The Shotfather

The Movie Thread

430 posts in this topic

I really do think that there is a lot to be said for stories that are arrow-straight set within a world that is completely chaotic. The two best movies I've seen in the past several years are The Revenant and Mad Max: Fury Road, and both of them are bone thin on actual plot, but completely full on story and character, which I've continuously expressed as my personal favorite aspect of any book, movie, or show.

Both of those movies have characters that feel like they have mountains of backstory, but instead of just shitting into the ears of the audience with contrived expository dialogue or energy sucking monologues, we're instead refreshingly shown their nuance through the interaction they have with their surrounding environments. By doing that, these worlds feel real and lived-in and teeming with the idea that a wide array of stories are happening off-camera, and the characters feel more real because of that. The plot of The Revenant can be summed up in a few seconds. "A man gets left for dead and uses the betrayal as the fuel for his survival." Likewise, Fury Road can be summed up as "A group of women who are slaves to a world created by men decide that they want to pave their own future. Also, Max makes a cameo."

Those movies aren't about those basic plot points though, they're simply the vehicles that our characters are driving, and I'd much rather see characters driving the plot than the other way around.

Edited by The Shotfather
slamee101 and mdrake34 like this

This past weekend I watched:

The Martian- Two thumbs up.

Captive- I enjoyed it. It was very informative and most folks around the ATL area will remember the Brian Nichols/Ashley Smith story.

Sisters- It's nowhere near as good as Baby's Mama.

This past weekend I watched:

The Martian- Two thumbs up.

Captive- I enjoyed it. It was very informative and most folks around the ATL area will remember the Brian Nichols/Ashley Smith story.

Sisters- It's nowhere near as good as Baby's Mama.

I like the Martian also

Looks like a sequel, without the actual monster.

The previews for the original didn't show the monster either, and you didn't see the monster for a while in the original movie. I imagine this one is the same, it will be about the folks in the bunker for a while, then they'll go out and the **** will hit the fan.

The previews for the original didn't show the monster either, and you didn't see the monster for a while in the original movie. I imagine this one is the same, it will be about the folks in the bunker for a while, then they'll go out and the **** will hit the fan.

True, but by the looks of this trailer, this whole movie could be based in that bomb shelter due to a nuke destroying the city, trying to kill that monster, that's what it looked like.

True, but by the looks of this trailer, this whole movie could be based in that bomb shelter due to a nuke destroying the city, trying to kill that monster, that's what it looked like.

Trailers are pretty deceiving nowadays, and rarely well done anymore. This one showed you just enough to get people interested. And the first was about the people just as much as the monster, and this looks to be the same.

Trailers are pretty deceiving nowadays, and rarely well done anymore. This one showed you just enough to get people interested. And the first was about the people just as much as the monster, and this looks to be the same.

I like it when trailers are deceiving and doesn't reveal too much. So many questions about this movie already, do they leave the shelter, do they stay in the shelter the whole time, will this movie explain if the monster is dead or still alive.

I watched The Revenant this weekend and it was pretty good.

I thought it was a good movie too, but I thought the movie dragged on too long.

I thought it was amazing. Best movie I've seen in a while. Also, I typically hate going to the movies, but I went to that one solo in the middle of the day (first time I've done that) and it was actually quite enjoyable.

The Shotfather likes this

I thought it was amazing. Best movie I've seen in a while. Also, I typically hate going to the movies, but I went to that one solo in the middle of the day (first time I've done that) and it was actually quite enjoyable.

I saw Creed with my dad around Christmas, but before that I can't remember the last time I saw a movie with another actual person. I get off work at 3:30 PM and when new movies come out I don't want to wait to go see them when most people I know typically get off around 5-6ish, so I just go around 4-4:30 and there's usually not a whole lot of people in the theater around that time, it's pretty great. Edited by The Shotfather

I saw Creed with my dad around Christmas, but before that I can't remember the last time I saw a movie with another actual person. I get off work at 3:30 PM and when new movies come out I don't want to wait to go see them when most people typically get off around 5-6ish, so I just go around 4-4:30 and there's usually not a whole lot of people in the theater around that time, it's pretty great.

I saw Star Wars TFA awakens by myself, went to Buffalo Wild Wings before, sat at the bar and watched some ****** bowl games while I had a couple of beers and some wings, then went to the theater.

I had a large time. It's not like you're talking to another person during the movie in the theater anyways.

I saw Creed with my dad around Christmas, but before that I can't remember the last time I saw a movie with another actual person. I get off work at 3:30 PM and when new movies come out I don't want to wait to go see them when most people I know typically get off around 5-6ish, so I just go around 4-4:30 and there's usually not a whole lot of people in the theater around that time, it's pretty great.

Man that's nice. It got me thinking when was the last time I saw a movie with my father? I think it was in 1968, Green Beret's, starring John Wayne.

Flip Wilson likes this

But it wasn't that good either.

It was decent and watchable.....for me anyway. It had it's moments. About 37 minutes in, the town scene that they show for a few seconds is where I live. I've done night photography from that same spot, so it was neat to see. No telling how much the city is getting in royalties for that 3 seconds.