Another Rumored Dc From Seattle

NCCooley

From Pro Football Talk: Kris Richard likely to get a promotion, somewhere

Posted by Mike Florio on January 23, 2015, 7:24 PM EST

Earlier this month, Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman lobbied for Seattle defensive backs coach Kris Richard to receive a promotion.

“He took kind of a ragtag bunch of DBs in 2011 and made them perennial All-Pros and Pro Bowlers, and you don’t hear his name being mentioned as much for D-coordinator jobs and things like that,” Sherman said. “Which I think it should be. We obviously know what kind of coach he is and what he’s done. But obviously everybody else doesn’t.”

People are starting to figure it out. Per a league source, Richard currently is expected to become a defensive coordinator after the Super Bowl — either by joining Seahawks defensive coordinator Dan Quinn in Atlanta or by taking Quinn’s position after he becomes head coach of the Falcons.

Richard came to the Seahawks with coach Pete Carroll in 2010, after spending two years as an assistant at USC. As a player, Richard was a third-round pick of the Seahawks in 2002. The connections to Seattle and to Carroll may nudge Richard to remain in Seattle, if he receives the opportunity to replace Quinn.

Edited by NCCooley

From Pro Football Talk: Kris Richard likely to get a promotion, somewhere

Posted by Mike Florio on January 23, 2015, 7:24 PM EST

Earlier this month, Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman lobbied for Seattle defensive backs coach Kris Richard to receive a promotion.

“He took kind of a ragtag bunch of DBs in 2011 and made them perennial All-Pros and Pro Bowlers, and you don’t hear his name being mentioned as much for D-coordinator jobs and things like that,” Sherman said. “Which I think it should be. We obviously know what kind of coach he is and what he’s done. But obviously everybody else doesn’t.”

People are starting to figure it out. Per a league source, Richard currently is expected to become a defensive coordinator after the Super Bowl — either by joining Seahawks defensive coordinator Dan Quinn in Atlanta or by taking Quinn’s position after he becomes head coach of the Falcons.

Richard came to the Seahawks with coach Pete Carroll in 2010, after spending two years as an assistant at USC. As a player, Richard was a third-round pick of the Seahawks in 2002. The connections to Seattle and to Carroll may nudge Richard to remain in Seattle, if he receives the opportunity to replace Quinn.

Permalink 12 Comments icon-rss.gif

Richard is my first choice as DC, but I doubt Carroll would be that generous. He probably will just promote him, but if Norton Jr. stays on board I can see him getting promoted too, so who knows

This really comes down to who Pete Carroll is going to allow to leave with Quinn. I'm hoping they win the SB, this may allow a couple more assistants to leave.

Carroll seems like the type of coach that would let his coaches go, if they were getting a promotion, but I do not believe he is going to give a coach the ability to leave if they are taking the same job with us, so we will probably only be able to get one of his coaches.

I would go off the deep end if we managed to sign Richard as DC. Between Quinn and him we'd have great coaches with expertise on both ends of the defense, and I can't believe in that scenario we wouldn't see huge development across the board, not to mention great players getting brought in to augment them.