Marquis Spruill

http://www.thefalcoholic.com/2014/11/12/7208261/marquis-spruill-bulking-up-with-an-eye-on-2015

A quick glance at the Falcons linebacker depth chart will tell you that there are few sure things heading into 2015.

Paul Worrilow is coming on a bit, he's young and he's a defensive captain, so you have to imagine he'll be in Atlanta even if the regime changes heading into next season. Ditto Prince Shembo, a fourth-round rookie who looked solid before his mysterious demotion to reserve and special teamer. And ****, Joplo Bartu has a decent chance to stick around, given that he's young and athletic and has had some fine moments in 2014.

That's not exactly a murderer's row, however, and Sean Weatherspoon is uncertain to return coming off his injury, Nate Stupar is purely a special teamer (though a **** fine one) and Tyler Starr is a project. There's plenty of room for the team to add talent or shuffle these linebackers around, which creates a real opportunity for a player like Marquis Spruill.

Spruill was billed as a special teamer for Atlanta coming out of college, which gives him a leg up some of the other linebackers lurking on the fringes of the roster. The team may not have needed to trade for Stupar if Spruill hadn't suffered an extremely unfortunate ACL injury in camp that cost him this season. Then there's this:

You'll recall one of my major concerns with Spruill was his size, specifically his weight, and a lack of strength that caused him to sometimes wash out of plays. While it's tough to add twenty-plus pounds of muscle in a single offseason, particularly when you're recuperating from an injury, that added weight will only help Spruill as he bids for a roster spot in 2015, even if the staff that liked him enough to trade up for him in the fifth round isn't around to lobby on his behalf.

With a potential regime change looming and Spruill coming off a major injury, he's certainly no lock to return and contribute, I'll grant you. Given the work he's clearly put in this offseason and the flux in the linebacking corps, though, I have to think he's got a real shot to stick as a useful reserve.

What say you?

Malcolm Smith. 6'0 226 lbs 4.44 40 time

Marquis Spruill. 6’1. 241 lbs. 4.52 40 time

yet the Falcons coaches just saw him as a special teamer, granted he did only weigh 228 when he was drafted. Dude has an incredible burst that needs to be looked at though lol

Imnot sure that they saw him as strictly a STeamer...more a developmental guy with athleticism and speed...had he started (barring injury) it'd been surprising or because of other injuries. We fans tend to put our players on pedestals...in reality he was a 5th rounder, who may or may not develop. Who knows how he'll be or if he'll even be on team next year

Malcolm Smith. 6'0 226 lbs 4.44 40 time

Marquis Spruill. 6’1. 241 lbs. 4.52 40 time

yet the Falcons coaches just saw him as a special teamer, granted he did only weigh 228 when he was drafted. Dude has an incredible burst that needs to be looked at though lol

Spruills measurables are similar to both Wagner and Smith. I think Quinn will gve him a good look.

One of the biggest differenses between ATL and Seattle is we draft players for special teams and to ride the pines in favor of veterans. Seattle draft players with the intention of letting them compete... the best man wins regardless of draft position. If our rookies are not drafted in the 1st or 2nd round, they are not playing.

I think thats going to change this year.

Spruills measurables are similar to both Wagner and Smith. I think Quinn will gve him a good look.

One of the biggest differenses between ATL and Seattle is we draft players for special teams and to ride the pines in favor of veterans. Seattle draft players with the intention of letting them compete... the best man wins regardless of draft position. If our rookies are not drafted in the 1st or 2nd round, they are not playing.

I agree, we have nice STers & backups...whose fault is this??? Smitty?Nolan? or TD??? Can even add K Arms since he is the ST coach (but Bosh was a leading/most reliable tackler!!!) I just shake my head...Good Luck moving foward!

You never know. Did you see Worrilow becoming the starter before seeing him play in an NFL game? Give the guy a chance.

I wouldn't use Worrilow as the measuring stick. He's a starter on this team but I don't think he'd be a starter on any other team, at least not a contender. He makes a lot of tackles, but not a lot of big plays and he has given up a ton of first down runs either by whiffing on the tackle or just getting run over. I'm not impressed by Worrilow and I hope we can upgrade at that position

Imnot sure that they saw him as strictly a STeamer...more a developmental guy with athleticism and speed...had he started (barring injury) it'd been surprising or because of other injuries. We fans tend to put our players on pedestals...in reality he was a 5th rounder, who may or may not develop. Who knows how he'll be or if he'll even be on team next year

Nobody's putting anyone on a pedestal, we just want to see what we have in a player before we start trying to get rid of them. I feel better about some of our picks since we have a few talent evaluators on staff now.

On McKinnons's big run for the Vikes he got absolutely stone walled by Felton.

I love me some Worrilow but he definitely has room for improvement too

Worrilow is a good tackler and he doesn't tend to let people past him, mind you he has that keith Brooking mentality of tackling: a few yards down field is still a tackle. He won't make a ton of huge plays but he is consistent, just needs to get a bit faster or stronger. I don't mind him because I love his instincts and leadership, Quinn's defense tends to allow the Mike and Will backers to run free which I hope will help Worrilow a lot.

Spruill seems like the perfect guy to play the Will role, they need a fast rangey guy who can go sideline to sideline with a back and cover the hook zones. Bartu and him seem like good fits, mind you that is all on paper, how he will actually perform is yet to be seen but I liked his athleticism coming out of college.

Edited by thebowser13

Even if they're drafted in the second round they may not get much playing time, I.E. Hageman.

I think " health" will be a major factor in the performance of our defense this next year. If players like Spoon, Spruills, Willy Mo, Alford, all come back healthy, our defense could be very different. Our best defensive games were when Moore was playing, he makes a huge difference, Spoon, when on his game, also gives our defense that "swagger " it so desperately needs. You add that with Houston, & our 1st round pick, Tru to lockdown the outside, you now have a very formidable defense.

I think " health" will be a major factor in the performance of our defense this next year. If players like Spoon, Spruills, Willy Mo, Alford, all come back healthy, our defense could be very different. Our best defensive games were when Moore was playing, he makes a huge difference, Spoon, when on his game, also gives our defense that "swagger " it so desperately needs. You add that with Houston, & our 1st round pick, Tru to lockdown the outside, you now have a very formidable defense.

Add in a scheme that makes sense and playing guys where they win and people will be surprised.