Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fuego

11 Of 12 Pats' Footballs Under-Inflated By 2 Pounds

123 posts in this topic

I know this will get moved but though everybody would be interested in this.

The New England Patriots had 11 of their 12 allotted game footballs under-inflated by 2 pounds of air (PSI) as required by NFL regulations, according to league sources either involved or familiar with the investigation of Sunday's AFC championship game when the Patriots beat the Colts 45-7 to advance to their sixth Super Bowl.

"We are not commenting at this time," said Greg Aiello, the NFL's senior vice president of communications.

Troy Vincent, the league's senior executive vice president of football operations, said earlier Tuesday that the NFL expected to wrap up its investigation in "two or three days."

Yet to be determined is what, if any, penalties may be imposed upon Patriots. One source described the league as "disappointed ... angry ... distraught," after spending considerable time on the findings earlier Tuesday.

Part of the investigation that still needs further vetting is how the 11 footballs became under-inflated. The game balls provided to each team for preparation were required to be inspected and approved by referee Walt Anderson two hours and 15 minutes before kickoff before they were returned to each team. No alteration of footballs is allowed once they are approved, under league rules and regulations.

The balls are required be inflated between 12.5 and 13.5 pounds per square inch and weigh between 14 and 15 ounces.

"We have been in complete cooperation with the league and will continue to do so," said Patriots spokesman Stacey James.

http://espn.go.com/boston/story/_/id/12202450/nfl-says-new-england-patriots-had-inflated-footballs-afc-championship-game

Derp. If the balls must weigh between 14-15 ounces, they'd be negative pounds if they were deflated by 2LBS.

I'm sure it's pounds per square inch, but still man, could have been worded better in the article.

Derp. If the balls must weigh between 14-15 ounces, they'd be negative pounds if they were deflated by 2LBS.

I'm sure it's pounds per square inch, but still man, could have been worded better in the article.

POUNDS.

So were the Refs switching the balls out when the Colts were on offense or what? Because they weren't helped very much by it.

All in all sounds like a Reffing issue more than the Pats doing anything wrong.

So were the Refs switching the balls out when the Colts were on offense or what? Because they weren't helped very much by it.

Well it was my understanding and this may be wrong, but I believe they give each side their own balls. This was 'discovered' when a Colt intercepted of of the Patriots' balls.

Apparently each team uses their own balls, I didn't know that until recently. I don't think that justifies the score difference either way.

theDIRTYcode likes this

Well it was my understanding and this may be wrong, but I believe they give each side their own balls. This was 'discovered' when a Colt intercepted of of the Patriots' balls.

Apparently each team uses their own balls, I didn't know that until recently. I don't think that justifies the score difference either way.

Wasn't aware of this... and that's incredibly stupid if so. Just kind of sets up the possibility of cheating doesn't it?

Either way it's been said the teams don't have access to the balls until they're on the field. Were the pats carrying pins up their sleeves?

All in all i'm just kind of thoroughly confused by all this. Doesn't make sense anyway you put it. I definitely don't think it mattered to the score. The Pats' balls weren't making the Colts receivers drop passes or making Luck turn the ball over.

Wasn't aware of this... and that's incredibly stupid if so. Just kind of sets up the possibility of cheating doesn't it?

Either way it's been said the teams don't have access to the balls until they're on the field. Were the pats carrying pins up their sleeves?

All in all i'm just kind of thoroughly confused by all this. Doesn't make sense anyway you put it. I definitely don't think it mattered to the score. The Pats' balls weren't making the Colts receivers drop passes or making Luck turn the ball over.

I think I read each side gets 12 balls. And a separate set for kicking.

Yeah, I don't think it had any effect on the outcome though. Just against the rules.

"Former NFL official Jim Daopoulos, in an interview with ESPN on Monday morning, explained the process in which footballs are managed. Two hours and 15 minutes before each game, officials inspect 12 footballs from each team and put a mark on them to indicate they meet the proper requirements and are good for usage. Then those footballs are given to the ball attendant.

