The Shotfather

The Movie Thread

434 posts in this topic

Because it's easy to keep the discussion in one thread. Put all recommendations or personal reviews and discussions here (Just kidding, you don't have to).

Newest movie I have seen:

American Sniper

Meh. Surprisingly shallow movie that seemed emotionally manipulative, especially during the credits. I like Brad Cooper but I feel like this movie could have had a much deeper impact had it examined whether killing a bunch of people was actually worth becoming famous over. But you know, Clint Eastwood. Hoo rah.

Worst newest movie I have seen:

300: Rise of an Empire

Good ******* lord. The slow-motion in this movie basically turned this into a 2.5 hour slide-show. I have defended 300 multiple times on this board. I love it for the faithful comic book adaptation that it is. I don't care that it glorifies white people and demonizes brown people. At the time it was unique and fun as ****, just good entertainment. This sequel is just ******* wretched nonsense though. 300 is the kind of movie you can only pull off once, as are movies like Sin City and The Watchmen. It's why the sequels for the first 2 are terrible and there never will be one for the 3rd. They are interesting and unique moments in cinema, but nothing worthy of imitation. Eva Green is intoxicating though, as she always is. I've never seen an actress with a more commanding screen presence or line delivery. I catch myself turning up the volume every time she speaks. I think I'm in love, brose.

Really good movies that I have recently watched on Netflix:

The One I Love

If you're a fan of Mark Duplass, check it out. He's never not funny on some level. The dialogue is witty and the premise is refreshingly original.

Snowpiercer

Another refreshingly unique premise. My completely simplistic synopsis is: Game of Thrones on a futuristic train. Kind of.

Edited by The Shotfather

Taken 3: Hey, it's better than Taken 2.

Anyone else watched John Wick? I've seen it twice, in theatres and downloaded. It's slick as ****.

Newest movie I saw

Finally caught Noah on one of the premium channels the other day. Was it great Cinema? Well no but also nowhere near the worst movie ever status almost everybody had painted it with. (Sometimes it helps to have extremely low expectations) I can maybe see why some Christians didn't care for it as it seemed more like a Christian Mythology based fantasy epic (sorta like 47 Ronin is to Shintoism) than your typical "Bible Blockbuster"

Worst Movie I've seen recently

I was over at Phattywankenobi's house (he's my Uncle) pretty much from Christmas to New Years and every other night every we'd all gather around the home theater setup in the basement to watch a DVD or something on demand. My little cousin got the new Micheal Bay Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on blue ray so we popped it in and I think not even halfway through all the adults had fallen asleep while even the children kinda wandered off. I mean it looked good I guess, but I guess you have to be 13 or younger to really get into the story (about pizza eating karate turtles whose slang was out of date by 1997 I guess it does seem kinda obvious when you say it out loud )

Don't know if I have a "Best" movie I've seen recently although I did enjoy Fury after having both seen it in theaters and blue ray.

Edit:

If we're talking the whole past year however they're was no movie I enjoyed half as much as Guardians of the Galaxy.

Snowpiercer

Another refreshingly unique premise. My completely simplistic synopsis is: Game of Thrones on a futuristic train. Kind of.

The right combination of "like Game of Thrones + ?????" will get me to see/read just about anything

Check out the move "Muscle Shoals" on netflix. Don't read the synopsis or anything, just go watch it. Damm good movie.

I've still got to watch this, I've heard it's excellent.

Monuments Men was incredibly disappointing.

47 Ronin was really, really awful.

Still haven't seen American Sniper or Inherent Vice. Probably rentals/HBO at this point.

Newest movie I saw

Finally caught Noah on one of the premium channels the other day. Was it great Cinema? Well no but also nowhere near the worst movie ever status almost everybody had painted it with. (Sometimes it helps to have extremely low expectations) I can maybe see why some Christians didn't care for it as it seemed more like a Christian Mythology based fantasy epic (sorta like 47 Ronin is to Shintoism) than your typical "Bible Blockbuster"

Worst Movie I've seen recently

I was over at Phattywankenobi's house (he's my Uncle) pretty much from Christmas to New Years and every other night every we'd all gather around the home theater setup in the basement to watch a DVD or something on demand. My little cousin got the new Micheal Bay Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on blue ray so we popped it in and I think not even halfway through all the adults had fallen asleep while even the children kinda wandered off. I mean it looked good I guess, but I guess you have to be 13 or younger to really get into the story (about pizza eating karate turtles whose slang was out of date by 1997 I guess it does seem kinda obvious when you say it out loud )

Don't know if I have a "Best" movie I've seen recently although I did enjoy Fury after having both seen it in theaters and blue ray.

