They Key To Success In The Nfl Might Just Be...

Goal2Go

Longevity.

Was reading this and thought it was a good article.

http://www.newyorker.com/news/sporting-scene/fired-the-life-span-of-an-n-f-l-coach

I understand that the long tenure coaches generally last that long due to their successes but maybe at this point once "Quinn" or what ever coach, gets here we can keep him despite win loss records and dump the useless talent and or talent evaluators.. I know if I played in the nfl I would much rather come into a system that has been around a while rather than one that flops every couple of years.. I know the average life span of a NFL coach is short but maybe, just maybe the Falcons could set a new standard and find some normality and sustained success along the way.. I grow tired of the FO talking about it and never actually doing it.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Furthermore,

Maybe we should put more effort into the Scouting process and less into the HC Fall guy practicetongue.png The average salary of a NFL scout is 65k per year which is nothing compared to coaches "5 mil". Thats 65k a year for Year round work traveling the country and sometimes world. My vote is that we switch the salary of HC and Talent scouts-evaluators for a few seasons and see where that leaves us. It can't get any worse! laugh.png

...meanwhile, the Atlanta Falcons just fired their winningest coach after his sixth year but says they are looking for consistency despite I rough road the past couple years to injury and poor draft selections.

Blank doesn't have the patience...

Edited by nomak

As such is life... You don't see the pattern of everything until after it all plays out. And it won't all play out until everything is done. And it won't be done until a massive fireball lands in the Pacific, vaporizing the water and killing all life on Earth. Then, and only then, we will know the secret to success in the NFL, but by then we won't have time to figure it out.

BTW, how much would you bet that event occurs with us sitting on the one-yard line (goal to go) of the Super Bowl with four seconds left and trailing by five points?

The point is Smith had awful speed to execution on anything that was out of his comfort zone. If it was cutting back on penalties it would be fixed that day. However how many new buzz words surfaced after a season came to an end and never amounted to anything? Things like "explosive plays" and "toughness". Smith was successful when he was in his comfort zone of running the ball and winning time of possession. When the front office wanted something different he got out of his comfort zone, looked lost and really struggled. He lost his ways of what made him successful when he was trying to be someone he wasn't. A lot of first time head coaches or leaders in general do. It's hard to adapt from what you are used to. The problem is he didn't have the people around him in place to compensate in the areas he was weaker at. He hired a bunch of guys that shared similar strengths and philosophies so when he had to "think outside of the box", he didn't have that alternative point of view or someone that was stronger in his weaker areas to balance it out. Quinn mentions adapting and tweaking his scheme all the time based on who they play, even throughout the game. Smith was stuck in his ways and didn't adapt well. I really liked Smith most of his tenure and I wish him well, I think he will get a second chance someday and these are things I think he will learn to do in order to not have a similar fallout as he did here.

This franchise continually speaks of sustained success, consistency and resilience. I am not suggesting that we kept mike smith. I am suggesting that the before mentioned qualities can never be gained by firing a head coach every 4 years on average. Maybe, from this point forward that trend can change..

the "instant gratification" -- "win now" -- "what have you done for me lately" mindset that is so prevalent now won't allow for longevity unless it works out to be a bill belichek/tom brady type situation.

but then there's the 'marvin lewis' anomaly.

Or Tom Coughlin exc. That is my point as well. I know hind sight is 20/20 but what would have been the difference if we kept Mora for a decade or maybe Dan reeves? Two coaches who both did a good job yet were fired early IMO. I know reeves asked to be let go under the regime change but still. We could have been a more desirable landing place for prospective FA at the minimum.

As such is life... You don't see the pattern of everything until after it all plays out. And it won't all play out until everything is done. And it won't be done until a massive fireball lands in the Pacific, vaporizing the water and killing all life on Earth. Then, and only then, we will know the secret to success in the NFL, but by then we won't have time to figure it out.

BTW, how much would you bet that event occurs with us sitting on the one-yard line (goal to go) of the Super Bowl with four seconds left and trailing by five points?

We have never been in that position In a super bowl so I'd have to say. Mathematically speaking NEVER.

Keeping mike smith would have been bad! PERIOD

I never said keep Mike smith. I am speaking forwardly in terms of "outside the box" ways this franchise might grow. **** the patriots don't generally follow any preconceived notions of normality which in and of itself may place the coach at less of a risk for being fired. Look at him. he is exactly like mike smith was in terms of personality. They could be brothers!! tongue.png Every year it's some new rule defining thing that pops outta that organization yet all our FO does despite the owner in place is sit on it's hands and follow the norm.. sad.png In the before mentioned "What have you done for me lately" league, there should be no NORM. There is not time for one. So we should make a new one on our terms.

I never said keep Mike smith. I am speaking forwardly in terms of "outside the box" ways this franchise might grow. **** the patriots don't generally follow any preconceived notions of normality which in and of itself may place the coach at less of a risk for being fired. Look at him. he is exactly like mike smith was in terms of personality. They could be brothers!! tongue.png Every year it's some new rule defining thing that pops outta that organization yet all our FO does despite the owner in place is sit on it's hands and follow the norm.. sad.png In the before mentioned "What have you done for me lately" league, there should be no NORM. There is not time for one. So we should make a new one on our terms.

Understandable