• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I watched a few things since the last post. Hunt for the Wilderpeople This came out in 2016 and was written & directed by Tiaka Waititi (What We Do in the Shadows, Jojo Rabbit, Thor:Ragnarok, B

New DUNE trailer is out, looks epic.     

23 minutes ago, Big_Dog said:

Peanut Butter Falcon  -  A sleeper. Trust me!  You have to see this heart warming Down Syndrome kid team up with an outlaw.

Yep, I've heard the same. Might go see it today. Hey you ol' fart, did you go see once upon a time in Hollywood yet?  I'm telling you it's good, trust me. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/21/2019 at 6:47 PM, WhenFalconsWin said:

Just saw Ad Astra, it was average at best. Reviews built the movie up, not as advertised. 

The previews looked boring to me so I'm not surprised.

I think the whole outer space thing has jumped the shark a bit with quite a few films involving it over recent years.

It will have to take a very original and compelling story to make a space movie interesting to me now.

9 hours ago, DawnOfThemBirds said:

The previews looked boring to me so I'm not surprised.

I think the whole outer space thing has jumped the shark a bit with quite a few films involving it over recent years.

It will have to take a very original and compelling story to make a space movie interesting to me now.

The physics of space movies has turned me off. I could overlook sound and smoke in space in movies like Star Wars because it was fantasy (and I was 13 when I saw it). But then I learn that if someone was capable of traveling light years in a moment, they would be moments older on their return but everything to which they returned would be years older. You can theoretically bend space, but not time. And that ruined almost every "hyperspace" or "jump space" movie for me (especially Star Trek and Star Wars franchises). In addition to a few pretty good stories I was thinking about writing.

I was already wondering how you could avoid comets and space junk while traveling at faster than light speeds. Now, I wonder who supervises the Enterprise when Kirk and the rest of first shift goes home at the end of the day. And who cleans the place up. And whether every planet in occupied space has a 24-hour day and 365 day years. Or how in the world you could have real time communications between galaxies... Screw it. None of it is possible.

Now, movies like Ad Astra and Interstellar are trying to be halfway true to the laws of physics and they are too boring as a result. Hard sci fi is a great read but a hard watch. I'll exclude The Martian from that complaint. 

On 9/21/2019 at 6:47 PM, WhenFalconsWin said:

Just saw Ad Astra, it was average at best. Reviews built the movie up, not as advertised. 

On 9/23/2019 at 5:55 PM, JayOzOne said:

The physics of space movies has turned me off. I could overlook sound and smoke in space in movies like Star Wars because it was fantasy (and I was 13 when I saw it). But then I learn that if someone was capable of traveling light years in a moment, they would be moments older on their return but everything to which they returned would be years older. You can theoretically bend space, but not time. And that ruined almost every "hyperspace" or "jump space" movie for me (especially Star Trek and Star Wars franchises). In addition to a few pretty good stories I was thinking about writing.

I was already wondering how you could avoid comets and space junk while traveling at faster than light speeds. Now, I wonder who supervises the Enterprise when Kirk and the rest of first shift goes home at the end of the day. And who cleans the place up. And whether every planet in occupied space has a 24-hour day and 365 day years. Or how in the world you could have real time communications between galaxies... Screw it. None of it is possible.

Now, movies like Ad Astra and Interstellar are trying to be halfway true to the laws of physics and they are too boring as a result. Hard sci fi is a great read but a hard watch. I'll exclude The Martian from that complaint. 

Just saw AD Astra last night. It was better than I expected, but still not close to what it was advertised to be.

It was so so, but it isn't for everyone that's for sure. Especially for people who love movies with quite a bit of action in it, this isn't for them.

It's a slow cooker type of story pace.

1 minute ago, DawnOfThemBirds said:

Just saw AD Astra last night. It was better than I expected.

It was so so, but it isn't for everyone that's for sure. Especially for people who love movies with quite a bit of action in it, this isn't for them.

It's a slow cooker type of story pace.

Yup

On 9/23/2019 at 5:55 PM, JayOzOne said:

Now, movies like Ad Astra and Interstellar are trying to be halfway true to the laws of physics and they are too boring as a result.

I liked Ad Astra pretty well, but saying it's respectful of hard science is like saying Antonio Brown is a team-first player.

https://gizmodo.com/what-ad-astra-gets-wrong-about-space-travel-astronomy-1838363861

11 minutes ago, DawnOfThemBirds said:

I just wished that the Irishman had gotten a full fledged theatre run.

This movie is more than likely to be the last hurrah for De Niro, Pesci, and Scorsese teaming up. It has been an amazing run.

Did you read the book that it's based on? Great read imop I don't know if any theater in Savannah will carry it,probably have to see it on Netflix. 

34 minutes ago, thofin21 said:

Did you read the book that it's based on? Great read imop I don't know if any theater in Savannah will carry it,probably have to see it on Netflix. 

Never read the book. Probably will read it soon.

Probably Atlanta may be the only place that will screen the Irishman in Georgia, which sucks.

I would much rather watch this epic in a theatre than at home on Netflix, unless I had my own really nice home theatre setup.

1 hour ago, DawnOfThemBirds said:

Never read the book. Probably will read it soon.

Probably Atlanta may be the only place that will screen the Irishman in Georgia, which sucks.

I would much rather watch this epic in a theatre than at home on Netflix, unless I had my own really nice home theatre setup.

I would rather see it on the big screen but I do have a 55 inch ultra high definition with sound bar so ,Atlanta is a long drive with horrible traffic. 

• 4 weeks later...