The Shotfather

The Movie Thread

433 posts in this topic

56 minutes ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

It's totally worth watching, man. I'm telling you. It's so bad its enjoyable. A good group movie. 

it's so horrible it exits the other side into comedy gold

@lostone

Plot

In the late 1970s, Barry Seal is a pilot for commercial airline TWA. A CIA agent, Monty Schafer, contacts him and asks him to fly clandestine reconnaissance missions for the CIA over South America using a small plane with cameras installed. Seal accepts.

Later in the 1970s, Schafer asks Seal to start acting as a courier between the CIA and General Noriega in Panama. During a mission, the Medellin Cartel picks Seal up and asks him to fly cocaine on his return flights to the USA. Seal accepts and starts flying the cartel’s cocaine to Louisiana. The CIA turns a blind eye to the drug smuggling, but the DEA tracks Seal down. Schafer warns Seal, who moves to a remote town in Arkansas called Mena.

Later, Schafer asks Seal to run guns to the Contras. Seal soon realizes that the Contras are not serious, so he starts delivering the guns to the cartel. The CIA set up a Contra training base in Mena and Seal flies the Contras in, but most of them disappear as soon as they arrive.

Eventually, the CIA shut the program down and abandon Seal to the FBI, DEA and other law enforcement. Seal escapes prosecution by making a deal with the White House, which wants evidence the Sandinistas are drug traffickers. They ask Seal to get photos that tie the Medelin Cartel to the Sandinistas. Seal manages to get the pictures and the White House releases them as propaganda against the Sandinistas. The cartel now want Seal dead. Also, as Seal is in the pictures himself, he’s arrested.

Seal is convicted, and given community service which means he has to report to the same Salvation Army hostel each night. Eventually, assassins shoot and kill him. The CIA then seize all the evidence to avoid being implicated in drug smuggling.

27 minutes ago, Billy Ocean said:

@lostone

Plot

In the late 1970s, Barry Seal is a pilot for commercial airline TWA. A CIA agent, Monty Schafer, contacts him and asks him to fly clandestine reconnaissance missions for the CIA over South America using a small plane with cameras installed. Seal accepts.

Later in the 1970s, Schafer asks Seal to start acting as a courier between the CIA and General Noriega in Panama. During a mission, the Medellin Cartel picks Seal up and asks him to fly cocaine on his return flights to the USA. Seal accepts and starts flying the cartel’s cocaine to Louisiana. The CIA turns a blind eye to the drug smuggling, but the DEA tracks Seal down. Schafer warns Seal, who moves to a remote town in Arkansas called Mena.

Later, Schafer asks Seal to run guns to the Contras. Seal soon realizes that the Contras are not serious, so he starts delivering the guns to the cartel. The CIA set up a Contra training base in Mena and Seal flies the Contras in, but most of them disappear as soon as they arrive.

Eventually, the CIA shut the program down and abandon Seal to the FBI, DEA and other law enforcement. Seal escapes prosecution by making a deal with the White House, which wants evidence the Sandinistas are drug traffickers. They ask Seal to get photos that tie the Medelin Cartel to the Sandinistas. Seal manages to get the pictures and the White House releases them as propaganda against the Sandinistas. The cartel now want Seal dead. Also, as Seal is in the pictures himself, he’s arrested.

Seal is convicted, and given community service which means he has to report to the same Salvation Army hostel each night. Eventually, assassins shoot and kill him. The CIA then seize all the evidence to avoid being implicated in drug smuggling.

Good lord...

1 hour ago, Dago 3.0 said:

it's so horrible it exits the other side into comedy gold

Totally. And I typically don't get down with stuff like that. 

But this is sooooo poorly done that I cant help but enjoy it. 

Just now, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

Totally. And I typically don't get down with stuff like that. 

But this is sooooo poorly done that I cant help but enjoy it. 

btw....totally agree with you on the character development of the kids. They did a very good job with the time limit they had, but wish they had added another 20 minutes for it. The part of the book with the dam would have probably been sufficient

5 minutes ago, mdrake34 said:

The more Blade Runner 2049 trailers I see, the more excited I get. I may have to go see that one in theaters. 

Arrival was really great so I've got high hopes. Even if Gosling struggles to get that vacant look off of his mug. 

3 minutes ago, Dago 3.0 said:

btw....totally agree with you on the character development of the kids. They did a very good job with the time limit they had, but wish they had added another 20 minutes for it. The part of the book with the dam would have probably been sufficient

They cut one of the most striking scenes from the book and it kinda mad me sad. That kid who got snagged in the sewers is the whacko kid that hangs out with Bowers. He's got that refrigerator in the book and he's attacked by the weird flying white leeches that fill up with blood. 