There also is a second set of six footballs, used specifically for the kicking game, that are marked appropriately and remain in the possession of officials at all times.

"Officials check balls as they go into the game, and if the ball doesn't feel perfect, they can throw it out," Daopoulos said. "There is always the possibility that balls can lose air due to the conditions."

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/12193345/nfl-investigating-whether-new-england-patriots-deflated-footballs-indianapolis-colts

It appears each team supply their own balls.

If this is true then the NFL needs to disqualify Pats. This is blatant cheating. It's plain and simple tampering. I don't want to hear that the score was a blowout or they also ran the ball. If they did this then they obviously felt they needed to gain an advantage to win this game and that is wrong.

I train kids with deflated footballs around 9-10lbs. It makes a HUGE different. The grip is better, you learn to through better and deeper, as well as clutch the ball. Just wow.

So wouldn't it benefit both teams equally? That's what I don't understand out of all this. If an NBA club somehow widened the rims by an extra inch, while it would be illegal, I don't see how it would benefit one team over another.

Maybe that's a bad example.

I think the teams use their own. It was an INT by D'Qwell that first brought it to light.

So wouldn't it benefit both teams equally? That's what I don't understand out of all this. If an NBA club somehow widened the rims by an extra inch, while it would be illegal, I don't see how it would benefit one team over another.

Maybe that's a bad example.

They each have their own balls. They don't use the same balls. Go back and read the posts. lol.

2 lbs. of pressure does make a difference in a ball. If your dealing with cold temperatures or rain, being able to grip the ball better makes it easier to throw. Even more so an under inflated ball is easier to catch and is not likely to bounce off of your hands and in to the defenders hands. A running back that holds the ball with the tip in his palm and the ball firmly compressed to the forearm and ribs will have an easier time as well. I've got an NFL football that is always under inflated (because I rarely put air in it) and it is much easier to throw with some zip on it.

The Colts simply lost that game. However the Patriots took an unfair advantage, and they've done it before.

Imagine the trash talking that Seattle will be doing, because of this.

2 lbs. of pressure does make a difference in a ball. If your dealing with cold temperatures or rain, being able to grip the ball better makes it easier to throw. Even more so an under inflated ball is easier to catch and is not likely to bounce off of your hands and in to the defenders hands. A running back that holds the ball with the tip in his palm and the ball firmly compressed to the forearm and ribs will have an easier time as well. I've got an NFL football that is always under inflated (because I rarely put air in it) and it is much easier to throw with some zip on it.

The Colts simply lost that game. However the Patriots took an unfair advantage, and they've done it before.

Imagine the trash talking that Seattle will be doing, because of this.

Nah, its a HUGE advantage bro. HUGE. Tighter spirals, faster passes, better accuracy, less fumbles. It can change a whole game. Its one of the reasons I didn't want McDaniels. That is what he was fired for. Cheating. I don't like football cheats on any level. Its unnecessary.

They should be disqualified for the SB, point blank.

Nah, its a HUGE advantage bro. HUGE. Tighter spirals, faster passes, better accuracy, less fumbles. It can change a whole game. Its one of the reasons I didn't want McDaniels. That is what he was fired for. Cheating. I don't like football cheats on any level. Its unnecessary.

They should be disqualified for the SB, point blank.

I agree... seriously. This is nuts. I mean anyone who has touched a football knows the difference between a lesser inflated ball and a fully inflated one. Worlds of difference. ESPECIALLY in cold weather. I can't see this as anything but an egregious breach of sportsmanship... definitely not deserving of a Super Bowl berth...

I agree... seriously. This is nuts. I mean anyone who has touched a football knows the difference between a lesser inflated ball and a fully inflated one. Worlds of difference. ESPECIALLY in cold weather. I can't see this as anything but an egregious breach of sportsmanship... definitely not deserving of a Super Bowl berth...

If a LB knows then a QB and WR definitely knows.

Too many excuses made for them.