The Shotfather

The Movie Thread

448 posts in this topic

I hate going to the movies but for some reason I wanna go see that one. Thinking about hitting a matinee on Wednesday or Thursday. I'm gonna base my decision solely on whether or not you tell me I should go.

Yeah, I've had a thing for Piper Perabo (Angier's first assistant and wife) for about 15 years, too.

I wish she could've had a bigger career. She did get naked in Looper, though, and I'm thankful for that.

Yeah, I've had a thing for Piper Perabo (Angier's first assistant and wife) for about 15 years, too.

I wish she could've had a bigger career. She did get naked in Looper, though, and I'm thankful for that.

She got naked and had lesbian sex scenes in Lost and Delirious.

Billy Ocean likes this

Great acting and stellar cinematography. I was entertained the whole way through. I'd give it like a B+.

If I had to choose a best friend to journey through life with, I'm not sure who I'd pick between Michael Caine and Morgan Freeman.

Mr. Freeman.

237712363.jpg

Going to use my AMC gift card for The Revanant today after work. Bart Scott.

Obviously the bear scene was awesome. Overall I was a little disappointed, I was expecting more from the movie.

I hate going to the movies but for some reason I wanna go see that one. Thinking about hitting a matinee on Wednesday or Thursday. I'm gonna base my decision solely on whether or not you tell me I should go.

Well if you ask me, this is definitely a movie you're going to want to see in the theater. I don't think it's a stretch to say that it's probably the most gorgeous movie that's ever been filmed. One of the few times that I've been so pulled into a movie that I could actually feel how ******* cold everyone must have been.

There is one particularly brutal scene in the movie, and despite the fact that I was in the theater with about 5 other people, everyone was visibly squirming in their seats and a couple of them were yelling "UGH! OH! Stop!" :lol: it was definitely hard to watch.

DiCaprio and Hardy were unbelievable, and Domhnall Gleeson was as good as he always is. I don't know that visually there will ever be another movie like it, but I definitely hope so, because it's a pretty great way to shoot a movie, using nothing but natural light.

silentbob1272 likes this

I too...loved Piper Perabo and thought she was headed for stardom after Coyote Ugly. *shrugs

I heard Revenant was incredible and too much but in a good way. Hoping to check it out Thursday.

Going to use my AMC gift card for The Revanant today after work. Bart Scott.

The Revanant was incredible. If Hugh Glass went through half the **** they portray in this movie. That was one bad man.

I've mentioned my unreasonable fear terror of bears on here before, yea that scene pretty well scarred me for life, the delay in between was beyond intense.

Leo was awesome. What that guy did for this role was incredible. he actually ate the raw bison liver, and his reaction to it on screen was genuine, and that Empire Strikes Back sleeping accommodation, that was apparently real as well, not to mention getting hypothermia.

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2015/12/leonardo-dicaprio-the-revenant-raw-bison-liver

Obviously the bear scene was awesome. Overall I was a little disappointed, I was expecting more from the movie.

Really? What more were you expecting? The cinematography was the most immersive that I have ever seen, in fact I have not seen anything shot like this before, the performances were phenomenal, the story was simple, but engaging and believable. I think it was DiCaprio's best ever.

Well if you ask me, this is definitely a movie you're going to want to see in the theater. I don't think it's a stretch to say that it's probably the most gorgeous movie that's ever been filmed. One of the few times that I've been so pulled into a movie that I could actually feel how ******* cold everyone must have been.

There is one particularly brutal scene in the movie, and despite the fact that I was in the theater with about 5 other people, everyone was visibly squirming in their seats and a couple of them were yelling "UGH! OH! Stop!" laugh.png it was definitely hard to watch.

DiCaprio and Hardy were unbelievable, and Domhnall Gleeson was as good as he always is. I don't know that visually there will ever be another movie like it, but I definitely hope so, because it's a pretty great way to shoot a movie, using nothing but natural light.

I only go to the movies now to see those that seem worth it to see on the big screen. A movie like Creed, while it was very good, was just as good in my living room as it would have been on the big screen. A movie like this was completely worth seeing in the theatre.

I only go to the movies now to see those that seem worth it to see on the big screen. A movie like Creed, while it was very good, was just as good in my living room as it would have been on the big screen. A movie like this was completely worth seeing in the theatre.

Yeah I'm doing the same thing. I'm not going to go see Carol or Room in the theater, but stuff like The Revanant, Mad Max, and Star Wars? Yeah those are must watch in the theater type movies. I did go see Creed in the theater around Christmas with my dad, and that was a really cool theater experience because people were actually cheering Donnie on like we were all watching a real fight.

Really? What more were you expecting? The cinematography was the most immersive that I have ever seen, in fact I have not seen anything shot like this before, the performances were phenomenal, the story was simple, but engaging and believable. I think it was DiCaprio's best ever.

The cinematography was great, but I've seen that in a lot of movies that had a much better story. I was almost bored to be honest, the story line was not enough to keep me engaged.

I really do think that there is a lot to be said for stories that are arrow-straight set within a world that is completely chaotic. The two best movies I've seen in the past several years are The Revenant and Mad Max: Fury Road, and both of them are bone thin on actual plot, but completely full on story and character, which I've continuously expressed as my personal favorite aspect of any book, movie, or show.

Both of those movies have characters that feel like they have mountains of backstory, but instead of just shitting into the ears of the audience with contrived expository dialogue or energy sucking monologues, we're instead refreshingly shown their nuance through the interaction they have with their surrounding environments. By doing that, these worlds feel real and lived-in and teeming with the idea that a wide array of stories are happening off-camera, and the characters feel more real because of that. The plot of The Revenant can be summed up in a few seconds. "A man gets left for dead and uses the betrayal as the fuel for his survival." Likewise, Fury Road can be summed up as "A group of women who are slaves to a world created by men decide that they want to pave their own future. Also, Max makes a cameo."

Those movies aren't about those basic plot points though, they're simply the vehicles that our characters are driving, and I'd much rather see characters driving the plot than the other way around.

Edited by The Shotfather
mdrake34 and slamee101 like this

This past weekend I watched:

The Martian- Two thumbs up.

Captive- I enjoyed it. It was very informative and most folks around the ATL area will remember the Brian Nichols/Ashley Smith story.

Sisters- It's nowhere near as good as Baby's Mama.

This past weekend I watched:

The Martian- Two thumbs up.

Captive- I enjoyed it. It was very informative and most folks around the ATL area will remember the Brian Nichols/Ashley Smith story.

Sisters- It's nowhere near as good as Baby's Mama.

I like the Martian also

Looks like a sequel, without the actual monster.

The previews for the original didn't show the monster either, and you didn't see the monster for a while in the original movie. I imagine this one is the same, it will be about the folks in the bunker for a while, then they'll go out and the **** will hit the fan.

The previews for the original didn't show the monster either, and you didn't see the monster for a while in the original movie. I imagine this one is the same, it will be about the folks in the bunker for a while, then they'll go out and the **** will hit the fan.

True, but by the looks of this trailer, this whole movie could be based in that bomb shelter due to a nuke destroying the city, trying to kill that monster, that's what it looked like.