Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dudley_Dinero

Who Are You Guys Rooting For In The Superbowl?

119 posts in this topic

If the Falcons are not in it I don't care. I'm only at the party for the hors d'ovres.

So that's how it's spelled. Hm. Should be "ore derves."

Kidding.

Hasn't Matt thrown more interceptions in a game? A game at home with nowhere near the level of pressure? Yes

He does NOT post average numbers every game, that is simply not true. The fact that he has accomplished so much behind a bad O-line is a testament to the kind of player he is. One who relies solely on stats can be misled

He's on his way to being a "great" QB, he'll be there very soon

I am constantly assured that if Wilson were on our team the majority of posters here would find some way to rationalize him being a top-3 QB. Just the way it is...

i agree Matt has done worse and he our homers would put russle as a top qb. however I do not rely solely on stats, his performances are not great. He does not do anything special that most compitent backs up cant do. like i said, i like him. But he is definately not top 5 or top 10.

i agree Matt has done worse and he our homers would put russle as a top qb. however I do not rely solely on stats, his performances are not great. He does not do anything special that most compitent backs up cant do. like i said, i like him. But he is definately not top 5 or top 10.

Insomnia's a *****

He's top 10, no doubt

Wilson has had several "great" performances since he's been in the league. He doesn't do anything special that most backups can't do?? In the words of Keyshawn, CC, Boomer, and Coach Ditka.......

....."C'MON MAN!!"

So that's how it's spelled. Hm. Should be "ore derves."

Kidding.

Hooper...I hear you. No interest if the birds are not playing. I'm a falcon's fan first, football fan second. But that's just me

You are absolutely correct. It's 60% d 30% beast mode 10%russell lol... Just giving you a hard time. He contributes well enough, but IMO you can plug about 10 guys where he is and Seattle would be just as good. But like you say, these things are impossible to predict

I've already read those same or similar words on so many sites over the last few years. In a fantasy world, yes, you could plug Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, Andrew Luck, Tom Brady, Matt Ryan,... on this team and we would still be successfull. But in reality, none of these QBs were available to us in the last 5 years since Pete Carroll is in Seattle and most of them never were available to us. If we go back 15 years, we could've had Brady, but so could other 30 teams and that would completely change NFL history in the 21st century. Almost the same with Rodgers back in 2005. I'm just glad the 49ers draft Alex Smith over him.

One thing I'm sure is we wouldn't be where we are now with Matt Hasselbeck (he's one of my favourite all time Seahawk players but he was on a decline), Tarvaris Jackson or Matt Flynn. Defense and running game would probably be enough to win 8 or 9 games, maybe get us into playoffs and win a game there, but we wouldn't play today as a defending SB champions. Of the others QBs I'll just mention three that we could get in free agency or draft without trading up too much (because we never did that under Carroll and John Schneider).

I know back in 2012 (before we drafted Wilson) we were interested in bringing Peyton Manning to Seattle, but I don't think he ever seriously considered us. Even if we did get him and his $100M contract, that would effect the whole team. We probably wouldn't have money for some key offseason signings like Michael Bennett and Cliff Avril and there probably wouldn't be a failed experiment of trading for Percy Harvin. And I respect Peyton a lot, but his career would already be over if he had to play behind our O-Line.

I'll also mention two QBs I like comming out of college in 2011 and almost wanted us to draft any of them (I was that desperate for a QB back in 2011, lol). First one is Colin Kaepernick. He almost did it in similar system (but with better weapons on offense) with San Francisco, but I don't like his decision making under pressure and he's nowhere near the leader Russell is. The other one is Andy Dalton. He can't win a playoff game with A.J. Green (and he also has a solid defense and top 5 running game), how would he do with throwing to Jermaine Kearse or Doug Baldwin? No disrespect to them, because I like them both, but Green (when healthy) is considered by many as a top 5 WR in the league.

