"dark Cloud" Shanahan - Browns Fans Slamming Him

NCCooley

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/23/mike-pettine-let-kyle-shanahan-walk-to-avoid-dark-cloud/

Hit the link to see their comments to this article, and Shanahans departure. Kinda worrisome.

Apparently, the skies are clear over Cleveland today.

At the press conference to introduce the latest in the Browns’ revolving door of offensive coordinators (John DeFilippo), Browns head coach Mike Pettine said he let the last one (Kyle Shanahan) go to prevent a “dark cloud” from overcoming the franchise.

It was something that we didn’t want to drag out,” Pettine said, via Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer. “It’s just very hard to win in the NFL [even] when everybody’s into it and they truly want to be there, and again if you have somebody that just doesn’t want to be there, I know it’s easy to say, ‘Hey he’s under contract, hold him to it,’ [but now] there’s a dark cloud over your coaching offices and I’ve been a part of that.

“This business, it’s hard to win and you’ve got to have everybody into it, passionate about the Cleveland Browns and pulling the rope in the same direction.”

Pettine also said there were conversations about getting some form of compensation for Shanahan, “but you start to get into that legal stuff and that’s when I walk out of the room.”

Shanahan has landed on his feet in a better situation in Atlanta, but Pettine said the difference between Matt Ryan and Johnny Manziel was not Shanahan’s motivation.

Whatever it was, Pettine has now created a precedent for staffers. By letting Shanahan walk, anyone who thinks he can trade up just has to raise enough of a stink to be deemed a distraction.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tbh, let's look at Cleveland for a second. It's hard to imagine an OC being the biggest problem in that organization. A change of ownership hasn't helped, a revolving front office has been able to accomplish nothing. Let's look at "100% a joke" Johnny Manziel as why that team will be miserable for the next few years, not an OC who got out of that as soon as he could to salvage what's been a not bad career.

I don't think we have anything to worry about in Shanahan.

For those with impaired clicking fingers, a sample of the comments:

1. pftbro says:Jan 23, 2015 10:00 AM

Shanny junior has a lot of growing up to do if he wants to be a head coach someday. He comes across as a spoiled brat going into a tantrum if he doesn’t get what he wants. Had similar problems in Washington…

2. cazspaz says:Jan 23, 2015 10:05 AM

Maybe they should focus more on why that dark cloud existed, instead of hoping that it goes away just because one guy is no longer there. At some point that franchise has to start looking at the root of their problems, instead of shuffling new quick fixes in and out to avoid the bigger issue.

3. nnagi says:Jan 23, 2015 10:14 AM

Shanahan is a joke, he’s better suited for a waterboy position…

4. mogogo1 says:Jan 23, 2015 10:17 AM

Only improvement from Washington days is Kyle avoided going after the Cleveland QBs in the press. Atlanta is a huge test for him. Not working for Daddy or somebody who owed Daddy (Kubiak) and unlike Cleveland there’s enough offensive talent on the Falcons there won’t be any excuse if they don’t perform well.

5. ebpatton says:Jan 23, 2015 10:22 AM

No huge fan of Kyle Shanahan, but to act like he is/was the biggest problem in Cleveland is ridiculous.

Edited by NCCooley

Before the draft the Browns commisioned a $100,000 study that told them Bridgewater will be the better QB prospect.

Instead, the owner took the advise of a homeless man that told him to draft Manziel.

If if I was Shannahan I would be pissed too.

Edited by FentayeJones

Before the draft the Browns commisioned a $100,000 study that told them Bridgewater will be the better QB prospect. Instead, the owner took the advise of a homeless man that told him to draft Manziel.

Are you suggesting homeless cannot predict the future like those commissioned experts?

meh, they were plenty of fans here upset when MM left. Being a fan hardly ensures that you know what you are talking about.

And the article doesn't say that Shanahan was a problem when he was there, only that, if he'd stayed he would have become one.

the dark cloud comes from someone staying in a position he doesn't want to be in, which didn't happen in Cleveland.

They also slammed Johnny F and the Browns organization:

1. tccoats says:Jan 23, 2015 9:51 AM

The “Dark Cloud” is still in the building…..its name is Manziel.

brianc34 says:
  2. Jan 23, 2015 9:53 AM

But teams will start to figure out that a particular coach will raise a stink time and time again and that coach will see their coaching opportunities dry up.

3. Jan 23, 2015 9:58 AM

Hard to blame him. Cleveland is a train wreck. With all of the talent that they have on that team (especially on D) it’s mid boggling that they can’t put it all together and show some consistency.

floratiotime says:

4. Jan 23, 2015 9:58 AM

Yeah, we wouldn’t want a dark cloud to mess up this wonderful franchise.

meh, they were plenty of fans here upset when MM left. Being a fan hardly ensures that you know what you are talking about.

And the article doesn't say that Shanahan was a problem when he was there, only that, if he'd stayed he would have become one.

the dark cloud comes from someone staying in a position he doesn't want to be in, which didn't happen in Cleveland.

Sounds to me like they wanted to tell him how to do his job whether than actually let him do it and he didn't like that idea. I don't blame him if that's the case. If I were hired to be a coordinator I wouldn't want to be treated like a puppet either.

Before the draft the Browns commisioned a $100,000 study that told them Bridgewater will be the better QB prospect.

Instead, the owner took the advise of a homeless man that told him to draft Manziel.

Worked out for the Falcons, Shanahan would have loved working with Bridgewater and wouldn't be available for the Falcons to sign.

I'm not gonna jump to the conclusion of how good he will look with Matt ryan playing qb vs the other qb's he has had. I don't believe in getting my hopes up in sports thanks to the Falcons themselves. I'm gonna take the wait and see approach. May take about 5 weeks for me to buy into what they are doing. Hope it works out

I'm not gonna jump to the conclusion of how good he will look with Matt ryan playing qb vs the other qb's he has had. I don't believe in getting my hopes up in sports thanks to the Falcons themselves. I'm gonna take the wait and see approach. May take about 5 weeks for me to buy into what they are doing. Hope it works out

Think we'll see the change well before then. Preseason should give us a good idea of whats going on.

Think we'll see the change well before then. Preseason should give us a good idea of whats going on.

The first string offense has looked decent the last 2 preseason then disaster struck. So I'm gonna stick with the approach I have in mind. Hopefully they can score touchdowns in the red zone once the season starts

The problem is, Cleveland is literally the most dysfunctional franchise in the NFL. Oakland is 2nd, and it's still not even close. Remember Chudzinski? A great hire who was fired after 9 months.

By all accounts, Shanahan is an offensive mastermind. It seems like most coaches and coordinators are set up to fail in Cleveland. Matt Ryan is the best QB he's ever coached by far, so I'm excited to see him maximize his coaching capabilities. It was a fantastic hire, and there's a reason why a lot of other OC-less teams were pissed when we signed him. I think he'll be a very successful head coach someday.

6ZVJg4E.jpg

I will say it until im proven otherwise...

Wtf has Kyle Shanahan ever done?

He "made" RGIII OROY. Gave the Browns a respectable offense for the first half of the season or so. Produced some 4,000 yd seasons with Matt Schuab. He's not the end all be all, but he's certainly a good catch.

The first string offense has looked decent the last 2 preseason then disaster struck. So I'm gonna stick with the approach I have in mind. Hopefully they can score touchdowns in the red zone once the season starts

Yeah, but that was injuries. What I mean is that we should see an entirely different style of offense in preseason, should give us a good idea of what's coming.