The Shotfather

The Movie Thread

434 posts in this topic

The first preview for John Wick I ever saw was cringe worthy, or so I thought. Then it got universally praised that first weekend and I had to go see it. I've watched it twice now. The choreography is awesome and the slightly over the top characters were great as well.

Watched Nighcrawler on Netflix today. Intended to watch Dredd, only to,realize Netflix ditched it in February. It was pretty good. I liked Gyllenhaal better in Prisoners, which is a really underrated movie.

The Shotfather likes this

A large portion of Prisoners was filmed 5 minutes away from my place. One part of which took place in the adjacent neighborhood from mine. I watched a lot of that movie being filmed while smoking a bowl on my friends back porch.

Funny thing about that movie is that it takes place in Conyers, Pennsylvania despite the fact that there is no such place. They didn't want to have to shoot around certain parts or monuments of Conyers, Georgia that displayed the city name so they just created a fake city and changed all the license plates on the cars to Pennsylvania ones.

Edited by The Shotfather

A large portion of Prisoners was filmed 5 minutes away from my place. One part of which took place in the adjacent neighborhood from mine. I watched a lot of that movie being filmed while smoking a bowl on my friends back porch.

Funny thing about that movie is that it takes place in Conyers, Pennsylvania despite the fact that there is no such place. They didn't want to have to shoot around certain parts or monuments of Conyers, Georgia that displayed the city name so they just created a fake city and changed all the license plates on the cars to Pennsylvania ones.

That movie didn't have to be set in Pennsylvania, the ******* could have gave Conyers GA some love.

That movie didn't have to be set in Pennsylvania, the ******* could have gave Conyers GA some love.

Me and my dad talked about this a couple months ago. I watched the movie with him because I wanted to point out certain shots that I knew he would recognize. For whatever reason he was fascinated by the fact that a movie was shooting on roads that he drove down every day, but he also got angry at the fact that they didn't just set the movie in Conyers, GA.

"Why did this movie have to take place in a fake Pennsylvania city instead of a real Georgia one?!"

Don't know pops, makes no ******* sense at all. No part of that story required it to be set in Pennsylvania. Great ******* movie, but the technical aspects of it are downright nonsensical.

Edited by The Shotfather

Me and my dad talked about this a couple months ago. I watched the movie with him because I wanted to point out certain shots that I knew he would recognize. For whatever reason he was fascinated by the fact that a movie was shooting on roads that he drove down every day, but he also got angry at the fact that they didn't just set the movie in Conyers, GA.

"Why did this movie have to take place in a fake Pennsylvania city instead of a real Georgia one?!"

Don't know pops, makes no ******* sense at all. No part of that story required it to be set in Pennsylvania. Great ******* movie, but the technical aspects of it are downright nonsensical.

Exactly. There is nothing to my recollection about it being in Pennsylvania that was relevant to the story.

I'm finally going to see Hard to be a God this week.

Supposed to be beyond gritty.

"When legendary Russian auteur Aleksei German died in 2013, he left behind this extraordinary final film, a phantasmagoric adaptation of the revered sci-fi novel by the Strugatsky brothers (authors of the source novel for Tarkovsky's STALKER). HARD TO BE A GOD began percolating in German's consciousness in the mid-1960s, and would actively consume him for the last 15 years of his life. Happily, he brought the film close enough to completion for his wife and son to apply the finishing touches immediately after his passing. Taking place on the planet Arkanar, which is in the midst of its own Middle Ages, the film focuses on Don Rumata, one of a group of earth scientists who have been sent to Arkanar with the proviso that they must not interfere in the planet's political or historical development. Treated by the planet's natives as a kind of divinity, Don Rumata is both godlike and impotent in the face of its chaos and brutality."

from the NY Times:

"The roiling setting alone enforces a medieval mind-set that feels genuine: brutal yet often jovially rambunctious and crude, pre-psychological in its sense of the cheapness of life and yet rich with local custom and detail. Our chaotic journey makes Werner Herzog’s “Aguirre, Wrath of God” look like “Downton Abbey.”"