I don't remember any other starter in the league right now who was available to us in the last years.

for example, he threw 4 interceptions in the championship game. if it wasn't for his defense we would be watching someone else in the superbowl. Also he posts average numbers every game. He is not a pro bowler; as an individual player he is not special. I love him myself but i would not dare call him great. He's very good at best.

Every QB can have a bad game. In the NFCCG Wilson played the worst 55 minutes of his career (although two interceptions were after a deflection and I think the third one in the endzone would've been a TD if we had a big WR like Calvin Johnson or Dez Bryant) and yet he played the best when really matters. Defense and special teams kept us in the game, I can give you that. But Wilson still produced over 200 yards of offense and 21 points in the last 3 minutes of the game and overtime.

Most of the fans from other teams who don't watch him every week blames Wilson for his lack of passing yards in comparision with other QBs they consider elite. But that's more on the system he plays in (and lack of pass protection and true #1 WR) than on his incapability of throwing for 4000 yards (I think passing yards are one of the most overrated stats in the NFL anyway - what helps Brees to lead the league in passing yards if his team is 6-10?) or 30 TDs in the season. What most of the people also don't consider is that he's a dual threat QB. Count 850 rushing yards (more than a leading RB in about half of the teams) to his passing yards and he's suddenly on the same level as Brady, Matt Stafford or Philip Rivers statwise. He's probably not on their level as a pure pocket QB yet (he's still developing though), but his legs are something those other guys don't have.

Still, if you want to talk about average numbers, how about those records?

- Most passing touchdowns in a season by a rookie (26, tied with Peyton Manning)

- Most passing yards in a playoff game by a rookie (385 yards) against your Falcons in 2012 (we lost that game so this kind of support my above mentioned theory that passing yards can be overrated)

- First QB to throw for 300+ yards and rush for 100+ yards in a single game (against the Rams this season)

- QB rating over 100,0 in each of his first two seasons (if i remember correctly the only QB besides P.Manning)

- Before the game against the Packers he also had the highest QB rating in the postseason history (now he's ranked 4th or 5th)

I could add some more but it probably wouldn't change minds of peoples who thinks number of 300+ passing yards games is the most important factor to determine quality of a QB. And all of the numbers also can't show how important Russell really is to our football team. If I had to choose three words to describe Wilson (without mentioning his leadership) on the field I would say - efficient, clutch and a winner. That's what all of the teams should look for in their QBs. I'm happy John Schneider (who was Wilson's biggest fan) and Pete Carroll looked past Wilson's height concerns and see all of that qualities in him. Yes, there are better pocket passers out there, but he's a perfect fit for our system. I don't care how he'd (hypothetical) do in other 31 teams, because we won't find out that anytime soon (and hopefully never). He is where he is and I'm verry hapy to have him on my team.

My logic on who to support in a Super Bowl is pretty simple:

1) Are the New England Patriots playing?

Yes - then support the other team!

Although if do Seattle does win it would keep us in a club of one - teams to beat Wilson and the Seahawks in the playoffs!

I've already read those same or similar words on so many sites over the last few years. In a fantasy world, yes, you could plug Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, Andrew Luck, Tom Brady, Matt Ryan,... on this team and we would still be successfull. But in reality, none of these QBs were available to us in the last 5 years since Pete Carroll is in Seattle and most of them never were available to us. If we go back 15 years, we could've had Brady, but so could other 30 teams and that would completely change NFL history in the 21st century. Almost the same with Rodgers back in 2005. I'm just glad the 49ers draft Alex Smith over him.

One thing I'm sure is we wouldn't be where we are now with Matt Hasselbeck (he's one of my favourite all time Seahawk players but he was on a decline), Tarvaris Jackson or Matt Flynn. Defense and running game would probably be enough to win 8 or 9 games, maybe get us into playoffs and win a game there, but we wouldn't play today as a defending SB champions. Of the others QBs I'll just mention three that we could get in free agency or draft without trading up too much (because we never did that under Carroll and John Schneider).

