Zone Blocking Is A Gimmick Scheme I Do Not Want

egoprime II

I don't get the enthusiasm for this style blocking. We had it before under Mora\Gibbs. It worked when our team ran the ball a ton AND had Vick running fake (and real) bootlegs. But now we have Ryan. And while we have some good backs, none of them are shifty like Dunn was. Add in the fact our O linemen have been drafted\trained for an entirely different blocking style. How many new linemen would we need?

In practice our D line would go against the ZBS. This would keep our D from practicing against the blocking style most our opponents use. And then there is this: the most successful NFL franchises Do Not Use the ZBS. Not Pittsburgh...GB...NE...SF...none of em.

Arthur Blank needs to nip this ZBS idea in the bud and stick with what this team has already been building...a strong O line built the way the best teams in the league do it. NOTE: blah STILL no paragraphs...

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't get the enthusiasm for this style blocking. We had it before under Mora\Gibbs. It worked when our team ran the ball a ton AND had Vick running fake (and real) bootlegs. But now we have Ryan. And while we have some good backs, none of them are shifty like Dunn was. Add in the fact our O linemen have been drafted\trained for an entirely different blocking style. How many new linemen would we need?

In practice our D line would go against the ZBS. This would keep our D from practicing against the blocking style most our opponents use. And then there is this: the most successful NFL franchises Do Not Use the ZBS. Not Pittsburgh...GB...NE...SF...none of em.

Arthur Blank needs to nip this ZBS idea in the bud and stick with what this team has already been building...a strong O line built the way the best teams in the league do it. NOTE: blah STILL no paragraphs...

Green Bay, Baltimore, Seattle use zone blocking. I would say the are pretty successful. Edited by FentayeJones

I agree with OP 100%. Mike Tice showed that we have decent depth as a power blocking group. Zone blocking requires lighter more athletic Olinemen to really work. And that will leave you vulnerable if you have to drop back to pass 30-40 times.

But now Tice is gone (our best coach last year, hands down). I am worried that retooling the offensive line is the last thing we should be doing. Our line is actually playoff caliber when healthy. It just hasn't been healthy in a couple years. But we have a lot of depth now and should just keep working towards power blocking and pass protection.

I agree with OP 100%. Mike Tice showed that we have decent depth as a power blocking group. Zone blocking requires lighter more athletic Olinemen to really work. And that will leave you vulnerable if you have to drop back to pass 30-40 times.

But now Tice is gone (our best coach last year, hands down). I am worried that retooling the offensive line is the last thing we should be doing. Our line is actually playoff caliber when healthy. It just hasn't been healthy in a couple years. But we have a lot of depth now and should just keep working towards power blocking and pass protection.

Zone blocking does not require lighter o-linemen. Seattle and Green Bay both run it with bigger guys.

It DOES require more athletic linemen, but we have that anyway (one reason we can't power block very well, especially on running plays, is that our o-line is very athletic and technically sound, but not particularly powerful). Our guys are used to running out on screen plays, etc., and I've seen our o-linemen blocking 20 yards downfield on some plays. This is going to work, and work very well.

...and once again this thread proves that a lot of posters desperately need to take Remedial Football 101. As was pointed out very well by the post byJDaveG the ZBS doesn't require lighter linemen, just athletic ones. Fortunately we live in a time when 6-5 310 O-linemen can run 4.8, 4.9 40s.

And as Smiler correctly pointed out just above me all NFL teams run variations of the VBS at times during games. Too many people on this board think in absolute, black and white terms. Just because it looks like the Falcons may be running the VBS a great deal of the time it doesn't mean it will be during every series and certainly not for every offensive play.

Several of you guys need to get Pat Kirwan's excellent book 'Take Your Eye Off the Ball:How to Watch Football by Knowing Where to Look.' I don't say that in a condescending manner. I learned a ton reading this book. It educated me about several aspects of the NFL.

Pick it up. A great read.

Heya FentayeJones ...I knew Seattle was heavy into ZBS, but not GB. Might explain thier issues pass blocking for Rodgers in the playoffs... Seattle and Baltimore rely heavily on thier defenses, which are the strengths of thier teams. When you have good D play the offense can run just about anything they want. But even with a stellar D I still am against ZBS. It favors run blocking at the expense of good pass blocking.

Guest Negatorris

Yeah because Tice definitely had our OL opening huge holes in the running game.

/purple

Heya Gritz. I admit there are things I don't know. But here is what I am absolutely sure of: Consistency is a key ingredient to success. Changing styles from what we are trying to do now, to ZBS run blocking, if its used a majority of our run plays, is a mistake...UNLESS we are going to keep it from here on in. That way the O line does not need re-tooling every few years. Even then, the most successful NFL franchise there is, is the Pittsburgh Steelers followed by Dallas and San Fran. They do not use ZBS and never have. Why not emulate the most successful NFL franchises and do what THEY do for a change? So that one day our franchise might be as successful as they have been?