Anybody Hear Dled On 92.9 Today Saying That Smith Wanted Dent?

falconidae

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's what I kept questioning. Then TD always seemed all over the place, but I was told he is very thorough. I didn't see how. Then I also found out Smith liked smaller schools and having people who knew each other. PLUS people he "identified" with. Not demonizing Smitty, but just some things I have heard. I was never truly a fan, but was fearful we would hire McDaniels and a couple of other things I won't mention. He's a good dude, but he needs to be an assistant.

So our obsession with guys from Montana and the Dakotas was Smitty's doing? I suppose none of what you're saying is all that surprising. Dimitroff seems a lot more of a bottom line oriented, this is a business kind of guy whereas Smitty comes across as someone who wants to avoid disappointing people at all costs. If Smitty was really influencing our drafting that would probably explain our near total focus on ST guys with character rather than high ceiling guys with issues in the mid and late rounds.

So our obsession with guys from Montana and the Dakotas was Smitty's doing? I suppose none of what you're saying is all that surprising. Dimitroff seems a lot more of a bottom line oriented, this is a business kind of guy whereas Smitty comes across as someone who wants to avoid disappointing people at all costs. If Smitty was really influencing our drafting that would probably explain our near total focus on ST guys with character rather than high ceiling guys with issues in the mid and late rounds.

Yeah it just never fit.

Guest facelessman07

You're going to make me say it...

yes...

EDIT: dude has been trying to tell me for years, but I thought he was just being who he is. This is one of those mule mind moments of mine though. He would know way better than I.

Lol nah brah, quite honestly I thought he was a mid-tier GM, nothing great. I've criticized him plenty, but hearing this from you has changed my tune somewhat. I always looked at TD and Smitty the way I view a presidential election, vote for the lesser of the two evils. Maybe...maybe TD isn't so bad, but much of what happens this offseason should give that some foundation

If he proves me wrong I'll be happy to take back all the mean things I've said about his job as a GM and his hair

Lol nah brah, quite honestly I thought he was a mid-tier GM, nothing great. I've criticized him plenty, but hearing this from you has changed my tune somewhat. I always looked at TD and Smitty the way I view a presidential election, vote for the lesser of the two evils. Maybe...maybe TD isn't so bad, but much of what happens this offseason should give that some foundation

If he proves me wrong I'll be happy to take back all the mean things I've said about his job as a GM and his hair

I thought so too, but...I've been wrong about greater things. Konz was Smith's guy btw. Smith liked him. Go back and look at the lists of guys brought here by TD for a better look. You will find we drafted a LOT of guys who never even came here.

Whether GM genius roster builder or GM puppet bike rider this is turrible:

2015 Cap Splits

ATL - $85M offense, $22M defense

IND - $40M offense, $55M defense

GB - $48M offense, $68M defense

NE - $66M offense, $67M defense

SEA - $41M offense, $63M defense

With no Oline, no DLine, no pass rush, no run game, No LBs and one DB? Any GM overseeing that should be fired immediately. Instead he gets moved up to Blank McKay Korn Ferry Banner status. And Smitty was the architect? LMAO.

Whether GM genius roster builder or GM puppet bike rider this is turrible:

2015 Cap Splits

ATL - $85M offense, $22M defense

IND - $40M offense, $55M defense

GB - $48M offense, $68M defense

NE - $66M offense, $67M defense

SEA - $41M offense, $63M defense

With no Oline, no DLine, no pass rush, no run game, No LBs and one DB? Any GM overseeing that should be fired immediately. Instead he gets moved up to Blank McKay Korn Ferry Banner status. And Smitty was the architect? LMAO.

I agree, that is bad no matter who did it. We will know for certain soon enough.

Guest facelessman07

I thought so too, but...I've been wrong about greater things. Konz was Smith's guy btw. Smith liked him. Go back and look at the lists of guys brought here by TD for a better look. You will find we drafted a LOT of guys who never even came here.

Konz....Smith...WHAT?!?!?!?!

I'm driving down to Flowery Branch to slap TD for ever listening to Smith

Dear lord that is putrid

Either way, if you are honest most of TATF thought Dent was a great 3rd round pick at the time, I know I did, but I'm not making the NFL $$$ either....

not me. I knew we were screwed when Dimitroff came out explaining the pick by saying Akeem Dent would be a great special teams player for us.......I was like "ok......, you just spent a premium pick in a guy and all you can talk about is special teams?

Konz....Smith...WHAT?!?!?!?!

I'm driving down to Flowery Branch to slap TD for ever listening to Smith

Dear lord that is putrid

GM is a largely overrated position in some places. He is the executive personnel director. HC is supposed to let that guy know what he wants. Most with some years on them, will veto decisions like these after a while. Pioli though. Different kind of guy.

not me. I knew we were screwed when Dimitroff came out explaining the pick by saying Akeem Dent would be a great special teams player for us.......I was like "ok......, you just spent a premium pick in a guy and all you can talk about is special teams?

I wanted KJ Wright, I just decided not to moan about it for too long.

Man you guys will believe anything people tell you. So TD who was in scouting from 1992 - 2007 before becoming a GM would be strong armed by Mike Smith, a first time HC with no evaluating talent background, in drafting players? Think, would you do that if you were TD? Or would you be saying listen here Smitty, I been looking and evaluating players for more than 15 years now. So why don't you do your job and I'll do mine?

GM is a largely overrated position in some places. He is the executive personnel director. HC is supposed to let that guy know what he wants. Most with some years on them, will veto decisions like these after a while. Pioli though. Different kind of guy.

Unfortunately Pioli doesn't know when to force his hand and when to ease off, and he ends up making his coworkers hatch murder plots after a year or so. Which sucks because purely as a personnel guy he has a decent enough track record.

Guest facelessman07

Man you guys will believe anything people tell you. So TD who was in scouting from 1992 - 2007 before becoming a GM would be strong armed by Mike Smith, a first time HC with no evaluating talent background, in drafting players? Think, would do that if you were TD? Or would you be saying listen here Smitty, I been looking and evaluating players for more than 15 years now. So why don't you do your job and I'll do mine?

And here we go...

Whether GM genius roster builder or GM puppet bike rider this is turrible:2015 Cap SplitsATL - $85M offense, $22M defenseIND - $40M offense, $55M defenseGB - $48M offense, $68M defenseNE - $66M offense, $67M defenseSEA - $41M offense, $63M defenseWith no Oline, no DLine, no pass rush, no run game, No LBs and one DB? Any GM overseeing that should be fired immediately. Instead he gets moved up to Blank McKay Korn Ferry Banner status. And Smitty was the architect? LMAO.

Wow, seeing the disparity shows how inept Dummytroff truly is in having built this team. Mike Smith having influence or not, the GM is ultimately responsible for the roster and personnel.