Db#11 Mock Offseason V 7.0

Well if you read the title you're all probably thinking I'm gonna sign this kid up for mocking rehab.... Yes this is literally my 7th mock offseason and I might need rehab, but 7th times the charm right? Please tell me somebody uses that phrase.... Anyways mocker fockers and falcon faithful alike here is my take on our team post-coaching hires/soon-to-be hires.

As we all know we have not only acquired Kyle Shanahan, but post-superbowl we also shall snag Dan Quinn. I'm fine with the hires even though, like most of you know, I was an Austin guy. But I'll deal with it. Now the thing is Nolan? Rumor is he could be joining the Cards.... I wouldn't buy it fully, but IMO Nolan+Quinn isn't really the blend or mold we're trying to build defensively....So truthfully I see Nolan kicking the can mid-February. Which will lead to us bringing in either Jim Schwartz,Rocky Seto,Bryan Cox (via promotion),or Ken Norton Jr. MY preferred DC choice is obviously Schwartz because we'd get that slight nastiness that we would've gotten if we would've hired Rex like most wanted, but I'd be happy with Norton,Cox, or Seto.

So here is what we got ahead of us with expiring contracts and what I see Quinn and co. doing...

RESIGNS

Javier Arenas-EXPIRE, lets face it he didn't see much playing time when Smitty was here so why would we think he'd be anything more than a STs player with Quinn at the helm? Thats what I expect Quinn to come do for us build true depth not just 4-5 rotation guys and then the rest primarily STs players.

Kroy Biermann-EXPIRE, sorry bierfann's he is burnt out. He used to be one awesome chess piece, but those days are way behind him. He is nothing more than a rotation guy now.. If that.

Matt Bryant-RESIGN, look he is the best kicker in the league. We would be foolish not to sign him. Could you imagine how many games we would've lost if it wasn't for him over the past few years?

Gabe Carimi-RESIGN, at the beginning of the year he was a stud. IMO he was the best signing of the offseason after the first few weeks. Then Hawley,Blalock,Baker,Holmes,etc. where hurt and he was lost in the mixing and matching of our OLINE. To me he is worth a prove it deal. Plus I think he would be a nice piece to have in our new zone blocking scheme. I mean if you rewatch some of his earlier games he posses some nice speed for a OT/OG.

Drew Davis-EXPIRE, he is a ST guy. No biggy losing him.

Patrick Dimarco-EXPIRE, Quinn will want to be more balanced,and with that we need a true mauler at FB! I mean look at the best RBs in the league. Most of them got a good FB blocking in front of them. AP (before issues) has got Felton, Murray has Clutts, Lynch has Tukuafu. What do those have in common? They can open hole by themselves. Its time to get another guy like Mughelli or Griffith.

Charles Godfrey-EXPIRE, Yet another ST guy.

Harland Gunn-EXPIRE, I was a high advocate for Gunn, but I think Quinn will want to make room for more zone blocking guys.

Mike Johnson-EXPIRE, Injury prone no need to fill the IR list.

Dwight Lowery-RESIGN, He was arguably the best player on our defense last year. We would be silly to not resign him. Give him a 2-3 year deal, and lets use him to shut down Graham and co. like he did throughout the year.

Cliff Matthews-EXPIRE, Another ST guy.

Bobby Mac-RESIGN, Good NB/Depth guy. I think with some real pressure our CBs will become instantly better.

Bear Pascoe-EXPIRE, No need for the redneck Tight End

Corey Peters-RESIGN, Look he was the best DT we had this year. He provided great inside power pressure, and was somewhat effective against the run. He could be a good rotation guy in Quinn's 4-3.

Quizz Rodgers-RESIGN, Bring back Quizz! He should strive as a smaller back in our new zone blocking scheme.

Antone Smith-RESIGN or Tag, Look we can't let him slip away. I don't wanna see him in Saints Gold like some of you have said he could easily be next year. He is our best home run hitter, and he would be a good gunner to replace Davis.

Nathan Stupar-RESIGN, Yes I want to bring Stupar back for STs purposes only. Everytime he was on the field he was around the football. I even think he caused 2 fumbles this year.

