Interesting, Semi-Conspiratorial Thought

JDaveG

I was listening to D-Led on 680 on the way to run an errand, and he mentioned our cap space. He didn't specifically mention last year or 2013, but it got me thinking -- remember how we all wondered why we weren't spending our cap money in those seasons? I kept saying "they have to have a long-term plan in place. There must be something they see in this draft/FA period that says 'don't get a pass rusher yet,' and hopefully they're saving it up for an eventual rebuild."

Well, we all know we never spent the cap money, and we all know now that Smitty was fired for not making use of the talent we had. So I'm wondering whether part of the long game was "in case we need to make a move with our HC, we want to save some cap flexibility."

I'd be disappointed if that were the case. It's like going into a marriage with a pre-nup, saying "I do," but planning for eventual failure.

Just a thought.

We had a lot of ******* rainy days to have never used the $8 million dollar rainy day extra cap space fund we had last year.

Right. So what makes the most sense? That we didn't think we needed more pieces, that the pieces we needed weren't there (and if that's the answer, explain why we didn't get in on the run on cheap pass rushers in 2013 that carried the Seahawks to the big dance), or that they were playing a long con?

Right. So what makes the most sense? That we didn't think we needed more pieces, that the pieces we needed weren't there (and if that's the answer, explain why we didn't get in on the run on cheap pass rushers in 2013 that carried the Seahawks to the big dance), or that they were playing a long con?

I dunno. If we're to believe Blank and Dimi, Dimi wanted pass rushers but deferred to Smith and Nolan, and he wanted to trade up for Dee Ford but the chiefs snagged him first.

I was listening to D-Led on 680 on the way to run an errand, and he mentioned our cap space. He didn't specifically mention last year or 2013, but it got me thinking -- remember how we all wondered why we weren't spending our cap money in those seasons? I kept saying "they have to have a long-term plan in place. There must be something they see in this draft/FA period that says 'don't get a pass rusher yet,' and hopefully they're saving it up for an eventual rebuild."

Well, we all know we never spent the cap money, and we all know now that Smitty was fired for not making use of the talent we had. So I'm wondering whether part of the long game was "in case we need to make a move with our HC, we want to save some cap flexibility."

I'd be disappointed if that were the case. It's like going into a marriage with a pre-nup, saying "I do," but planning for eventual failure.

Just a thought.

stop reading right there.

I dunno. If we're to believe Blank and Dimi, Dimi wanted pass rushers but deferred to Smith and Nolan, and he wanted to trade up for Dee Ford but the chiefs snagged him first.

Yeah, but I still can't get over the pass rushing glut in 2013. We lost out on Bennett, Avril, Dumerville, Ware, etc. None of whom commanded huge contracts.

Maybe it's as simple as we go after what we need in the wrong years, like when we passed on Dez and then traded up for Julio the next year, then got Edwards instead of Johnson and missed the boat in 2013 on cheap pass rushers. I have a hard time believing TD is that stupid, though. I know some folks hate him, but that would be really, really poor management of our talent. Oddly, it seems more plausible to me that it's more a combination of what you suggest and what I'm suggesting. Smith said "no, let's build from the inside out," and TD at that point said to himself "okay, boss -- it's your *** on the line if it goes south."

If they're really that clueless, I expect us to draft a safety and a RB in rounds one and two this year. Because this draft is stacked with pass rush talent.

stop reading right there.

I know, I know. But I wasn't really commenting on what D-Led said. It just sparked another train of thought.

The long term plan always was and still is to save for extending key players...Julio,Tru,Mathews etc.

Julio makes sense. Tru and Matthews are a long way from being extended.

We could have easily had a pass rusher in 2013 without hampering our long term plans at all.

You dont have a billion dollar company and not have a long term and short term plan in place. There always has to be contingency money. My guess the contingency money is for covering ****** contracts for players that don't pan out. Baker is what my guess is. That money is there when we have to eat the s_hitburger that is his contract.

Yeah, but I still can't get over the pass rushing glut in 2013. We lost out on Bennett, Avril, Dumerville, Ware, etc. None of whom commanded huge contracts.

