The Movie Thread

The Shotfather

9 minutes ago, VTCrunkler said:

I was thinking they got all the puddles and star and mud right for the scene.  

can you imagine living in trench warfare? 

No thanks. War scares the **** out of me. My brother and I saw Apocalypse Now two weeks after I registered for the draft and my entire perception of armed conflict changed. Then, Platoon really made me look at war movies differently. Especially the character Bunny.

I watch war movies now and instead of good guys and bad guys, I see our soldiers fighting conscripts of some other world leader who, like our presidents, never missed a night's rest thinking about what they're going through. Seriously, how the heck would you sleep in war? I know Viet Nam War vets who have memories they cannot even share for fear of PTSD affecting them.

So when I watch war movies, I'm restless for the entire run time. World War I movies are their own special brand of horror, with the trenches and mustard gas. But all recent war movies have done a good job of erasing the old John Wayne vs Cardboard Germans/Southeast Asians propaganda that I grew up watching. The first 20 minutes of Saving Private Ryan gives me nightmares.

So, my TL;DR to your question is: No. I can't imagine it. Mentally or physically, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have made it back. Our vets deserve as much love and support as they can get.

1 hour ago, JayOzOne said:

Our vets deserve as much love and support as they can get.

The best thing we could ever do for our vets is to stop sending more kids to war and making more of them. Especially when pretty much every war since WW2 has been based on greed and trying to strongarm our will on to others. 

8 hours ago, RandomFan said:

The best thing we could ever do for our vets is to stop sending more kids to war and making more of them. Especially when pretty much every war since WW2 has been based on greed and trying to strongarm our will on to others. 

Every war period has been based on somebody's greed or an attempt to strongarm will onto others. We've just been top dog since WWII. Not that that makes it right or justified, but it's humanity in a nutshell. Top dog gets to pontificate and be righteous with their beliefs. I consider it an effect of natural selection. Not an especially good one though.

23 minutes ago, Porkins said:

Every war period has been based on somebody's greed or an attempt to strongarm will onto others. We've just been top dog since WWII. Not that that makes it right or justified, but it's humanity in a nutshell. Top dog gets to pontificate and be righteous with their beliefs. I consider it an effect of natural selection. Not an especially good one though.

WW2 where allies combined to halt a fascist evil empire is the last war we should have been involved in, period. There has been nothing righteous about any and every war we've been involved in since then.  

And natural selection has nothing to do with a group of people being lucky enough to migrate to a land with many valuable resources that allows them to overpower people in less fortunate lands. 

But we've derailed the movie thread enough. I thought Black Panther was pretty solid, just a tad long. And the pacing was a bit slow in the middle. Solid entry though, just nowhere near the best that Marvel has offered. 

14 hours ago, JayOzOne said:

No thanks. War scares the **** out of me. My brother and I saw Apocalypse Now two weeks after I registered for the draft and my entire perception of armed conflict changed. Then, Platoon really made me look at war movies differently. Especially the character Bunny.

I watch war movies now and instead of good guys and bad guys, I see our soldiers fighting conscripts of some other world leader who, like our presidents, never missed a night's rest thinking about what they're going through. Seriously, how the heck would you sleep in war? I know Viet Nam War vets who have memories they cannot even share for fear of PTSD affecting them.

So when I watch war movies, I'm restless for the entire run time. World War I movies are their own special brand of horror, with the trenches and mustard gas. But all recent war movies have done a good job of erasing the old John Wayne vs Cardboard Germans/Southeast Asians propaganda that I grew up watching. The first 20 minutes of Saving Private Ryan gives me nightmares.

So, my TL;DR to your question is: No. I can't imagine it. Mentally or physically, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have made it back. Our vets deserve as much love and support as they can get.

I can’t imagine life in the trenches. That would be absolute horror. How could you sleep there?  I think There still was a big component of hand to hand combat. There’s another one, band of brothers that is in the saving private Ryan mold. 

looking at apocalypse now, tge cast was all star.  I never watched it but did watch platoon. And you’re right bunny was scary in that. Or that role. 

my MIL worked for the Va for years in their sleep department. Or whatever they called it. Lot of sleepless nights for many reasons.