It Gets To The Point That All You Can Do Is Laugh

Dago 3.0

http://www.latimes.com/business/hiltzik/la-fi-mh-sen-joni-ernst-learned-20150123-column.html

It has almost become a cliche that the politicians who bray the loudest about cutting government waste and slashing "entitlements" turn out to have learned what they know about the government trough from the inside.

The latest example is Sen. Joni Ernst, R-Iowa, who rode her tea party small-government platform to victory in the 2014 election. Ernst is viewed as such an appealing figure by her GOP colleagues that they chose her to deliver the party's official response to President Obama's State of the Union address on Tuesday.

The public spotlight might not prove to be Ernst's best friend. The District Sentinel, a Washington, D.C., news co-op, reports that despite her campaign pitch that her parents "taught us to live within our means," her family members collected $463,000 in federal farm subsidies from 1995 through 2009.

She was talking about growing up and wearing sandwich bags over her feet going to the bus in bad weather. Not something that happened to her family members from 1995 and on. I like to let her get in there and see what she can do before we cast aspersions.

Lest we talk about Al Gore's carbon footprint or any other long standing member of Congress's use of a government program for them or their families!

hypocrisy is hypocrisy

you are being no better than the bedwetting liberals you hate by excusing the actions of a Republican by bringing up the actions of a Democrat

Point is you have to hope then get in there and do good and you've already condemned the women. So her family may have used a subsidy that is their legal right to use? I've had a family member on welfare before and they used the program to help pull themselves out of their doldrums

Why are you attacking "bedwetting liberals" so harshly Dago? I mean those are your words, not mine. I may have a difference of opinion with Liberals politically but, many of them are my good friends and may of them are family members. I am a little disappointed that you made that assumption?

the bedwetting liberals was more aimed at your attitude towards them in here

point is, don't complain about government handouts when your family averaged receiving $50k a year for 10 years. its a bltch move to take that and then complain about other people getting theirs

It's just more, "I got mine. GFY."

Watching her response to the SOTU address was annoying. She was talking to the camera(and the people) the way an adult would talk to a ******** child. I guess some people don't mind being treated like morons.

Another thing. Putting her on the national stage right now is as transparent as Paul Ryan's smile. Big talk on the left of Hillary or Elizabeth Warren as candidates and they just happen to bring her out because they "respect" her? Sell it somewhere else, please.

It's just more, "I got mine. GFY."

Watching her response to the SOTU address was annoying. She was talking to the camera(and the people) the way an adult would talk to a ******** child. I guess some people don't mind being treated like morons.

Another thing. Putting her on the national stage right now is as transparent as Paul Ryan's smile. Big talk on the left of Hillary or Elizabeth Warren as candidates and they just happen to bring her out because they "respect" her? Sell it somewhere else, please.

if they try to put her on the big stage she is going to get torn up

if they try to put her on the big stage she is going to get torn up

I think they wanted people to attack her. She's a patriotic weekend warrior that spent a little time in Kuwait with the gear.

With that said, putting a bad candidate up there on the national stage is their norm. Half way through her "speech," I had to wonder wtf they were thinking. It was hypnotically dumb.

Jesus that's creepy looking. I know that nobody has a perfectly symmetrical face, but that just looks weird

Doesn't it? Watch her speech again. It's just ridiculous listening to what she's saying in that very...........slow...........simple... tone with her best Bachman face on.

If the person has different ideas, fine. But don't talk to people as if they're idiots and slide your own hypocrisy under the radar in the process. The first person to get up there and NOT lie could sweep an election. Both sides need to realize that fact. Taking favors under the table will only go so far when there's nothing left to spend it on.

Even during Obama's speech, when he said they had closed special interest loopholes, I had to say out loud how full of **** he is. You gave the banks taxpayer insurance once again and increased the amount they can donate to candidates.

Edited by 𝓜èφhì§τö

No one from either side looks good in a follow up SOTU speech...

It would probably be helpful for the Republicans if they didn't have half a dozen responses to the SOTU. It does not help the perception that they're hopelessly divided between their various factions and that they're getting desperate for someone to stick for the national stage.