The Shotfather

The Movie Thread

448 posts in this topic

Correction for accuracy: Callum Lynch is the name of Fassbender's present-day character. The ancestor whose memories he will be re-living and the character pictured is named Aguilar, who is a 15th-Century Spanish assassin.

It's cool that they went with a completely unique story to kickstart the movie side of the Assassin's Creed franchise. I wouldn't mind some Easter Eggs or references to the characters from the games but I think it's smart to not handcuff themselves with the burden of adaptation. This is a story that is very hard to get wrong, and you could have a new protagonist for every single movie.

I'm hoping this movie and Warcraft will show studios that it's ok to do video game adaptations as long as you have people involved who know what the **** they're doing and understand the material instead of just trying to cash in on brand recognition with zero regard for the story they're telling.

Have already watched Fury Road twice since buying it on bluray to go along with the 2 times I saw it in the theater. Man, this ******* movie.

Finally rented Fury Road on blu ray. Not sure why I have a blu ray player or 55 inch wide screen tv if the ******* blu Ray still has black letter boxes and the picture doesn't fit the screen without zooming.

Finally watched American Sniper. Good story, but only ok as a movie. I dunno.

I thought Bradley Cooper knocked his performance out of the park. Other than that and the direction, it was nothing special. As far as Iraq/Afghanistan war movies go, it's behind Zero Dark Thirty and The Hurt Locker.

I thought Bradley Cooper knocked his performance out of the park. Other than that and the direction, it was nothing special. As far as Iraq/Afghanistan war movies go, it's behind Zero Dark Thirty and The Hurt Locker.

I don't even know if Cooper knocked the performance out of the park. He just talked with a Texas accent to me. Yeah, he did the blank stare several times while he was home and experiencing PTSD, and he had a couple of emotional scenes, but it didn't grab me as a performance. However, I didn't realize he lead missions on the ground as well, I thought he mostly provided support for the boots on the ground. I thought it was going to be 2 hours of him picking off bad guys, so that was interesting that he got down and lead door-to-doors.

The movie itself felt disjointed though. I know it was a lot to fit into one movie, but it was like a series of segments instead of a cohesive movie.

Agree that ZDT and THL are superior films in this genre.

Jeremy Irons and Brendan Gleason join the cast of Assassin's Creed. At the very least they seem to seriously want to make this a good movie by putting together an incredibly talented cast.

I'm hoping this movie allows studios to see the potential in video game movies again if you treat them seriously and don't just use the name.

mdrake34 likes this

Popular video games are as good as any other source of intellectual property to turn into two hours of things happening on a screen and hopefully a nine figure opening weekend worldwide, the problem is a AAA movie about a video game is almost necessarily going to be a negotiation between keeping with the source material and making something accessible and explodey, and it's safer to lean towards the latter while merely pandering to fans with references and the promise of sequels that will make more references.

Not that that's a fresh observation or anything, but it's worth keeping in mind that if "this is the one," the success it breeds probably won't be the kind that makes people buy into video games as things that should be regarded as artistic expressions

I don't play video games anymore, haven't touched a controller for like 2 years, but I do think there are a ton of games that can make great movies.

I've complained about this a million times, but I don't understand the mindset that studios/writers/directors have when it comes to adaptation. Changing things around for budgetary reasons is understandable, but don't change the story and don't change the ******* characters. I read or played this story that I loved, and now I want to see that transferred into live action.

The problem with every video game movie to date is that nobody who made or wrote the games is ever involved. At least Ubisoft is heavily involved in the writing process for this movie, even if it is not an actual adaptation. Although it probably is a rejected game idea that's being repurposed.

Honestly I think the studios figure it's better to put out something vanilla and see what sticks rather than chase fans who are probably going to watch regardless of what it actually turns out to be as long as it's decent entertainment and at least acknowledges their nostalgia. You have to be able to sell the idea of any number of sequels packaged into the first movie even if the video games take a turn that more or less rules out using any of that storyline past a certain point. To be able to use intellectual property without being tethered to any specific element of what characterizes that property is exactly what makes them so valuable and so tempting to rely on when putting together a summer blockbuster.