Dimitroff: Pioli's Role A Recipe For Success

Mr. Hoopah!

Dimitroff: Pioli's Role a 'Recipe for Success'

Posted 5 hours ago

Reid Ferrin Twitter

Falcons general manager Thomas Dimitroff describes the impact Scott Pioli, who is spearheading college scouting and NFL Draft efforts, will have on the organization

As the Senior Bowl practices resume Wednesday, Falcons general manager Thomas Dimitroff and assistant general manager Scott Pioli will likely be seen as they were Tuesday, keenly watching players showcase their skills at Ladd-Peebles Stadium.

Since Pioli's hiring nearly one year ago, a lot has transpired, including the team's announcement just two weeks ago that he would spearhead pro and college scouting and NFL Draft responsibilities while reporting to Dimitroff.

On Tuesday, Dimitroff visited with Sirius XM's Mark Dominik and Alex Marvez and detailed how the recent change in personnel roles has been seamless.

"I’m real excited about the increased responsibility we’re giving him (Pioli) on the personnel side of things," Dimitroff said. "I trust him and everything that he brings to the table as far as his professional and scouting prowess is great, along with his personal side."

The work history between Dimitroff and Pioli shouldn't be overlooked, including stops together with the Cleveland Browns and the New England Patriots (2002-2007), where Pioli served as the team's vice president of player personnel, in charge of Dimitroff.

While the roles have changed in Atlanta, their perspectives and goals have not.

"We have a really good working relationship," Dimitroff said. "We’re philosophically very similar in how we put together our scouting programs and our plans, and our team-building elements are very congruent, so this is the perfect person to have in the organization with me and with us. I think it’s a recipe for success, and I’m excited to have him on board, kicking it into the next gear, going into this season."

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/news/article-1/Dimitroff-Piolis-Role-a-Recipe-for-Success/15c3a20f-7f8c-4e07-a952-19d849cd0ddc

Anyone who has read the War Room can see that this arrangement simply plays to the strengths of each.

Pioli is a great personnel guy and scout, who has terrible bedside manner. He's a hard ***, and he's kind of quirky for an NFL guy (he penny pinches, etc.). But he knows talent and he has an eye for how to select talent to a particular purpose.

Dimitroff is also a talented personnel guy, but he gets caught up, IMHO, in the whole speed and fluidity thing at the expense of tough, hard nosed football players. I think he sometimes gets wowed by measurables and loses sight of the fact that some of these folks just can't play at the next level. Pioli fixes that by putting a good, reliable set of eyes on things. But Dimitroff is an outstanding interpersonal relationships guy. People love working for him. So he gets to put a pretty face on Pioli's hard *** tendencies.

Sounds like usual Pioli BS to me. Think about it.... Why do you need two guys to do one guy's job? Pioli is manipulating Dimitroff. make no mistake that Pioli is the GM and you guys are screwed. This is bad. read the war room. Read how Pioli tried to convince Dimitroff that Johnny Baldwin would be every bit as good as Julio Jones at the senior bowl in mobile. man o man....

I don't really trust either one of these mfkers, especially lying in bed together while stroking Artie ....show me this draft that things are gonna change for the better, until then it is all puffery ...

Exactly, the good thing is they will probably be gone next year unless you get four starters out of the draft and that won't happen.

TD-Offensive Guy who can get some good talent especially at skill positions

Pioli-A lineman/front 7 guru! Awesome at snagging offensive lineman and front 7 greats examples including Houston,Poe,Matthews,Allen,etc.

Quinn-our secondary guy? Idk what he could bring to the table but soley judging based off of his defense in Seattle it seems as if he is great at developing an scouting CBs.

Exactly, the good thing is they will probably be gone next year unless you get four starters out of the draft and that won't happen.

Maybe it will, I'm trying to keep an open mind .....FA needs to get a helluva lot better as well. I am hoping Art instructs both of these minions to give Quinn WTF he wants and STFU.

A recipe for the 1st overall pick, isn't that right Eric Fisher? If I was Dan Quinn, I'd stay the heck away from Egoli. Todd Haley and Romeo Crennel may never head coach in this league again after being handpicked by Fat Scott.

He desperately needs to stick with Senior Bowl cameos and minimal free agency advice. If he gets his hands on this franchise in a significant way, **** will hit the fan. Kansas City fans laughed at that notion too....until it happened.

Exactly , Quinn needs to be given Carte Blanche IMO.....and IMO the KC fans are a pretty savvy bunch for the most part.

