The Shotfather

The Movie Thread

434 posts in this topic

I wanted to get everyone's thoughts on the upcoming movies this year. What are you most excited for? For me, it's Jurrasic World

Star Wars

Avengers 2

Batman vs Superman

Jurrasic Park

Terminator Ant man

I wanted to get everyone's thoughts on the upcoming movies this year. What are you most excited for? For me, it's Jurrasic World

Star Wars

Avengers 2

Batman vs Superman

Jurrasic Park

Terminator Ant man

avengers 2

Star Wars

Avengers 2

Batman vs Superman

Jurrasic Park

Terminator Ant man

Most excited right now about the 2nd Avengers movie. Batman vs Superman is still over a year away.

Been on an action kick lately and have watched John Wick, Dredd, and Fury in the past couple of days. Loved the **** out of all of them.

John Wick was probably the best of all of them. Keanu Reeves is such a ******* badass in that movie, and the fight choreography is fun as all ****.

Dredd was awesome also. My favorite aspect of the movie is that Karl Urban does not once take his helmet off, he's just Judge Dredd the entire time as he stalks through a single tower. It's like The Raid meets RoboCop and its glorious. Lena Headey is also incredible as MaMa, as she always is.

Fury was just a fun, insanely tense movie with some really balls out action. And say what you want about The Boof, but the guy can act his ******* *** off. If he could ever just quit being such a ******* jerkoff he could be one of the better actors of his generation.

I have to disagree with the American Sniper assessment. I thought it was awesome. Most kills in military history, any other rendition would've completely missed on the human element making him a folklore hero. Instead, the movie did an amazing job balancing his humanity and struggles with his battlefield heroics. It wasn't too sappy but had enough where it was entertaining for both male and female audiences. Great movie.

Yep saw Ted 2 last night as well, and it was way funnier than any of the reviews said it was. I may have laughed even harder at this one than the first one. Mark Wahlberg still sucks and I really wish Johnny was played by someone else, but it's a small complaint.

Amanda Seyfried :wub:

Got the hugest nerd boner ever at the Jurassic Park reference.

Edited by The Shotfather

This week I have watched Edge of Tomorrow (Groundhogs Day meets Starship Troopers) and Kingsman......I recommend both.

I've been an Edge of Tomorrow spokesman since I walked out of the theater lol. And Kingsmen was pure insanity in the purest form. Loved it as well.

Yep saw Ted 2 last night as well, and it was way funnier than any of the reviews said it was. I may have laughed even harder at this one than the first one. Mark Wahlberg still sucks and I really wish Johnny was played by someone else, but it's a small complaint.

I said after seeing it that that was the best use of the John Williams peice ever, including Jurassic Park.

And Liam Neeson was amazing.

Been on an action kick lately and have watched John Wick, Dredd, and Fury in the past couple of days. Loved the **** out of all of them.

John Wick was probably the best of all of them. Keanu Reeves is such a ******* badass in that movie, and the fight choreography is fun as all ****.

Dredd was awesome also. My favorite aspect of the movie is that Karl Urban does not once take his helmet off, he's just Judge Dredd the entire time as he stalks through a single tower. It's like The Raid meets RoboCop and its glorious. Lena Headey is also incredible as MaMa, as she always is.

Fury was just a fun, insanely tense movie with some really balls out action. And say what you want about The Boof, but the guy can act his ******* *** off. If he could ever just quit being such a ******* jerkoff he could be one of the better actors of his generation.

Fury is on my on demand right now, I've been meaning to watch it. Been meaning to watch Dredd on Netfkix also, I love the Stallone one, even though it's not a good movie, at all. I keep getting recommended John Wick, but the previews just looked so dumb.

Really surprised by this, the previews make it look like the least funny movie ever made. I'll check it out when it hits HBO.

I'm finally going to see Hard to be a God this week.

Supposed to be beyond gritty.

