The King Has Mocked - Quite Comprehensive

Guest King Jigsaw

Guest King Jigsaw
Front Office & Coaching

General Manager(s): Thomas Dimitroff & Scott Pioli

• Thomas Dimitroff made it into the offseason without getting axed - at least so far. While it does seem like the Falcons are willing to continue forward with Dimitroff at the helm, it does appear that his leash is seemingly getting a bit shorter and that will be a situation to monitor for the entire NFL.
Head Coach: Dan Quinn

• I will admit that while I wasn’t the conductor (I didn’t change my avatar or signature or anything..) for the Rex Ryan train, I very much was a passenger that was looking forward to the ride. Dan Quinn was my second choice and all signs seem to point to him packing his bags to head to Atlanta. Hello defense! Hello Super Bowl?
Offensive Coordinator: Kyle Shanahan

• Mixed feelings about losing Koetter and Tice have been displayed all over the board, but a Kyle Shanahan can be very beneficial to the Falcons. While we look to improve ourselves on the defensive side of the ball, a simplified West Coast attack could do wonders for us as well. A move to a zone blocking scheme could be in the works, while we’ll start getting the most of our RB’s (whoever those may be) and returning the play action passing that Matt Ryan excels at to prominence.
Defensive Coordinator: Kris Richard

• Dan Quinn made his bread early coaching the defensive line before working his way up to defensive coordinator and now head coach. With that kind of experience in trench warfare, it only makes sense that he brings along an aficionado of the secondary. Kris Richard is the secondary coach for the Seahawks who formerly played Cornerback at USC under Pete Carroll. Richard is widely credited with the playstyle of the Legion of Boom and will get a young talented group of corners to work with in Atlanta to try and recreate that success with the likes of Desmond Trufant, Robert Alford, and Ricardo Allen.

Returning Falcons

• Sean Weatherspoon, LB - Talented but brittle, a cautionary price tag coupled with incentives makes this a smart move.
  • Kroy Biermann, LB - Catches a lot of flack, but so did Nolan. Well-rounded and experienced and worth a look by Quinn.
  • Matt Bryant, K - As long as he’s still nailing at a high percentage, he deserves to be here.
  • Dwight Lowery, FS - Has really earned himself a contract with play that far exceeded expectations.
  • Gabe Carimi, OG/OT - Offensive line depth will always be needed, especially when it comes cheap.
  • Corey Peters, DT - Might have trouble finding a home elsewhere, Cox could ask to get him back. Versatile.

Free Agency

Brandon Graham, DE, Philadelphia

Height: 6’2” Weight: 265 lbs.

• The Falcons have a good bit of money to play with this year, and with several cuts to make to only increase that number it should be very apparent that the new coaches will come in swinging. Atlanta does not wish to be viewed as a rebuilding team and Quinn will want to hit the ground running in his first head-coaching gig. Signing a guy like Brandon Graham, who has the athleticism to be a pure rusher in our new defensive scheme, would be a great step towards reshaping the talent we have to field on Sundays. Graham has publicly embraced his role in the Eagles’ 3-4, but he’s also made it known that he feels his home is with his hand in the dirt and the Falcons would love to let him get back to his comfort zone where he can rack up some sucks as a key rusher.
Pernell McPhee, DE, Baltimore

Height: 6’3” Weight: 280 lbs.

• It should come as no surprise that we will address the defense early and often this offseason at every phase. After all, we need a lot of work and are undergoing a regime/scheme change. Unless you’ve been living under a rock in TATF or ABF the last few weeks, you will have undoubtedly seen Kayoh banging the Pernell McPhee drum. McPhee is an uber-talented player who lines up all over a defense and applies back-breaking pressure from any position. With the gap-shooting principles that we’re likely to focus on this offseason, adding a guy like McPhee would greatly bolster our flexibility on that side of the ball.
Jerrell Freeman, ILB, Indianapolis

Height: 6’0” Weight: 234 lbs.

• At the end of this mock, as with every mock that I do, you’ll see a projected depth chart that will explain some of these moves. With the things that Dan Quinn likes to do with his defenses, a true three-down middle linebacker is needed. If you look at the terms by which Pete Carroll wrote his defensive blueprint, you’ll see the language of a strong leader with experience who is smart enough to make all the calls as the target for his MLB. Jerrell Freeman has been that guy for the Colts the past couple of years after leaving the CFL and would be perfect for the lead role in the new defense I’m building.
Byron Maxwell, CB, Seattle

Height: 6’1” Weight: 207 lbs.

• Byron Maxwell has played good across from Richard Sherman but not good enough to earn CB1 money, so it makes sense that he would elect to stay within a familiar scheme where he can try to earn a larger contract not playing alongside such major names as Richard Sherman, Kam Chancellor, and Earn Thomas. A three year deal would get the young corner’s best years served in Atlanta and would fortify our corner position greatly heading into the draft.
Darius Heyward-Bey, WR, Oakland

Height: 62” Weight: 205 lbs.

• Coming out of Maryland, DHB was compared by some draft scouts to Roddy White (something about his speed and ‘questionable’ hands coming out of college, but would make NFL defenses think twice about single covering him). It only seems fitting that as Roddy reaches the twilight of his career that we sign a ‘mini-me’ version of him to add some much-needed depth to our receiving group. As it stands right now, if or when Julio goes down we have no one that serves as a proven threat to take the top off a defense so adding DHB makes a lot of sense.

Draft

(For the purposes of this mock, I’m going to use the head-scratching scenario proposed by Daniel Jeremiah.)