That part of the book has never left me. I think about it regularly. I really wish it could have made it into the movie. 

More time to work could have done wonders for an already good movie. 

Given that we've entered into a King Renaissance, I really hope that they decide to go with TV for the Stand. Invest in the source material, find quality folks to worth with and give that piece of art its proper due.  

39 minutes ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

They cut one of the most striking scenes from the book and it kinda mad me sad. That kid who got snagged in the sewers is the whacko kid that hangs out with Bowers. He's got that refrigerator in the book and he's attacked by the weird flying white leeches that fill up with blood. 

That part of the book has never left me. I think about it regularly. I really wish it could have made it into the movie. 

More time to work could have done wonders for an already good movie. 

Given that we've entered into a King Renaissance, I really hope that they decide to go with TV for the Stand. Invest in the source material, find quality folks to worth with and give that piece of art its proper due.  

yeah I kind of figured the Patrick Hocksetter storyline wouldn't make it in as a sacrifice to the movie gods time restraints

if they do The Stand as a movie, it won't work. However, I am getting a bit tired of some of these writers making changes just for the sake of making changes. It was not necessary to change American Gods as much as they have. If you have brilliant source material, just follow it for crying out loud. If the guy making the changes was as good as the original author he wouldn't be stuck in a cubicle adapting books for tv

12 minutes ago, Dago 3.0 said:

yeah I kind of figured the Patrick Hocksetter storyline wouldn't make it in as a sacrifice to the movie gods time restraints

if they do The Stand as a movie, it won't work. However, I am getting a bit tired of some of these writers making changes just for the sake of making changes. It was not necessary to change American Gods as much as they have. If you have brilliant source material, just follow it for crying out loud. If the guy making the changes was as good as the original author he wouldn't be stuck in a cubicle adapting books for tv

I guess they're planning on it being a 4 part film series. That just sounds like a bad idea. If you're insistent on trying to make the big bucks from a movie, just plan on doing the last chapter as a movie. The drive on vegas, in this case. 

There's soooooo much content before that. 8 hours in a theater isn't enough time to give it the time and attention it deserves. What are there...15 well-developed characters in the Stand? 20? It's screaming for a series adaptation. 

I agree on the making changes thing. Unfortunately, I dont have any experience with American Gods in any form so I can't speak to what they've done. But yeah, very few changes have been beneficial, IMO. If you want your own series of events, write your own book. 

6 minutes ago, Dago 3.0 said:

needs to be HBO imo

who would play The Kid?

I dunno. I just checked and The Kid wasn't in the miniseries.

FX is a really good network, though. Not stingy, like AMC, or stupid, like Starz.

FX original series have a nice track record and the O.J. miniseries was really entertaining.

1 minute ago, Billy Ocean said:

I dunno. I just checked and The Kid wasn't in the miniseries.

FX is a really good network, though. Not stingy and stupid like AMC.

FX original series have a nice track record and the O.J. miniseries was really entertaining.

nothing against FX....my insistence on HBO was more due to language and violence

1 hour ago, Billy Ocean said:

I'd like to see FX or HBO do it.

I am rather young for the stand but dm if that wasn't an awesome series.  My interest in post apocalyptic movies is all based off of my love for the series.

Billy Ocean likes this

IT was a good movie for it was. It's not really a horror movie unless you are a little kid or have a phobia of clowns. It was more comedic than anything. 

There is supposed to an extended Director's Cut of the movie coming to home video along with the threatrical version. Part 2 is supposed to take time to delve more into the back story of the clown as the kids will then be adults.

So the Kingsman sequel hits theaters today. I rarely see movies in theaters, this will be another I wait till it hits HBO. The previews for the first one seemed like the dumbest movie ever made, and, not unlike John Wick, positive reviews immediately poured in and made me reconsider. When I finally saw it on HBO, I enjoyed it tremendously. Taron Edgerton was a breakout star, Colin Firth made a surprisingly good outing as an action guy, and the always great Mark Strong added his distinctive, well, Britishness to the film.

With all of that being said, I'm on the fence about introducing an American team in the sequel. I understand a good bit of the first was introduced to Eggsy's origin story, not sure if they thought that left a void in the sequel they needed to fill, but I would have liked to have seen more development of Eggsy in a sequel instead of immediately introducing a new team. James Bond didn't get a sidekick in From Russia With Love.

BrockSamson and AF89 like this

20 hours ago, Dago 3.0 said:

Cameron back at the helm for the sixth Terminator movie. Supposedly he is just going to pretend that the third, fourth, and fifth movie don't exist and pick up directly after the second

http://screenrant.com/terminator-6-timeline-judgment-day-sequel/

This is a really awful idea.  I'd rather see Arnie in an third Conan movie, which was in the words a few years back but got canned.