"When legendary Russian auteur Aleksei German died in 2013, he left behind this extraordinary final film, a phantasmagoric adaptation of the revered sci-fi novel by the Strugatsky brothers (authors of the source novel for Tarkovsky's STALKER). HARD TO BE A GOD began percolating in German's consciousness in the mid-1960s, and would actively consume him for the last 15 years of his life. Happily, he brought the film close enough to completion for his wife and son to apply the finishing touches immediately after his passing. Taking place on the planet Arkanar, which is in the midst of its own Middle Ages, the film focuses on Don Rumata, one of a group of earth scientists who have been sent to Arkanar with the proviso that they must not interfere in the planet's political or historical development. Treated by the planet's natives as a kind of divinity, Don Rumata is both godlike and impotent in the face of its chaos and brutality."

from the NY Times:

"The roiling setting alone enforces a medieval mind-set that feels genuine: brutal yet often jovially rambunctious and crude, pre-psychological in its sense of the cheapness of life and yet rich with local custom and detail. Our chaotic journey makes Werner Herzog’s “Aguirre, Wrath of God” look like “Downton Abbey.”"

Really surprised by this, the previews make it look like the least funny movie ever made. I'll check it out when it hits HBO.

Eh I'm not as much of a snob when it comes to comedy. It's pretty easy to get me to laugh at something, even when it's not supposed to be funny. If you like Seth McFarlane and you like Family Guy there isn't much of a reason I can think of why you wouldn't like Ted 2.

Eh I'm not as much of a snob when it comes to comedy. It's pretty easy to get me to laugh at something, even when it's not supposed to be funny. If you like Seth McFarlane and you like Family Guy there isn't much of a reason I can think of why you wouldn't like Ted 2.

I read a fairly scathing review on Grantland that spoiled one funny part early on (at the clinic), but the court room scenes asking if he has soul were a bit much for me. But I trust McFarlane to deliver stuff you can show in the previews.

I almost turned off a million ways to die in the west at numerous points. Charlize Theron kept me from it, but I was pretty disappointed in that one.

I laughed at a lot of **** in A Million Ways To Die In The West, so who knows. There's just something about McFarlane's delivery and references that really cracks me up. Plus yeah, Charlize Theron. Painful to look at.

I laughed at a lot of **** in A Million Ways To Die In The West, so who knows. There's just something about McFarlane's delivery and references that really cracks me up. Plus yeah, Charlize Theron. Painful to look at.

did you mean black *****?
The Shotfather likes this

I've been an Edge of Tomorrow spokesman since I walked out of the theater lol. And Kingsmen was pure insanity in the purest form. Loved it as well.

I need to watch Kingsmen too. If I saw the ******* preview for it one more time I would have gone postal though.

Saw Ted 2 recently as well. It definitely had its moments but I thought the 1st was funnier (at least the 1st time I saw it). I'll have to give it another go on DVD as I had a bad experience. When we saw it, mom and dad of the year brought their 3 children, all appeared to be under the age of 12, to the movie. Not only that, but mom and dad let them sit wherever they wanted. The chose the same row as my wife and I, 2 seats down. Ten minutes in, we both had already shushed them and I bluntly told them to shut up. Mom and dad were 20 rows down having a grand old time at the movies though.

Jurrassic World

Took my 11 y/o last night. Once again, we walked out in agreement that it was totally fun and entertaining but a horrible movie.

Guilty pleasures are fine, but why can't we have fun AND quality?

Was it supposed to be funny? Scary? Or just child friendly scary? All of the human chomping bits were just funny . . . like "Deep Blue Sea" with the genetically enhanced sharks. Maybe its something about genetically enhanced animals that prevents them from actually being scary.

The dialogue was ridiculous. The divorce subplot unnecessary and, ultimately, totally unresolved. The romantic interest was comical, and the lead was a caricature of a stereotype.

But it's fun watching dinosaurs duke it out without feeling like you are watching a cartoon, so there is credit there.

The Legendary SB likes this