The Shotfather

The Movie Thread

448 posts in this topic

Thinking about going to check out Hail, Caesar! tomorrow night.

I usually dig the Coen Bros' movies & don't have any expectations one way of another about this one.

On 2/18/2016 at 3:42 PM, mdrake34 said:

Well, @TheWitchMovie -- you just scared the living crap out of me. Good Lord. A ***** movie that I do NOT recommend for everyone.

I was going to go see this today until I read the reviews on fandango...they were terrible coming from the audience goers.  I'll see it another way instead.  

The Witch is an atmospheric period piece that apparently makes you uneasy for most of the film. But from what I've read, anyone going in expecting to be scared is going to be disappointed. It had a lot of Sundance buzz if that tells you anything. 

I can't shake the feeling that an Assassin's Creed movie is dumb. The whole appeal of the series is you get to experience detailed historical settings the genre would otherwise never touch. (I think the thousand year shadow war between Assasins and Templars, while a neat framing device is secondary) Historical movie dramas while maybe not as common as they used to be are still a dime a dozen. (Maybe a little more wire-fu in this one) On the plus side it should be easy to film. 

I did a double header today to wrap up my birthday weekend and saw Neighbors 2 followed by The Nice Guys. Both were good but the Nice Guys was fantastic. Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang is one of my all time favorite films so I was definitely going to enjoy it. 

Finally watched Hateful 8. Enjoyed it, classic QT. Unfortunately, classic QT includes overuse of the N word. 

I laughed at the violence towards JJL's character, which made me feel badly afterwards, but throwing the stew in her face was pretty **** funny. She was fantastic in it.

3 hours ago, mdrake34 said:

Finally watched Hateful 8. Enjoyed it, classic QT. Unfortunately, classic QT includes overuse of the N word. 

I laughed at the violence towards JJL's character, which made me feel badly afterwards, but throwing the stew in her face was pretty **** funny. She was fantastic in it.

I watched it too about a month ago. I've never understood his fascination with the N word. It was funny in Pulp Fiction refering to "storage" but it seems he's riding on the coattails of that in every movie after. With his movies, you get two things- blood and the N word. 

Jackie Brown was the best movie besides Pulp Fiction. Reservoir Dogs comes in third.

On May 17, 2016 at 4:12 AM, Old Pappy falcon said:

Black mass! One of the best mobster movies in awhile! Depp played a he11 of a role.

Finally saw this, wasn't really impressed.