Edit:

If we're talking the whole past year however they're was no movie I enjoyed half as much as Guardians of the Galaxy.

i may be the only person on this site that didn't have a problem with tmnt.

Never mind I misread what you said. I thought you were saying 47 Ronin was 1 or 2 for all time box office gross. Didn't see the "losses" part. Now it makes sense. I watched it for the first time a couple weeks ago. It was stupid but not absolutely horrible.

Yeah not really a plot most of us can get in too, but the action was decent and the visuals were amazing you can see where they spent some money. They figured they'd do mediocre in North America but Universal thought they'd break the bank in Japan but it turned out the Japanese are no more interested in Keanu than we are (or I guess another white dude playing samurai) That said I'd be interested in checking out John Wick if it came on TV or Netflix

Non-Stop is the worst movie I've seen in a long time. Not even the incomparable Liam Neeson can save this steaming POS.

This is the kind of film that makes AREA51 think Hollywood hates America.

SPOILERS: The movie wants you to think the Middle Eastern looking guy with the turban is the terrorist, but he's not. In fact, he's a doctor and a hero and he's got a heart of gold and shame on you for being so prejudiced. The real terrorists are the nerdy white guy and earnest black businessman, who are also US war veterans and they're upset because security is an illusion and they don't know what they were doing in Iraq or some such BS. They gloat about how easy it was to pull off what must have been the most circuitous, convoluted, ******** way to ever hijack an airplane, mere seconds before their idiotic plot is foiled. And then they instantly turn on each other.

Worst villains ever. Such a crappy, gimmicky, ridiculous movie.

If I see the preview for Kingsman, or the chevy colorado commercial with ACDC, one more time, I'm going to complain about it.

Really though, **** this kid and the horse he rode in on.

maxresdefault.jpg

Goal Line D likes this

I've still got to watch this, I've heard it's excellent.

Monuments Men was incredibly disappointing.

47 Ronin was really, really awful.

Still haven't seen American Sniper or Inherent Vice. Probably rentals/HBO at this point.

Seriously, if you aren't doing anything tonight, just take the 100 minutes (or whatever) and sit through it. I was glued after 10 minutes.

Edge of Tomorrow was insanely cool, right up until the stupid ending. Other than that, I think that's the best action movie I have seen in nearly a decade.

Huh, I'll have to check it out. I hadn't heard anything good about it before.

I finally watched Dallas Buyers Club last night. Pretty good. I think Leto and McConaughey's individual performances were better than the overall film itself.

The Imitation Game was incredible. The best movie I have seen in at least a year.

Alan Turing>>>>>>

It was a good movie, even if all the events were not 100% true. I am just glad more people are learning about him. It sucks he died so young and for something so stupid. I wonder where technology would be if he had lived longer.

Also John Wick is what the equalizer was suppose to be.

Next on my list is The Grand Budapest Hotel. They say every new Wes Anderson film is the most-Wes Anderson film yet.

Also, I recently watched West of Memphis, Peter Jackson's film about the West Memphis Three. I had already seen the first and third Paradise Lost films about the WM3, and like the 3rd PL movie, this movie was able to look at the case as a whole, ending with the WM3 entering Alford pleas and being released from prison after 18 years.

It's a really fascinating look at how everything in the justice system can go wrong. On the imdb boards, there a bunch of shitgoons who have allegedly looked through the case file (apparently the whole thing is uploaded on a website) and claims all 4 movies are liberal garbage, that the WM3 are really guilty, and Vedder, Depp, Jackson, etc . . . don't care and helped get them out anyways. They claim the movies left out a lot of the damning evidence against them.

Alan Turing>>>>>>

It was a good movie, even if all the events were not 100% true. I am just glad more people are learning about him. It sucks he died so young and for something so stupid. I wonder where technology would be if he had lived longer.

Also John Wick is what the equalizer was suppose to be.

It's pretty shocking that supposedly civilized countries like Britain were chemically castrating homosexuals as recent as the 1950s.

GEORGIAfan likes this