It Has Been 20 Years Since..

Atlsport

The last time a coach left a Super Bowl winning team and was immediately promoted to head coach and went on to lead his new team to a Super Bowl victory.

The last guy was Mike Shanahan, who was named head coach at Denver after being on George Seifert's Super Bowl winning staff at San Francisco in 1994.

Most of the Super Bowl winners of recent years didn't come directly from a squad that won a championship. Quinn has been my preferred candidate, and it's about time that another coach repeats that feat.

Interestingly enough, Shanahan won his first Super Bowl against the coach who was his predecessor with that same distinction. Mike Holmgren, had also been on Seifert's Super Bowl winning staff in '89 and had already won a Super Bowl as coach of GB, when they played Denver.

Belichick, is not included because he didn't win at CLE, neither did Coughlin also from the Giants' Parcells tree, who didn't win at JAX before going to back to NYG.

There have been quite a few Super Bowls won by the offshoots of the Parcells and Seifert tree, the difference is that two of Siefert's protege's went directly into championships at other teams, while the one's spawned from Parcells did so indirectly.

Here's hoping that Quinn is to Carroll, as Holmgren and Shanahan were to Seifert.

Geez, people will hardly be able to sleep reading your analysis zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

More interesting is the 1998 Falcon Super Bowl team that had Chris Chandler at Quarterback, who was a 3rd round pick of the Colts, who played for many teams before his glory year with the Falcons. He was also the son in law of 49er Quarterback John Brodie who was pretty darn good back in the late sixties, early seventies.

Geez, people will hardly be able to sleep reading your analysis zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

More interesting is the 1998 Falcon Super Bowl team that had Chris Chandler at Quarterback, who was a 3rd round pick of the Colts, who played for many teams before his glory year with the Falcons. He was also the son in law of 49er Quarterback John Brodie who was pretty darn good back in the late sixties, early seventies.

chill

Did Seifert have a tree or a bush? I thought Holmgren and Shanny were from the Walsh tree?

I don't think Shanahan has any ties to Walsh except indirectly through Seifert, regardless this isn't about degrees of separation. NFL teams seem to have this idea that hiring head coaches, particularly OC's & DC's from the staffs of Super Bowl winners will result in Super Bowls for them.
For the longest time I've sensed that strategy fails quite miserably, see Spagnolo (sp?) and Belichick's assistance have been epic failures. I don't like that practice. I know that most of the recent Super Bowl winners weren't hired directly from the staffs of previous winners, but now here comes the Falcons interest in Quinn, a coach who I favored among the other candidates so I was interested to see if that approach had ever been successful.
That it has been 20 years since that formula last worked should be more than enough warning to teams about repeatedly going back to that well. There is ample evidence that that approach fails more often than it succeeds, still it has worked in the past and it seems that if we in fact land Quinn, that the approach is overdue to produce another winner.

Interesting post ---- but I would like to think that it depends on the individual, the team, the talent on that team, and really, everything just falling into place just right, for that to happen again.

I like the idea of Quinn being our coach (not so much the Shanahan and Morris hirings), but I will say, he's got a lot of work to do on the defensive side of the ball to get us to the point of talking about a Super Bowl any time soon.

I hope I'm pleasantly surprised, though ---

I don't think Shanahan has any ties to Walsh except indirectly through Seifert, regardless this isn't about degrees of separation. NFL teams seem to have this idea that hiring head coaches, particularly OC's & DC's from the staffs of Super Bowl winners will result in Super Bowls for them.

For the longest time I've sensed that strategy fails quite miserably, see Spagnolo (sp?) and Belichick's assistance have been epic failures. I don't like that practice. I know that most of the recent Super Bowl winners weren't hired directly from the staffs of previous winners, but now here comes the Falcons interest in Quinn, a coach who I favored among the other candidates so I was interested to see if that approach had ever been successful.

That it has been 20 years since that formula last worked should be more than enough warning to teams about repeatedly going back to that well. There is ample evidence that that approach fails more often than it succeeds, still it has worked in the past and it seems that if we in fact land Quinn, that the approach is overdue to produce another winner.

Actually Shanahan is from the Dan Reeves tree. Holmgren is definitely from the Bill Walsh tree. Neither is from the George Seifert bush.

Interesting post ---- but I would like to think that it depends on the individual, the team, the talent on that team, and really, everything just falling into place just right, for that to happen again.

I like the idea of Quinn being our coach (not so much the Shanahan and Morris hirings), but I will say, he's got a lot of work to do on the defensive side of the ball to get us to the point of talking about a Super Bowl any time soon.

I hope I'm pleasantly surprised, though ---

I wonder about Morris too, but then who would have thought that Nolan would turn out that way after his DC work elsewhere.

Actually Shanahan is from the Dan Reeves tree. Holmgren is definitely from the Bill Walsh tree. Neither is from the George Seifert bush.

You are missing the point entirely, coaching 'trees' (degrees of separation) are not the point of this topic. Not sure how you could miss that after reading the post you just quoted which explained the topic further.

Mike Holmgren left George Seifert's staff, as his OC, not Walsh's to take the HC job at GB. I don't think that Walsh even had an OC. (I know that he was with qbs')

Mike Shanahan, also left George Seifert's staff, as his OC, (once again not Walsh's staff) to take the HC job at DEN.

Those two, Holmgren and Shanhan, were the last two coaches to have won Super Bowls on their first job as HC, after having been hired from another staff that had won as well, regardless of whether they had ties to Kevin Bacon.

Point being it's not the best of places to look for new coaches if it has been that long since that kind of hire produced a championship, but we'd better hope that Quinn ends up like those two and not Spags or the various failures of the Belichick clan.