Ingram: I Definitely Want To Stay With The Saints!

Kevo

Make it happen, Loomis!

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2015/01/mark_ingram_3.html

Glendale, Ariz. -- New Orleans Saints running back Mark Ingram will hit free agency this season with a chance to test the waters. Ingram said the Saints have told him they want him back.

"They said they want me back, for sure," he said. "I was their draft pick, so they said they definitely want me to come back."

But does he want to be back?

Ingram's four-year career with the Saints has been a roller-coaster ride, beset by injuries and streaks of success. He admitted this season, capped off with his first Pro Bowl berth, has been the best of his career.

However, there were reports that Ingram requested a trade in 2013 at a time that he was struggling with injury and his on-field performance. Ingram and Saints coach Sean Payton both vehemently denied the report.

That all seems to be in the past. Ingram said Thursday he wants to be back with the Saints, who traded into the first round of the 2011 draft to select him. He hasn't forgotten that leap of faith.

"I want to be a Saint. I was drafted there. I'm always appreciative and grateful for that," he said. "It's a great organization, first class. We have a great foundation of young talent. I just feel like we've got to keep improving and getting better. I definitely want to stay with the Saints."

Ingram can't deny that he's wondered what it would be like to go to a team that utilizes a featured running back instead of the Saints' committee approach.

"Of course there's always that 'what if you go somewhere and you could be the main guy and do everything', but I love the Saints and want to be a Saint," he said.

Ingram has not spoken to the Saints since his exit meeting at the conclusion of the season, and sources say there's been no discussion yet about a new contact. But he feels he left on a positive note.

He added: "We'll see what happens. It's a long process. Free agents can't do anything until March. So we'll see what happens."

I'm honestly on the shane vereen bandwagon, and I like Ingram a lot.

He is EXACTLY what PT is, except younger.

Give me a mid-late round RB flyer, signing Vereen, and ultimately going with a 2-back system with Vereen as your 3rd down back when PT retires and Khiry gets overpaid.

I don't think he's earned top dollar yet, he's a 4 year pro and barely made the pro bowl. I think he can be a work horse RB somewhere but is not going to get utilized that way in Nola. If i'm SP and Co. I only keep him if he wants to come back at a cheap price. Otherwise we can probably find a good back somewhere in the draft.

I don't think he's earned top dollar yet, he's a 4 year pro and barely made the pro bowl. I think he can be a work horse RB somewhere but is not going to get utilized that way in Nola. If i'm SP and Co. I only keep him if he wants to come back at a cheap price. Otherwise we can probably find a good back somewhere in the draft.

That's what the Saints do. But they lost a versatile weapon with sproles. That's what they need more than a work hoarse.

Saints need to get a value back be it resign him or let him walk and get one in fa. A solid name experience rb won't break the bank.

Look for a versatile rb in the draft and for scout team. It's that big a need. They need 2 and maybe 1 will work out.

I'd probably go 2 or 3 active and 2 more on scout team. Injuries seems to be a issue with rbs there.

As far as barely making pro bowl. You limit the play time and it lowers the chances. Also keeps his value down. Payton knows that. So could he have been better? Yes. But hard to shine under the Brees shadow.

Cooks I predicted when drafted would be colston replacement. I still think that. Need a versatile rb though to do that.