Four Hawk All Stars? One Man's Opinion . . .

HolyMoses

Check out the videos that illustrate Korver's value . . .

Paul Millsap, Al Horford, Kyle Korver, Jeff Teague — Atlanta Hawks

FOUR HAWKS. **** freaking right. If the Warriors swapped conferences with the Hawks, they, too, might place three or even four All-Stars. Horford got off to a slow start while recovering from a pectoral tear, but he’s been tearing up the league over the last two weeks, and at his peak, Horford might be the best all-around big man in the East.

Korver is bound to be the most polarizing choice, though momentum for his candidacy is building. He doesn’t play “like an All-Star.” He shoots only eight times per game. He doesn’t get to the line. He has used only 14.5 percent of Atlanta’s possessions, one of the lowest rates ever for a potential All-Star. ****, just last season, I left both Lance Stephenson and Andre Drummond off my ballot in part because of their limited roles on offense.

But we need different parameters for a guy putting up perhaps the greatest shooting season ever. Korver is shooting 53 percent on nearly six 3s per game. If you think all of those are wide-open jobs, you’re not watching the Hawks. Korver barely needs any airspace to flick off his quick release, and he’s shooting 47 percent — a number that could lead the league in some seasons — on 3s in which a defender is within four feet of him, per SportVU. I mean, I can barely process these numbers.

When you can shoot like Korver, you don’t need the ball to be a defining figure on every offensive possession.

Take two examples from Atlanta’s most recent game, its win Sunday against Minnesota

Horford gets an uncontested dunk at the end of this pick-and-roll because the help defender on the weak side, Andrew Wiggins, never arrives to challenge Horford in the paint. Startling fact: Wiggins is guarding Korver.

The Hawks botch this play, but watch what happens when Korver rubs off a DeMarre Carroll screen on the left side:

Both Wiggins and Thaddeus Young chase Korver, leaving Carroll free to cut into an open 2-on-1. Korver did not touch the ball on either of these possessions. They leave no trace on most statistical measures of his impact. But he’s a crucial figure in each one, and this kind of stuff happens all the time. He inspires panic in opposing defenses, and panic breeds both mistakes and paralysis.

Korver has the best plus/minus of all non-Warriors. He is the common denominator in **** near every productive Atlanta lineup.

Carmelo Anthony is a better basketball player than Korver, but we should reconsider how large that gap might be. Rule changes over the last decade have pushed coaches to evolve on both ends of the floor. Ball movement and spacing are more important than ever; holding the ball has never been a riskier proposition. Anthony is one of the rare players who can still stand around with the ball and center a viciously productive offense. The ability to score one-on-one and from the post will always have value, especially if the player doing it is a skilled passer.

But the value between those glamour skills and what Korver does — shooting, running around, making smart cuts — is shrinking. Korver “can’t create his own shot,” the lazy catchall for what constitutes an All-Star, but there’s much more than that to being a good NBA player in 2015.

Korver moves without the ball better than anyone in the game.

People ignore it because no one pays attention to that, but it is truly amazing.

If LeBron is the best guy with the ball, Korver should get credit for being that kind of talent without it.

Korver moves without the ball better than anyone in the game.

People ignore it because no one pays attention to that, but it is truly amazing.

If LeBron is the best guy with the ball, Korver should get credit for being that kind of talent without it.

better than Steph or Klay? U can't cosign that my friend

nope. Steph off ball movement is similar to Reggie Miller and Ray Allen. He just doesn't show it often cause he can create his own shot

So if he doesn't do it consistently how is he better. I would contend that Kyle's off ball movement is better than Reggie and Ray and Kyle sets a mean back screen.

So if he doesn't do it consistently how is he better. I would contend that Kyle's off ball movement is better than Reggie and Ray and Kyle sets a mean back screen.

how often do you even watch Steph Curry? The man moves effortlessly. He doesnt have to do it cause he can create his own shot easy. And Reggie is the absolute best at it. Stop being a homer

Come February 6 you boys will see about Steph Curry. The man is an absolute beast. You two talking about Curry probably never watched him play this year. I know WOR has.

I dont even need to watch him in the pros. Him at davidson was all I needed. Dude was lights out. Idk if Ive ever seen one guy completely carry a team like he did. He was literally all Davidson had.

I dont even need to watch him in the pros. Him at davidson was all I needed. Dude was lights out. Idk if Ive ever seen one guy completely carry a team like he did. He was literally all Davidson had.

I remember him at Davidson too. I remember watching March Madness and just waiting to see what he would do. He balled out his sophmore year