I know back in 2012 (before we drafted Wilson) we were interested in bringing Peyton Manning to Seattle, but I don't think he ever seriously considered us. Even if we did get him and his $100M contract, that would effect the whole team. We probably wouldn't have money for some key offseason signings like Michael Bennett and Cliff Avril and there probably wouldn't be a failed experiment of trading for Percy Harvin. And I respect Peyton a lot, but his career would already be over if he had to play behind our O-Line.

I'll also mention two QBs I like comming out of college in 2011 and almost wanted us to draft any of them (I was that desperate for a QB back in 2011, lol). First one is Colin Kaepernick. He almost did it in similar system (but with better weapons on offense) with San Francisco, but I don't like his decision making under pressure and he's nowhere near the leader Russell is. The other one is Andy Dalton. He can't win a playoff game with A.J. Green (and he also has a solid defense and top 5 running game), how would he do with throwing to Jermaine Kearse or Doug Baldwin? No disrespect to them, because I like them both, but Green (when healthy) is considered by many as a top 5 WR in the league.

I don't remember any other starter in the league right now who was available to us in the last years.

Every QB can have a bad game. In the NFCCG Wilson played the worst 55 minutes of his career (although two interceptions were after a deflection and I think the third one in the endzone would've been a TD if we had a big WR like Calvin Johnson or Dez Bryant) and yet he played the best when really matters. Defense and special teams kept us in the game, I can give you that. But Wilson still produced over 200 yards of offense and 21 points in the last 3 minutes of the game and overtime.

Most of the fans from other teams who don't watch him every week blames Wilson for his lack of passing yards in comparision with other QBs they consider elite. But that's more on the system he plays in (and lack of pass protection and true #1 WR) than on his incapability of throwing for 4000 yards (I think passing yards are one of the most overrated stats in the NFL anyway - what helps Brees to lead the league in passing yards if his team is 6-10?) or 30 TDs in the season. What most of the people also don't consider is that he's a dual threat QB. Count 850 rushing yards (more than a leading RB in about half of the teams) to his passing yards and he's suddenly on the same level as Brady, Matt Stafford or Philip Rivers statwise. He's probably not on their level as a pure pocket QB yet (he's still developing though), but his legs are something those other guys don't have.

Still, if you want to talk about average numbers, how about those records?

- Most passing touchdowns in a season by a rookie (26, tied with Peyton Manning)

- Most passing yards in a playoff game by a rookie (385 yards) against your Falcons in 2012 (we lost that game so this kind of support my above mentioned theory that passing yards can be overrated)

- First QB to throw for 300+ yards and rush for 100+ yards in a single game (against the Rams this season)

- QB rating over 100,0 in each of his first two seasons (if i remember correctly the only QB besides P.Manning)

- Before the game against the Packers he also had the highest QB rating in the postseason history (now he's ranked 4th or 5th)

I could add some more but it probably wouldn't change minds of peoples who thinks number of 300+ passing yards games is the most important factor to determine quality of a QB. And all of the numbers also can't show how important Russell really is to our football team. If I had to choose three words to describe Wilson (without mentioning his leadership) on the field I would say - efficient, clutch and a winner. That's what all of the teams should look for in their QBs. I'm happy John Schneider (who was Wilson's biggest fan) and Pete Carroll looked past Wilson's height concerns and see all of that qualities in him. Yes, there are better pocket passers out there, but he's a perfect fit for our system. I don't care how he'd (hypothetical) do in other 31 teams, because we won't find out that anytime soon (and hopefully never). He is where he is and I'm verry hapy to have him on my team.

D and run game would be 60/40. I said 60/30/10. I agree his 10% is relevant. But it's still 10%.

Any score that has my Block sheet 6 New England, And Seattle 0. Other than that i just hope Seattle does for Quinn.

Pats, to get Revis a ring mostly. Keeping Quinn hungry doesn't hurt.

If you play for the Saints, Pats, or Cowboys (in that order), you get no cheers or anything else from me. My cuz played for the Cowboys. I openly cheered against him.

Old Pappy falcon likes this