John Clayton: Coaching Change Winners - Atl #5

NCCooley

ESPN article:

5. Atlanta Falcons (if they hire Quinn): The Falcons were willing to wait for one of the most coveted assistants on the market as they appear set to hire Seahawks defensive coordinator Dan Quinn following the Super Bowl. Quinn can fix Atlanta's ailing defense while recently hired offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan can help maximize Matt Ryan's potential at QB as Atlanta looks to return to postseason play. Normally, franchises don't wait for coaches in the Super Bowl, but the Falcons had enough quality assistants under contract to potentially supply Quinn a staff with minimal holes to fill.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to say, this coaching search was played out to near perfection. We allowed Tice to go and we know why now, we are switching to a ZBS, but we retained Robinskie, Armstrong, Cox and others and for our patience our new HC one of the most coveted assistants on the market, and in all probability be able to quickly turn around, with a few new critical pieces from draft and FA, a moribund defense. We have not been DiMitroffedd!!!, we've been BlankED!!!!!

Here's the whole article. I'm not sure I agree with a lot of these. I don't think the Bills made a great hire. I wanted Rex here, but I don't think he's as good a fit there. They've done nothing really to address that offense. I also don't think either Oakland or Chicago should be ranked ahead of us, but I do think the Jets could be.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12201701/coaching-hires-winners-losers-john-clayton-mailbag

Winners

1. Buffalo Bills: The Bills didn't figure to be in the hunt for a coach following a 9-7 campaign, but Marrone surprised them by opting out of his contract three days after the season. Landing Rex Ryan as a replacement was a major move for the franchise. Already revered for his work building up defenses, Ryan inherits a top-five unit in Buffalo, and the offense could benefit from his hiring of former 49ers offensive coordinator Greg Roman. Now, the organization needs to find this new staff the right quarterback in order to succeed.

2. Michigan Wolverines: Are you kidding me? Michigan got a proven commodity in Jim Harbaugh for close to the same base salary he earned in San Francisco. Harbaugh knows how to produce winners, which makes Michigan a big winner this offseason.

3. Chicago Bears: Getting a proven winner such as John Fox was an amazing get for a team that bottomed out last year. Fox, who is looking to lead his third franchise to the Super Bowl, can help rehabilitate the team's culture, while beating out Washington and others for prized defensive coordinator Vic Fangio will certainly help improve the on-field product.

4. Oakland Raiders: Instead of following their usual script in pursuing an assistant coach, Oakland broke from the norm in picking Jack Del Rio, who has roots in the Bay area and really wanted the position. Having won in his previous head-coaching role in Jacksonville should help as Oakland looks to rebuild with rookie QB Derek Carr.

5. Atlanta Falcons (if they hire Quinn): The Falcons were willing to wait for one of the most coveted assistants on the market as they appear set to hire Seahawks defensive coordinator Dan Quinn following the Super Bowl. Quinn can fix Atlanta's ailing defense while recently hired offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan can help maximize Matt Ryan's potential at QB as Atlanta looks to return to postseason play. Normally, franchises don't wait for coaches in the Super Bowl, but the Falcons had enough quality assistants under contract to potentially supply Quinn a staff with minimal holes to fill.

Losers

1. San Francisco 49ers: No knock on Jim Tomsula, but it's hard to sell fans on a relatively unknown defensive line coach replacing a guy who reached three consecutive conference title games. Harbaugh had perhaps the best coaching staff in football during his tenure and it led to plenty of success before this year's decline. Can Tomsula duplicate that success by the Bay? We'll see.

2. Doug Marrone, hot assistant coaches: Marrone's gamble fell short as he went from head coach of a Buffalo team that appeared on the rise to an assistant/offensive line coach in Jacksonville. How he could decide to take the $4 million buyout of his contract despite not having another head-coaching job lined up is incredible.

3. "Hot" assistant coaches: This year, franchises preferred hiring coaches with track records instead of taking a chance on one of the hot, but unproven coordinators. Tomsula and Todd Bowles (Jets) were the only assistants without previous head-coaching experience -- although each had stints as interim head coaches -- to land jobs, leaving several of their peers to battle it out for coordinator positions.

4. Adam Gase, former Denver Broncos offensive coordinator: He was considered the hottest offensive assistant in the league this time last year. Now, he's scrambling for another coordinator job. He's a bright young coach, but changing agents the Sunday before the end of the regular season might have confused teams looking at him.

5. Brian Schottenheimer, St. Louis Rams: A couple of years ago, many people predicted he'd be a head coach by now. Instead, he is heading to college to become the offensive coordinator for the Georgia Bulldogs. Not sure that was the right move to help increase his odds at becoming an NFL head coach.

I don't agree with the Raiders being winners here. The Del Rio hire makes sense for a franchise trying to stabilize itself but they squandered that completely by hiring Musgrave as their OC, whose only career bright spot so far has been Matt Ryan. Everywhere else he has gone has been marked by complete failure and that is not what they or Carr need.

I don't agree with the Raiders being winners here. The Del Rio hire makes sense for a franchise trying to stabilize itself but they squandered that completely by hiring Musgrave as their OC, whose only career bright spot so far has been Matt Ryan. Everywhere else he has gone has been marked by complete failure and that is not what they or Carr need.

And Mike Smith as DC

That list is utter BS

Throw out Michigan since they are a college team.

Fox and Gase couldn't win it all with Manning now Gase is going to take his scheme to Chicago with Cutler lol he will have 100 int's next year. Fangio is a good hire

Ryan inherits a very good D but Roman couldn't develop Kaepernick and WTH is he going to do with Manuel and no first round pick.

Del Rio LMAOOOOOOOO

Quinn/Shanahan with Ryan and the ZBS with our personnel blows all of them out of the water.

Lol at Chicago being ranked ahead of us

Fox is HORRIBLE!

Yep. Bears will be lucky to go 6-10 next year, and it will be all downhill from there...also agree with hjerry, this looks to be nothing more than a list, not an attempt at ranking the quality. If it is a ranking, then Clayton must be channeling his inner moron.