Sean Weatherspoon-RESIGN, Prove it deal only. If he don't accept let him go. He would be nice veteran leadership for a team that lacked it last year.

Osi Umenyiora-RETIRED

Eric Weems-RESIGN, Alright he is our final primarily ST guy. Him,Smith,Goodman, and Stupar practically made ALL STs tackles throughout the year. Plus lets not forget he is one of most motivated players.

TJ Yates-EXPIRE, Easily replacable. Below average backup QB

Josh Wilson-EXPIRE, He played well last year, but I resigned Bobby Mac so he isn't needed for extra/wasted depth.

SURPRISE CUTS

Devin Hester

Justin Blalock

Steven Jackson

Zeke Motta

Johnathan Babineaux

Sean Baker

Alright since we didn't sign anyone to an extremely long big money contracts it should leave us with some room to make some huge moves. So here is our..

FREE AGENCY

Pernell McPhee, OLB/DE-Here we have it Falcons fans. Our first piece to having a solid defense. McPhee is a good sized rusher who has shown he can get the job done. He totaled 7.5 sacks with limited reps in a Ravens uniform because he backs up Dummervil,Upshaw,and Suggs. Our pass rushing "threats" aren't as deep so he would be the main guy. An I'm positive he is up for the task.

Byron Maxwell, CB-The advantage to having Quinn is we get some Seattle talent... And well they are in the superbowl so that must mean their talent is pretty dam good. He would pair up with Tru on the outside to allow Alf to move back into the slot where he strived in his rookie year.

Jerrell Freeman, MLB-He is one of the most underrated players in the league. Not only is he a solid LB tackling wise as he racked up 94 tackles, but he might just be one of the best coverage LBs in the game. He would be a huge addition to our defense. If there was a MUST HAVE guy this free agency he is the guy. I'm tired of seeing #55 blow easy coverages across the middle

Brian Hoyer, QB-Thanks Kyle. After being benched for Connor Shaw and Johnny Manziel I would assume he isn't gonna get a starting QB role anywhere unless Buffalo comes in, and wants to give EJ some competition. So he would be our next backup QB. I'd be very comfortable if he was to step in if Matt was to get hurt over a few games. (knock on wood)

Jerome Felton, FB-Remember how I said we need a big FB who can open up some holes? Why not just get the best FB in the league? I mean his asking price couldn't be too high could it?

Dan Connolly, OG-DB man what are you thinking? You wanna replace Blalock with an older guard? Yes I do person that doubts me! He is a versatile lineman that can play in both man and zone blocking schemes. He would be a stop-gap pickup, but he would be a very nice stop-gap player to have.

THE DRAFT

Here it is guys the part that tears the board in half. The draft.... I hope I don't make yall tear your hair out....

1st-Vic Beasley, OLB Clemson

I know you wanted Ray. But I can't see him falling to us unless we trade up, and lets face it thats how we got ourselves into this mess. Beasley is explosive off the snap. His first step and spin move is deadily. He can at times be silent mostly against running teams, but if you want a good pass rusher pick him up. Oh and for Quinn he would serve same purpose as Bruce Irvin in his system.

2nd-AJ Cann, OG South Carolina

Remember how I said Connolly was a stop gap player? Well here is his replacement when his time is done. Cann is a powerful player that will really open some holes in the running game. Of course it will take time to learn that NFL curve (pass blocking), but I think he will be one fine player. I'd be delighted to have him,Stone,and Matthews anchoring our lines in the future.

3rd-Tevin Coleman, RB Indiana

He was the Hooziers offense this year. I think this upcoming RB class all will be a round or so later than whats projected because of the red flags around them top prospects like Gordon and Gurley. So hopefully he falls right to us. He reminds me of a McFadden type runner with a little more speed. Would be a great addition to add to Smith,Freeman,and Quizz.

4th-Phillip Dorsett, WR Miami FL.

Hester's replacement. He has electric speed, and after HD is done he can also be his replacement. As we speak he is tearing it up at the Senior Bowl. Would be a nice addition to our already solid WR group.

5th-AJ Johnson, MLB Tennessee

Forget the red flags. The kid has talent and excellent pro-ready leadership skills. To me he is Patrick Willis 2.0, and he could be available to us in the 5th? That is the definition of a steal.