Maybe it's as simple as we go after what we need in the wrong years, like when we passed on Dez and then traded up for Julio the next year, then got Edwards instead of Johnson and missed the boat in 2013 on cheap pass rushers. I have a hard time believing TD is that stupid, though. I know some folks hate him, but that would be really, really poor management of our talent. Oddly, it seems more plausible to me that it's more a combination of what you suggest and what I'm suggesting. Smith said "no, let's build from the inside out," and TD at that point said to himself "okay, boss -- it's your *** on the line if it goes south."

If they're really that clueless, I expect us to draft a safety and a RB in rounds one and two this year. Because this draft is stacked with pass rush talent.

I know, I know. But I wasn't really commenting on what D-Led said. It just sparked another train of thought.

Plus Peppers, but he got a kinda big contract. But he played so well they could afford to move Matthews to ILB.

This board's hatred is DLed is ridiculous. I know he's largely an inept buffoon, but every time he's mentioned immediately it's "stopped reading at DLed, hyuck hyuyck!" That's an awfully cool story, bro.

I think it's just a matter of missing out on a few FAs that might've been worth the cap space, and then deciding the remaining available talent after that did not justify spending the money simply because we had it to spend.

That's probably right. I admit I'm jaded about missing out on Dumerville and watching him tear it up for the Ravens.

Those guys went cheap because Carroll and Quinn convinced them that a short term deal could get them a ring AND better deals later. They were right about both, BTW. We wouldn't have gotten Avril or Bennett for the same price to come here.

Cap space is manipulated in so many ways. Teams that are up against the cap aren't in trouble or dark days ahead and teams with plenty of cap shouldn't be looking at sunny days ahead. It's about spending wisely. I'd rather not throw around bad contracts to average ball players like Kroy Bierman and Sam Baker. In free agency the goal is find a piece of two that could contribute and you get max value and Falcons have not really spent well in free agency over the years from miscues of Ray Edwards and Dunta not living up to this contract. Turner was a big hit and maybe we could strike gold again with maybe a Mark Ingram.

There's a good point here (but not a conspiracy). We had 2 dismal seasons in which more than one person said we had the worst defensive personnel in the league. Yet we had all that unused cap money sitting there.

Either:

( a ) we thought our roster was pretty good, even though it was not (which is definitely true for 2013, when we had superbowl aspirations)

( b ) we knew our roster was in bad shape, but we felt we had to save that money for *something*. Maybe contracts, or a rainy day, or whatever

( c ) we knew our roster was in bad shape, but we didn't spend the money because Arthur didn't want to (after all, this is a business at the end of the day)

In 2014, I think the answer must be "C".

I guess Arthur looked at it as "If you guys had been doing a better job with coaching and personnel, we should be able to win without me dipping that deep into my checkbook, so no, we're not spending that money." (EDIT: And keep in mind, Arthur did spend quite a bit in 2014; Solai, Jackson, Asamoah, etc.)

And I think Arthur is right about that.

Edited by iocompletion

Well we had to worry about Mattys contract and extending Julio is a priority as well. That surely was one of the reasons. We are in very good cap shape right now, not only by the $ we have, but by the contracts that we have as well.

What kills me is that so many fans here think that our front office are completely incapable! Of course there was a plan in place for the millions of dollars involved! Any business has got to have a serious financial plan to exist. The Falcons are first and foremost a business.

To add to this conspiracy theory. Soliai and Tyson Jackson's contracts were 4/5 year deals, but I remember someone mentioning that they could be cut without a major cap hit after two years. Now some may say because of years, but it could also be that we did not think Smitty could get it done and did not want to be locked to these guys to far into the new HCs tenure.

What kills me is that so many fans here think that our front office are completely incapable! Of course there was a plan in place for the millions of dollars involved! Any business has got to have a serious financial plan to exist. The Falcons are first and foremost a business.

Yeah for sure. Our FO is really really good in my opinion. We have been patient and didn't jump the gun on free agents and restructure/backload all these contracts like the Saints. They are in a bad bad place right now not just by having the worst cap in the NFL right now, but also having more key guys leave.

I felt we did nothing in 2013 mostly because we knew we HAD to resign Matt and was uncertain of the cost. The big mistake was not getting Matt extended in February. It forced us to sit on our hands all through that FA period.

That was about as bad an offseason FA/draft combination as I've ever seen from this team. Only Trufant keeps it from being a total whiff. And we had to spend 2 picks even to get him.