Interview Advice

WOR

So I had my second interview with a company on Friday at lunch time. This particular manager made every indication that I had the job, and all he had left to do was give his recommendation to the GM and they would call me right back in for my drug screening and all that fun stuff.

It is now Tuesday, and I havent heard anything. So my question is, at what point is it acceptable to contact them first? Ive been going through the hiring managers assistant since last Tuesday. Would a brief email asking about my status be okay? Is it too soon? Will it just be annoying? I thought Id hear back last Friday, so waiting is driving me nuts.

So I had my second interview with a company on Friday at lunch time. This particular manager made every indication that I had the job, and all he had left to do was give his recommendation to the GM and they would call me right back in for my drug screening and all that fun stuff.

It is now Tuesday, and I havent heard anything. So my question is, at what point is it acceptable to contact them first? Ive been going through the hiring managers assistant since last Tuesday. Would a brief email asking about my status be okay? Is it too soon? Will it just be annoying? I thought Id hear back last Friday, so waiting is driving me nuts.

I'm not sure about the etiquette of this stuff (I'd do some on line research) but a thank you note is always appropriate, email or otherwise. Don't "check on your status". Thank the GM for his time, tell them you enjoyed the meeting and would be excited to be part of their team etc . . . .

Oh . . . and ask if there is anything they need from you as a follow up etc . . . .

I'm not sure about the etiquette of this stuff (I'd do some on line research) but a thank you note is always appropriate, email or otherwise. Don't "check on your status". Thank the GM for his time, tell them you enjoyed the meeting and would be excited to be part of their team etc . . . .

Oh . . . and ask if there is anything they need from you as a follow up etc . . . .

To expand on this already great advice, you don't want to contact them first because it paints a bit of a weaker picture of you, for much the same reason that you don't text a girl "pls respond" after you've sent her three texts without hearing back. People want to know that: 1. You're patient 2. You can handle yourself appropriately and 3. You aren't overly dependent. Now if you want to go on a fishing expedition, I would take the advice of moses and send a thank you card, while further stating your gratitude for the meeting and eagerness to work with them. This should further their already seemingly impressed view of you, while also remind them that you're still around.

Every company is different, but I agree with what has already been said. As a hiring manager, there is nothing more annoying than when a candidate calls every other day asking if the position has been filled. Most companies have various channels and protocols that they have to go through with HR and upper management in order to get an offer sent out so my advice would be to just be patient. If you're their guy, they'll let you know as soon as they can, and if you're not, a call or even a card won't change that.

The best answers came in the first couple posts. The last couple were hilarious. I would say be patient. If you're the guy, you'll get a call. If not don't ever call them. The dude whose wife got a job when she called them probably doesn't realize she was the guy the whole time but got impatient and jumped a gun she shouldn't have. The first time she screws something up they'll probably remember her stalking them and wonder WTF did we hire her for?

Some employers like the tenacity, however if they want more info they will contact you. I am kind of going through the same thing right now. Had a 2nd interview with the company's VP (phone interview) and shortly after, the guy I will be working for called me and said he got a call from the VP and was going to recommend me to HR for the job. Now I am just going to sit and wait. BUT, if I don't hear something by tomorrow around noon, I will certainly call them. I know this is a little different situation though.

I wanted to mention also that I had an interview last week where the director of the company (they are building a new store in my area) stayed in a hotel for a week conducting interviews. It was tough for me to get to the interviews because of my current work schedule, but I took a personal day and kept in touch with him to let him know if he had an opening that day to please let me know. He ended up having someone cancel and when I went for the interview he mentioned how much he appreciated my tenacity at least 3 times. The interview went well and now he wants to set up another interview next week. Because I am waiting to see if I get the other job, I told him I will have to let him know later this week when I can meet him.

I just resigned from my most recent position because I was tired of the politics and no corporate support. I know it is not the brightest thing to quit a job without actually having another one, but I don't see how I won't get the job I interviewed for yesterday, Just have to get through the background check and drug screening. I was terminated once from a job over a huge disagreement with an ASSistant manager of mine and I also did not tell this most recent company that I did not give 2 weeks notice. I was going to, but I was tired of the stress and being miserable. I did it for my own well being as well as my family. I also don't do drugs, so I know that will be clean. I just went through this last March when I was hired by the place I just resigned from.

Best of luck. Don't rely on your emotions or nerves, rely on advice of others and do some internet research. You have to be able to read the people you are interviewing with as well.

You can always call or email and say, "I really hope I am not being overly persistent, I just am very excited about this opportunity." Or something like that...