The Shotfather

The Movie Thread

425 posts in this topic

Just got back from seeing Dunkirk.  An amazing stroy about how the English saved most of their army from being killed after being stranded on the beaches at Dunkirk.  A well made military movie along the lines of Hacksaw Ridge.  

Skeetbird likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, The Great American said:

Hoping you guys will add War / Planet of the Apes to your "must watch" movie list. 

I was just coming to post about that one.  I watched a matinee recently after a half day Friday at work.  Didn't enjoy it that much.  It was ok to me, but my mind seemed to wander a good bit during it.  I debated between seeing it and Dunkirk that day and wish that I had seen Dunkirk after hearing all of the reviews over the past week or so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, mookie3127 said:

I was just coming to post about that one.  I watched a matinee recently after a half day Friday at work.  Didn't enjoy it that much.  It was ok to me, but my mind seemed to wander a good bit during it.  I debated between seeing it and Dunkirk that day and wish that I had seen Dunkirk after hearing all of the reviews over the past week or so.

Taste in movies is so subjective!!  I watched Dunkirk and its was okay but I really, really enjoyed Apes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just saw 'Detroit'.  A must see docu/drama about racism and civil unrest in 1967 Detroit. Don't miss it. It should win some sort of award. Mainly factual events that will open your eyes. Sad because an epic incident by cops at a motel slaughter isn't very far from some sporatic police shootings of today. Not much has really changed in the past 50 years. Go see it . . . . you won't regret it.

biloxifalcon likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/6/2017 at 4:43 PM, big_dog said:

Just saw 'Detroit'.  A must see docu/drama about racism and civil unrest in 1967 Detroit. Don't miss it. It should win some sort of award. Mainly factual events that will open your eyes. Sad because an epic incident by cops at a motel slaughter isn't very far from some sporatic police shootings of today. Not much has really changed in the past 50 years. Go see it . . . . you won't regret it.

I wouldn't go into DC in 1968, after the riots broke after MLK was shot and killed.  That was definitely not safe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With Irma cancelling work for me, today is a movie day.  I just finished watching The Lost City of Z and really enjoyed it.  It's based on true accounts of Major Percy Fawcett who traveled to the Amazon and discovered evidence of a lost city/civilization until he disappeared from an expedition in 1925. 

I read a lot of reviews from people expecting an Indiana Jones type of movie and this is definitely not that.  Much more of a drama and retelling of his explorations.  Solid flick for something different.  Also, there are indigenous boobies, so the kids may want to sit this one out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mookie3127 said:

With Irma cancelling work for me, today is a movie day.  I just finished watching The Lost City of Z and really enjoyed it.  It's based on true accounts of Major Percy Fawcett who traveled to the Amazon and discovered evidence of a lost city/civilization until he disappeared from an expedition in 1925. 

I read a lot of reviews from people expecting an Indiana Jones type of movie and this is definitely not that.  Much more of a drama and retelling of his explorations.  Solid flick for something different.  Also, there are indigenous boobies, so the kids may want to sit this one out.

Report from the Amazon said he tasted really good with some garlic on him.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, SpongeDad said:

IT got good reviews by critics. I don't want to go see it by myself cause the mrs hates horror movies. I guess I'll have to wait to stream it.

I remember taking my wife to horror movies when we were dating and at the scariest part she would scream then grab my leg simultaneously, that scared me more than the movie.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

I remember taking my wife to horror movies when we were dating and at the scariest part she would scream then grab my leg simultaneously, that scared me more than the movie.  

Today my wife hid a plastic clown nose in her purse and put it on half way thru the movie to try and scare the bejesus out of me. (didn't work)

WhenFalconsWin likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bknowles said:

It was pretty good, one of the better horror movies I've seen lately, but imo it's starting to get over hyped

I hear there's going to be a part 2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On September 14, 2017 at 11:36 AM, Dago 3.0 said:

David Harbour (sheriff from Stranger Things) as Hellboy. 

0da152168ada14be0c61425aca06eb97

 

On a related note, I wish my name was Finn Wolfhard

Are they doing a reboot? The first was good, but the second wasn't great. 

Also, I've heard Mother is cray cray. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mdrake34 said:

Are they doing a reboot? The first was good, but the second wasn't great. 

Also, I've heard Mother is cray cray. 

Just saw mother! last night. I think I thought it was a pretentious piece of directorial masturbation. But there is a small part of me that thinks maybe I thought it was a bat**** crazy completely unique moviegoing experience that I'll  like more upon further consideration.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now