6th-Eric Rowe, CB Utah

Very solid CB in college. He also has that size Quinn loves as he stand 6'1" at 205lbs. Could be a good depth/development guy.

7th-CJ Uzomah, TE Auburn

I met the guy is person.. Freaking huge! He actually isn't bad at high pointing and catching footballs even tho Auburn rarely throws. Could compete with Levine for the starting spot.

FINAL 53 + PRACTICE SQUAD

QB-Matt Ryan,Brian Hoyer

RB-Jacquizz Rodgers,Devonta Freeman,Antone Smith,Tevin Coleman

FB-Jerome Felton

WR-Julio Jones,Roddy White,Harry Douglas,Phillip Dorsett,Eric Weems

TE-Levine Toilolo,CJ Uzomah

LT-Jake Matthews

LG-Dan Connolly,AJ Cann

C-James Stone,Joe Hawley

RG-Jon Asamoah,Peter Konz,Gabe Carimi

RT-Sam Baker,Lamar Holmes,Ryan Schraeder

DE-Pernell McPhee,Maliciah Goodman,Johnathan Massaqoui,Stansley Maponga

DT/NT-Paul Soliai,Ra'Shede Hageman,Tyson Jackson,Corey Peters

OLB-Sean Weatherspoon,Vic Beasley,Joplo Bartu,Prince Shembo

MLB-Jerrell Freeman,Paul Worrilow,AJ Johnson,Nathan Stupar

CB-Byron Maxwell,Desmond Trufant,Eric Rowe

NCB-Robert Alford,Robert McClain

SS-William Moore,Dez Southward

FS-Dwight Lowery,Kemal Ishmael

K/P-Matt Bryant,Matt Bosher

KR/PR-Eric Weems,Phillip Dorsett

LS-Josh Harris

Ricardo Allen CB

Marquis Spriull MLB

Bernard Reedy WR

Geraldo Boldewijn WR

Kyle Miller TE

Ray Drew DE

Bo Wallace QB

Ray Vinopal FS/CB

Mitch Morse OT

Synjyn Days RB/FB

thoughts?

Edited by DB#11_And_The_Polls

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

What else about the salary cap and free agency do you not understand? Let's get it all out in the open before V.8 gets rolled out.

IM no cap wiz by any means. But aside from my "franchise tag" mistake I pretty much got it down sir! Won't happen again. Now how would you feel about that transition tag? That way we can monitor how he is valued by other teams,and we can play the price is right with him.

IM no cap wiz by any means. But aside from my "franchise tag" mistake I pretty much got it down sir! Won't happen again. Now how would you feel about that transition tag? That way we can monitor how he is valued by other teams,and we can play the price is right with him.

You don't tag 30 year old RB's coming off IR that have been primarily ST guys their entire career. I want to resign him and see if Shanahan can unleash him, but only at the right price. We have to resign Julio and fix the D. If some team like the saints want to be dumb and over pay for him, let them. RB's are a dime a dozen. He's replaceable.

You don't tag 30 year old RB's coming off IR that have been primarily ST guys their entire career. I want to resign him and see if Shanahan can unleash him, but only at the right price. We have to resign Julio and fix the D. If some team like the saints want to be dumb and over pay for him, let them. RB's are a dime a dozen. He's replaceable.

Considering that he made a cool $730,000 last year, I'd imagine he'd resign for a 3 year, $3.5 million. He's well aware of the fact that he can't pick up the blitz for sh*t, so I'd imagine he'd resign for a pretty lucrative contract like that. Maybe throw in some bonuses with it, to sweeten the pot.

Nice job overall. The mistakes like franchise Smith and Kroy a Fa plus don't think cutting Hester is bright nor I see Falcons doing that. Plus drafting Beasley at 8 I see no value. I'd rather trade down 15-20 spots and risk getting him there and getting picks back

Nice job overall. The mistakes like franchise Smith and Kroy a Fa plus don't think cutting Hester is bright nor I see Falcons doing that. Plus drafting Beasley at 8 I see no value. I'd rather trade down 15-20 spots and risk getting him there and getting picks back

Thank you for your input.

Some here like you wouldn't mind trading back an selecting someone like Peat or possibly Beasley.