This is the one I've been wanting to see. How was it?

After hearing so much at Kingsmen, I think I'm about to watch it this afternoon.

Yes. The church scene is worth the price of admission alone. If you don't pay, even better!

Sadly, my media center was being a turd and I spent most of yesterday afternoon getting it updated and fixing a folder monitoring issue that it was having. The kiddo is spending the night with my in-laws, so I might be able to watch it tonight.

Ex Machina was a really cool movie. Anybody see it?

Just watched it....Very well written and creepy...not as creepy as Her but still pretty creepy.

Martin Scorsese and Leonardo DiCaprio teaming up again for The Devil in the White City.

http://collider.com/leonardo-dicaprio-martin-scorsese-devil-in-the-white-city/

Peanut butter and jelly. Spaghetti and meatballs. Lamb and tuna fish. Some pairs are just perfect together. Add Leonardo DiCaprio and Martin Scorsese to your list, if they werent on it already. The actor and director are set to team up once again in The Devil in the White City, the long-awaited adaptation of Erik Larsons non-fiction book about Americas first serial killer, H.H. Holmes, who murdered an untold number (27 to 200) of people at the 1893 Chicago Worlds Fair. DiCaprio will play that very villain, which is certainly a departure from his usual neutral-to-heroic protagonists, so maybe this will be the role that finally lands DiCaprio the Oscar thats eluded him.

As Deadline reports, Paramount has finally closed a deal to acquire Larsons The Devil In The White City: Murder, Magic and Madness at the Fair That Changed America, outlasting five other studios, including the aggressive pursuit of Universal and Fox. It puts DiCaprio and Scorsese together for their sixth collaboration, with a script by Oscar-nominated screenwriter Billy Ray (Captain Phillips). Weve been following this one since late 2010, but the project seems to have gained momentum due to Warner Bros. letting their adaptation rights lapse last month, and because Ray recently cracked a difficult part of the story. His treatment for the two main characters the man in charge of putting on the Worlds Fair, and Holmes, who worked for him to gain access to victims injected new life into the story, so to speak.

Previously, Graham Moore had been tapped to pen an adaptation of the book that centered on Holmes construction of the Worlds Fair Hotel, which became known as the murder castle." Holmes included a gas chamber, crematorium and a dissecting table in order to properly study his guests after their untimely demise. DiCaprio and Scorsese are going to have a field day with this one.

Not long after Jack the Ripper haunted the ill-lit streets of 1888 London, H.H. Holmes (born Herman Webster Mudgett) dispatched somewhere between 27 and 200 people, mostly single young women, in the churning new metropolis of Chicago; many of the murders occurred during (and exploited) the citys finest moment, the Worlds Fair of 1893. Larsons breathtaking new history is a novelistic yet wholly factual account of the fair and the mass murderer who lurked within it.

devil_in_the_white_city_book_cover_erik_

Edited by The Shotfather
Jimsmusic™ likes this

Just saw the trailer for The Suicide Squad.

I am literally geeking out.

That movie is going to be excellent.

It's gonna be a **** good movie. I wouldn't be surprised if that movie makes BvS and Civil War look average.

I have high hopes for it and Deadpool

Statick likes this

This is the one I've been wanting to see. How was it?

Plans fell through with my buddy who has the movie, but then I found out it was recently added to Netflix streaming. I tried watching it, but got lost really quickly.

Because it's so relentlessly intense visually, it's hard to read the subtitles. You naturally want to watch what is happening.

I feel like I will need to watch it a few times focusing on the subtitles, and then once I'm really familiar with the story, I can hopefully watch the visuals & be able to take it all in.

Ex Machina was a really cool movie. Anybody see it?

Saw it in the theatre & liked it. Not mind blowing or a super original plot, but cool to see a big Hollywood movie made in the stylings of an early 70's sci-fi flick... slow pacing, minimal cast, minimal location, emphasis on emotion & psychology rather than constant explosions & over the top characters.