David Hale Traded To Rockies For Some Scrub Catchers...

Capitalist

Good trade. We now have some legit C prospects in the system between Bethancourt in Atlanta and Tanner Murphy in Rome. Briceno is probably in Top 15 prospect for us.

This is a good move for Hale too. It was getting pretty clear the new regime was "not into him".

Guest Homer the Brave

We was definitely a backstop. Opinions were divided as to if he was a catcher.

He is a DH and an emergency catcher... And a great story that has no more luster.

I don't think Hale as had Tommy John surgery so the Braves had no idea how to use him.....(Sarc)

I liked Hale as back-end starter over long relief. He seemed to do better as a starter. Personally I think Hale was one of our better choices as 5th starter this year but that being said sometimes you give to get. I think the braves did well to get a few more catchers in minor league system, to see what they can do. Historically the Braves have had abundant pitchers and catcher in the minors until Wren ran off scouts and dried up the farm system. I think the Braves are going back to that. At this point I think the Braves felt better about their back end pitching than they did their catching depth hence the trade,

• 1 month later...

The bad taste still lingers in regards to trading away a catcher that was good for 30 to 40 homers and a decent chnce for more + a good average.

With this in mind, was his defense really that bad that he couldn't be coached up?

I dont remember Gattis hitting 40 HRs. I sont necessarily consider 253 a good average either. I was definitely a fan, but those arent the numbers he has exhibited.

He's hit 43 homers in 723 at bats. So, it's the equivalent of 40 homers for every 672 at bats. At his current pace, he'd be expected to hit 36 in 600 at bats.

I get that he's better in the AL, but it kills me knowing he's not a Brave. We have a dearth of power and he was cheap this year.