Anyone who has read the War Room can see that this arrangement simply plays to the strengths of each.

Pioli is a great personnel guy and scout, who has terrible bedside manner. He's a hard ***, and he's kind of quirky for an NFL guy (he penny pinches, etc.). But he knows talent and he has an eye for how to select talent to a particular purpose.

Dimitroff is also a talented personnel guy, but he gets caught up, IMHO, in the whole speed and fluidity thing at the expense of tough, hard nosed football players. I think he sometimes gets wowed by measurables and loses sight of the fact that some of these folks just can't play at the next level. Pioli fixes that by putting a good, reliable set of eyes on things. But Dimitroff is an outstanding interpersonal relationships guy. People love working for him. So he gets to put a pretty face on Pioli's hard *** tendencies.

I completely agree and think this is exactly what Blank had in mind.

TD-Offensive Guy who can get some good talent especially at skill positions

Pioli-A lineman/front 7 guru! Awesome at snagging offensive lineman and front 7 greats examples including Houston,Poe,Matthews,Allen,etc.

Quinn-our secondary guy? Idk what he could bring to the table but soley judging based off of his defense in Seattle it seems as if he is great at developing an scouting CBs.

Quinn's actually a D-Line guy.

I encourage everybody to research the Save Our Chiefs Movement. It was a movement started by thousands of die-hard Chief fans, that led to them flying a banner over Arrowhead multiple times saying "Fire Pioli-Save Our Chiefs". It made both the CBS and Fox postgame broadcasts.

Living in Missouri, I specifically remember the day Pioli was fired. It was essentially a statewide holiday. When I went into work the next day, there was a Pioli picture taped on the billboard with "ding dong the witch is dead!" written in sharpie. Our bosses are usually pretty strict about putting stuff on the board, but it was kept up for almost a month.

laugh.png Sounds like the Jeff George billboard on 1-75 with his face that said " Don't come around here no more " ....when they talked about Jeffy on the radio the entry music was Tom Petty ....laugh.png

I encourage everybody to research the Save Our Chiefs Movement. It was a movement started by thousands of die-hard Chief fans, that led to them flying a banner over Arrowhead multiple times saying "Fire Pioli-Save Our Chiefs". It made both the CBS and Fox postgame broadcasts.

Living in Missouri, I specifically remember the day Pioli was fired. It was essentially a statewide holiday. When I went into work the next day, there was a Pioli picture taped on the billboard with "ding dong the witch is dead!" written in sharpie. Our bosses are usually pretty strict about putting stuff on the board, but it was kept up for almost a month.

I remember it well.

Maybe it will, I'm trying to keep an open mind .....FA needs to get a helluva lot better as well. I am hoping Art instructs both of these minions to give Quinn WTF he wants and STFU.

Dimitroff already gave Smith and Nolan what they wanted - big guys, not early round pass rushers. What more do you want from him?

Because I've always liked Tyson Jackson the player. I actually have his jersey as a Falcon and as a Chief. I've been a TJ fan ever since he broke out at LSU.

My views on Tyson Jackson do not override the vast majority of experts who called it one of the worst signings of the free agency period. I was hoping he would prove the world wrong. He didn't.

Nolan and Smith didn't use him, or anyone, correctly. The guys who played well did so despite the coaches and schemes, not because of them.

I think this is a really good arrangement w/ TD & Pioli. Also think that that's exactly what they did last year, they just formalized it this year.

Think Pioli is exactly where he needs to be- asst GM- he can't pull any of the ish that got him fired as an asst, and he gets to use his talents.

Last season didn't go as planned- but the offseason was fine- spent a bunch of resources on the lines, got some talented but raw prospects in the draft, didn't trade up- Oline injuries, Spoon going out and the strange nickel killed the season, but they had a plan in the offseason.

Spend another off season building the lines, get a couple of studs early in the draft, then talented players Quinn can mold later in the draft- this team can be really good next Dec and Jan.

The thing about Pioli is, he was a penny pinching oddball weirdo in KC. Because he had full control. He doesn't have that here. Not even close. The arrangement with Dimitroff minimizes his involvement in things he does poorly (like collecting pens from conference rooms for re-use and making staffers shut their blinds during team drills) and maximizes it in things he does well (like evaluating talent -- Pioli wanted Aldon Smith in KC, for example).

He also doesn't have to worry about spending Mr. Blank's money, because Blank will gas up the private jet and fly him anywhere he wants to go.