Any News On Smitty?

Miller2Rison

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

blank still has to pay him right? I think coaches normally still get paid as long as they aren't working if they're fired. I'm not sure

It depends on the dates of his last contract. He received only a one-year extension after the 2013 season, and he wasn't fired - he just wasn't renewed. So if he's still drawing a paycheck it would only be if the 2014 contract hasn't yet run its full term. My guess, and it's only a guess, is that he'll still be on the payroll until the start of 2015 OTAs.

Re the 'not working' part, NFL contracts generally have offset language that requires due diligence by the released coach - he must be actively seeking work and must provide evidence that he's doing so. The terms are pretty stark, but the fact is that they're usually not enforced in high profile situations because of the negative impact it would have in coaching circles.

Edited by JOEinPHX

It depends on the dates of his last contract. He received only a one-year extension after the 2013 season, and he wasn't fired - he just wasn't renewed. So if he's still drawing a paycheck it would only be if the 2014 contract hasn't yet run its full term. My guess, and it's only a guess, is that he'll still be on the payroll until the start of 2015 OTAs.

Ok I got ya. Thanks

I haven't heard anything myself, other than the potential gig as a DC in Oakland --- but apparently he turned that one down, and they hired Ken Norton, Jr., today.
Personally, I wish Smitty the best! I believe he put his heart and soul into his job. And as a die-hard Falcons fan (since 1966) I for one, will always be appreciative of that ---
He'll be a HC again, either next year, or the next --- depending on what jobs become available!

Good Luck, Smitty!

Smitty was toast towards the end of the season. He needed to take this season off and just decompress. As far as his future, he's a firmly entrenched member of the NFL good-old-boy coaching fraternity. If and when he's ready to get back into the game, his fellow coaches will make a place for him. It's hard for me personally to believe he will ever be a HC again, but who knows? I wouldn't rule it out completely.

Agree with those sentiments KOG, FFS1970. These newer fans just don't get what Smitty has meant to us long time (suffering) fans. Smitty is a class act all the way, probably hopes the Falcons win a Super Bowl this year too. Lets just hope Matt Ryan does not get tired of the mess surrounding FB and decides to follow Smitty wherever he ends up at...our Falcons do have a history of losing our best players.

Guest facelessman07

Agree with those sentiments KOG, FFS1970. These newer fans just don't get what Smitty has meant to us long time (suffering) fans. Smitty is a class act all the way, probably hopes the Falcons win a Super Bowl this year too. Lets just hope Matt Ryan does not get tired of the mess surrounding FB and decides to follow Smitty wherever he ends up at...our Falcons do have a history of losing our best players.

Mess at Flowery Branch? Everything seems peachy from what I've seen thus far

And lol at Matt Ryan following Smitty wherever Smitty ends up at. Big time LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!