Perfect O-Line For Falcons

Here is what I think a Perfect O-line for my Falcons would look like. Using current players and free agents.

LT= Jake Matthews | LG= Mike Iupati | Center = Joe Hawley | RG= Jon Asamoah | RT= Orlando Franklin

I'm sure Matty Ice would love that line. Athletic guys who all would be perfect in the outside zone scheme. Each of these Cats can run. Orlando was moved inside to Guard but is better at RT in my opinion.

Why is everyone sleeping on Konz perfect fit for him and you think he is not getting in his necessary form to play the position and don't forget about Carimi both are studs in the zone blocking scheme.... with Asamoah Matthews Hawley/Stone... Matt will be great maybe even 5000 yds. With a tight end coming from free agency with Freeman coming into his own with Duke Johnson & Ronnie Wingo and Tyler Varga we would be set

Why is everyone sleeping on Konz perfect fit for him and you think he is not getting in his necessary form to play the position and don't forget about Carimi both are studs in the zone blocking scheme.... with Asamoah Matthews Hawley/Stone... Matt will be great maybe even 5000 yds. With a tight end coming from free agency with Freeman coming into his own with Duke Johnson & Ronnie Wingo and Tyler Varga we would be set

Because Konz sucks especially in Pass Pro. He's just a big body guy trying to play football. Time to move on. Let him get another QB killed.

Here is what I think a Perfect O-line for my Falcons would look like. Using current players and free agents.

LT= Jake Matthews | LG= Mike Iupati | Center = Joe Hawley | RG= Jon Asamoah | RT= Orlando Franklin

I'm sure Matty Ice would love that line. Athletic guys who all would be perfect in the outside zone scheme. Each of these Cats can run. Orlando was moved inside to Guard but is better at RT in my opinion.

"Lacks adequate speed for the guard position. .... Because of sub-par speed, downfield blocking needs to get better. Struggles to get to the second level in the running game."

- http://www.nfl.com/draft/2010/profiles/mike-iupati?id=497016

Just screams perfect OG for a zone blocking scheme, right?

Lupati in a zbs? I ain't seeing that. He's an old school power run, marauder. Also if Franklin is let go by Broncos and not re-signed..buyer beware...Asamoah hit the market only because he was relegated to backup and Pioli obviously had intensively scouted him. If we don't like guys on roster I'd rather we drafted a RT early. With the rookie salary cap we can afford bookend tackles

Lupati in a zbs? I ain't seeing that. He's an old school power run, marauder. Also if Franklin is let go by Broncos and not re-signed..buyer beware...Asamoah hit the market only because he was relegated to backup and Pioli obviously had intensively scouted him. If we don't like guys on roster I'd rather we drafted a RT early. With the rookie salary cap we can afford bookend tackles

Iupati is very athletic for a guy his size. Franklin is a stud at Guard or Tackle. He has great feet and can move for a big dude. He's excellent in Pass Pro. I think Franklin is twice the player Scraeder is. Talk about two left feet. Watch the guy against speed rushers, he seemingly trips over himself. Franklin has excellent feet, long arms and dude can move. Asamoah has proven to be a stud and in college played in the outside zone blocking system. He has size and speed you want. He's great in Pass Pro.

Each of the starters I mentioned can all move and be very effective in the pass game.

Konz is weak in pass pro

Carimi is a swing gate in pass pro

There are two dark horse on this race and they are stone at guard and Mike Johnson at tackle. Both guys can move and does well in pass pro

Some of you guys scare the heck outta me. As bad as our OL was last year, the mere idea that we already have the perfect personnel on our team to run ANY type of blocking scheme, forget about what Shanahan wants, is unbelievable.

Let's not forget that Konz was getting bulldozed last season. As in he was getting dominated by defensive linemen on a regular. I don't care what the blocking scheme is, you can't mask that.

And now because Shanahan wants to bring the ZBS back to ATL, some of you guys want to believe Konz is a perfect fit for that system? How about acknowledging that this guy may not be good enough to play in the NFL and move on? We need AT LEAST two offense linemen this off season. Either via free agency, draft or combination of the two. Why? Because we are not set at LG or RT by any stretch of the imagination.

Mike Iupati Pre-draft measurables Ht Wt Arm length Hand size 40-yd dash 10-yd split 20-yd split 20-ss 3-cone Vert Broad BP Wonderlic 6 ft 5⅛ in 331 lb 34¾ in 10⅝ in 5.26 s 1.84 s 3.01 s 4.93 s 7.85 s 27½ in 7 ft 8 in 27 reps 13 All values from NFL combine[23][24]

Orlando Franklin Pre-draft measurables Ht Wt Arm length Hand size 40-yd dash 10-yd split 20-yd split 20-ss 3-cone Vert Broad BP 6 ft 6⅜ in 316 lb 35 in 11⅛ in 5.11 s 1.76 s 2.93 s 28½ in 26 reps All values from 2011 NFL Scouting Combine.[1][1][2]

Jake Matthews Pre-draft measurables Ht Wt Arm length Hand size 40-yd dash 10-yd split 20-yd split 20-ss 3-cone Vert Broad BP 6 ft 5½ in 308 lb 33⅜ in 9⅞ in 5.07 s 4.47 s 7.34 s 30½ in 8 ft 9 in 24 reps All values from NFL Combine[8]

I personally do not feel Iupati is a very good fit for Shanahan's offense. He doesn't move well enough and that is a big part of what he'll be asked to do. If we was running the same scheme as last season, I would be on-board with it, but after seeing him in SF over the last few years I think putting him in a ZBS is like trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.

Franklin on the other hand I believe may work. We'll see what his asking price is. If it's too high, then I'm sure the Falcons will pass. Just because they are in need of a couple of upgrades along the OL, there's no need to overpay for it.

I personally do not feel Iupati is a very good fit for Shanahan's offense. He doesn't move well enough and that is a big part of what he'll be asked to do. If we was running the same scheme as last season, I would be on-board with it, but after seeing him in SF over the last few years I think putting him in a ZBS is like trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.

Franklin on the other hand I believe may work. We'll see what his asking price is. If it's too high, then I'm sure the Falcons will pass. Just because they are in need of a couple of upgrades along the OL, there's no need to overpay for it.

How can you say Iupati does not move well. Where does that thought come from. Coming out of college he was praised for his athleticism and speed for a guy his size. He hasn't shown any slow down at this stage in his career. What is your thought based on? The guy is excellent in space. He pulls better than anyone out there and he moves like the wind.

Are you watching him or just saying this based on some interpretation of some sort

...How can you say Iupati does not move well. Where does that thought come from. Coming out of college he was praised for his athleticism and speed for a guy his size...

"Lacks adequate speed for the guard position. .... Because of sub-par speed, downfield blocking needs to get better. Struggles to get to the second level in the running game."

At the risk of repeating myself, the draft report I linked to disagrees with your "Coming out of college he was praised for his athleticism and speed" Theory

Iupati is a 330lb Mauler that could have run the ZBS his first year; but he can't move like he did his first year!!

Iupati ISN'T even close to a good fit for a ZBS, and Franklin is a LG

+1000

I wanted Iupati until we switched schemes, if we were running a Power run scheme, i would want Iupati, but he doesn't fit a ZBS at ALL

Matt is good enough that we can win without having the worlds best o-line. That being said I think we are one piece away (blalock's spot) from having a really good o-line. I've always been a Hawley fan and Stone did a great job in relief. Matthews and Asamoah are studs, and Shraeder did an excellent job at RT last year. I wouldn't mind seeing us grab a new OG in the third/fourth round or so.