Anybody Hear Dled On 92.9 Today Saying That Smith Wanted Dent?

falconidae

Yeah, I was shocked to hear a few things in recent weeks. Had to rethink a few things. Matthews not being drafted was Smith. TD and he had an issue over it because TD is friends with the Matthews family and feared he burned a bridge, based on the amount of times Clay and his father visited and sat with the team.

So I have been told by a few people, who feel as though they can speak on it now.

Geez...talk about a dysfunctional Falcon family. Ugg.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I was shocked to hear a few things in recent weeks. Had to rethink a few things. Matthews not being drafted was Smith. TD and he had an issue over it because TD is friends with the Matthews family and feared he burned a bridge, based on the amount of times Clay and his father visited and sat with the team.

So I have been told by a few people, who feel as though they can speak on it now.

You can just look at the number of visits we had with him back in 2009.

How do you think Smitty would have used Clay? You know he had no clue what to do with him. That's why I always say he would have busted here. Not because he wasn't good, but because Smitty would have force fed him into bad positions. This is exactly why I believe a GM is only as good as his HC.

Man, I never heard that part

Wow, how different the defense coulda been with Clay

WOW.....

Wow.

Could have had a Matthews family reunion last year... sigh

I told the story once, but thought it was TD's fault. Thought we had THAT type of FO. I disliked TD ever since. Never knew it was Smith, but it is said that Smith REALLY wanted Jerry to make up for Dorsey. TD did most of the rest of that draft, including Sidbury because TD was pensive about the pass rush.

How do you think Smitty would have used Clay? You know he had no clue what to do with him. That's why I always say he would have busted here. Not because he wasn't good, but because Smitty would have force fed him into bad positions. This is exactly why I believe a GM is only as good as his HC.

Well, the reason I thought it was TD is because after BvG was fired, he mentioned wanting and needing Matthews as well as Abraham thinking so, so he gained weight and was preparing to play LE. A few guys close to the team, as well as a couple of guys who know him said Abe was bummed about not getting Matthews. Some say that move killed BvG's career in ATL. BvG is an aggressive DC.

Well, the reason I thought it was TD is because after BvG was fired, he mentioned wanting and needing Matthews as well as Abraham thinking so, so he gained weight and was preparing to play LE. A few guys close to the team, as well as a couple of guys who know him said Abe was bummed about not getting Matthews. Some say that move killed BvG's career in ATL. BvG is an aggressive DC.

Corey Peters offsides penalty to lose the game a few years back is what killed BVG's career. While also giving us one of the best sports gifs of all time :D

It never made sense to me. That's one of the things I went cold on Smitty with but gave him a pass because Jerry looked to be a good player before the injury. Smitty should have known better than to think you can run a defense with two 3T DTs.

It's just funny how the man who wanted the pass rush most was not the man most here thought.

didnt know that ... good info KOG

Guest facelessman07

KOG,

If you got any other info similar please tell us, that is if you want. We'd love to hear more of what happened behind the scenes

It never made sense to me. That's one of the things I went cold on Smitty with but gave him a pass because Jerry looked to be a good player before the injury. Smitty should have known better than to think you can run a defense with two 3T DTs.

It's just funny how the man who wanted the pass rush most was not the man most here thought.

You know. Jaymadd can tell you. I was talking a lot about some injuries to the lower extremities that year, as well as his age. I said it was a red flag. That came from info I received, not personal wisdom or genius of my own.

Yeah, If TD had drafted Chancellor or Sherman, they may have just stayed on the bench here.

If Smith influenced many of TD's worst picks, may explain why he still has a job.

didnt know that ... good info KOG

Some of what I have you and I spoke about already. I just didn't know the most recent info.

KOG,

If you got any other info similar please tell us, that is if you want. We'd love to hear more of what happened behind the scenes

I do in my own way, but only recently did I find it was mostly Smith. A few weeks ago I was whining about keeping TD and was told I was being unfair. TD was trying to do what Smith wanted, but it was hugely unclear.

FFS70, I guess you don't believe any of this right?

I believe what TD has stated several times.

"I was ultimately responsible for the Atlanta Falcon roster from 2008-2014 and I made some mistakes."

So to me either he fkd the roster up himself or got puppeted by Smitty, Blank, Nolan and who knows else.

Should have been fired last year and definitely doesn't belong here in 2015. Not as our GM.

I believe what TD has stated several times.

"I was ultimately responsible for the Atlanta Falcon roster from 2008-2014 and I made some mistakes."

So to me either he fkd the roster up himself or got puppeted by Smitty, Blank, Nolan and who knows else.

Should have been fired last year and definitely doesn't belong here in 2015. Not as our GM.

If in my household something goes wrong, I didn't do it, but allowed it. I take full responsibility.

Guest facelessman07

The only thing that gives me solace in this Clay situation is that he would've been utilized in the worst possible way for 6 years, most of his career

Oh well...

Guest facelessman07

I always knew there was something, but I always blamed TD. Even BvG. Then I get this a few weeks ago.

I thought the same thing about BVG a few years ago, but I take it all back. His style of D is much different, much more aggressive than when he was here

I thought the same thing about BVG a few years ago, but I take it all back. His style of D is much different, much more aggressive than when he was here

That's what I kept questioning. Then TD always seemed all over the place, but I was told he is very thorough. I didn't see how. Then I also found out Smith liked smaller schools and having people who knew each other. PLUS people he "identified" with. Not demonizing Smitty, but just some things I have heard. I was never truly a fan, but was fearful we would hire McDaniels and a couple of other things I won't mention. He's a good dude, but he needs to be an assistant.

Guest facelessman07

That's what I kept questioning. Then TD always seemed all over the place, but I was told he is very thorough. I didn't see how. Then I also found out Smith liked smaller schools and having people who knew each other. PLUS people he "identified" with. Not demonizing Smitty, but just some things I have heard. I was never truly a fan, but was fearful we would hire McDaniels and a couple of other things I won't mention. He's a good dude, but he needs to be an assistant.

So...from what you've heard TD is somewhat competent as a GM??

It doesn't really matter what Smith wanted. At the end of the day one guy was pay to make personel decisions while the other was pay to win games. If you are a HC and you let your QB convince you to go forth on 4th down but end up not getting the first down, do you get to blame the result on your QB? Of course not. Same thing apply here. TD can get inputs from Smith and whoever else he wanted to listen to, but ultimately it is his decision to make. That was his job and what he was pay to do.