1. TB - Jameis Winston, QB, Florida State
  2. TEN - Randy Gregory, DE/OLB, Nebraska
  3. JAX - Dante Fowler Jr., DE/OLB, Florida
  4. OAK - Kevin White, WR, West Virginia
  5. WSH - Leonard Williams, DT/DE, USC
  6. NYJ - Marcus Mariota, QB, Oregon
  7. CHI - Shane Ray, DE/OLB, Mizzou

At this point the Falcons are on the clock with their favorite pass-rusher being selected one pick ahead of them for the second year in a row. With the misses of Khalil Mack in 2014 and now Shane Ray in 2015, the Falcons debate on taking the next best pass rusher on the board as no other need warrants a top 10 pick but the phone rings as soon as the Falcons clock begins to tick.

In a strange reversal of fortunes, the Cleveland Browns are calling the Falcons in a desperate attempt to move up for the privilege to draft the second wide receiver in the draft. While the Browns are only moving up from pick 12, the Falcons are still able to weasel a pair of third round picks (one this year and one in 2016) to move down so that the Browns can make their pick.

And with the 8th pick in the 2015 NFL Draft, the Cleveland Browns select Amari Cooper, WR, Alabama.

Round 1, Pick 12 - Vic Beasley, DE/OLB, Clemson

Height: 6’2” Weight: 235 lbs.

• What can I say about Vic Beasley that hasn’t already been vomited all over these boards for the last two years? He’s fast. He’s athletic. He likes to rush the passer and he’s really effin good at it. With Ray no longer available to us, Beasley becomes our ideal LEO prospect and to be able to add a third round pick and still grab him makes the Falcons a very happy team. Beasley has some size concerns, but his athleticism is off the charts and that will allow him to thrive in a wide stance that will allow him to use his speed and bend to enter the backfield before most tackles will be able to get a hold of him. Beasley is also surprising great against the run for a man his size, making him a worthy top-15 pick as well as a great fit for our building defense.
Round 2, Pick 42 - Bernardrick McKinney, ILB, Mississippi State

Height: 6’5” Weight: 249 lbs.

• Bernardrick McKinney would be the final piece to the puzzle that would be the Falcons improved linebacking group and would replace the two-down tackler Paul Worrilow, who finds himself completely out of place in the Dan Quinn way of life. McKinney is a sound tackler who can also drop back into coverage surprisingly well while also adding some interior passrushing ability. A do-it-all kind of player, McKinney would not be lost among the bigger names surrounding him and would actually help to elevate the play of his teammates with his ability to do whatever is needed for the unit to succeed. While a second-round pick should almost always be used on a starter, McKinney would technically be Freeman’s backup but would be allowed to rotate in and learn from one of the best in the game today.
Round 3, Pick 73 - Mike Davis, RB, South Carolina

Height: 5’9” Weight: 215 lbs.

• The news has broken that Shanahan is bringing his zone blocking scheme with him to Atlanta, and Atlanta already needed help in the backfield heading into the offseason. Mike Davis is that quick downhill runner that will thrive in this kind of offensive scheme, as he hits the hole quick and gets to the second level of the defense. A strong and powerful runner that consistently falls forward and fights for extra yards, Davis has a real burst that allows him to get yards in huge chunks though he won’t have the breakaway speed that someone like Melvin Gordon possesses. Davis will supplant Freeman as the top back early in camp, though both backs will get their usage in the newly revitalized run scheme we will employ in 2015 and beyond.
Round 3, Pick 77 - Sean Hickey, OG/OT, Syracuse

Height: 6’5” Weight: 308 lbs.

• Sean Hickey may not be the longest or the strongest tackle in the draft, but he may be the most durable (39 combined starts at left and right tackle). It is widely viewed that he will find a home at Guard at the next level, but his experience at tackle will make him an excellent lineman to carry on game days because of that versatility. Hickey is a very competent run blocker but has struggled with speed rushers at tackle because of his lack of length and limited athleticism. These setbacks won’t be an issue at Left Guard, where he will fill the hole left behind by Justin Blalock and fit right as home in the ZBS that requires positioning and technique over supreme strength and athleticism. This would be a very smart pick for the Falcons, and probably would prove to be the best when we look back ten years from now.
Round 4, Pick 104 - Jeff Heuerman, TE, Ohio State

Height: 6’5” Weight: 255 lbs.

• Jeff Heuerman is a guy I’ve been consistently featuring in my mocks, and his value is too much to ignore at this point. Jeff would be pushing to be a first round pick if only he were used more. A big-bodied athlete at the position (255 lbs, but only 6.9% body fat) who has been reportedly clocked at 4.68 in the 40, Heuerman is a willing and tough blocker both in the passing game and on run plays, both driving defenders off the ball and stonewalling passrushers. His hands are usually considered reliable, though he has had trouble bringing in some harder-thrown passes on occasion. This won’t be a problem with noodle-armed Ryan throwing to him though, right? Still, his body control and route running is impressive and he is also very good after the catch, always looking to maximize the gain on every play. If Ohio State showcased him more he’d likely be considered the undisputed number one tight end in the class (ahead of O’Leary, Walford, and hybrid Funchess) because of his well-rounded pro-ready skillset. For the Falcons he would be a Zack Ertz-type player who will provide Matt Ryan that reliable intermediate target that we’ve been missing, while also being able to skillfully perform every duty that a standard TE is asked to perform.
Round 5, Pick 138 - Jalston Fowler, FB, Alabama

Height: 6’1” Weight: 248 lbs.

• Another repeat pick, and you should probably get used to seeing this name if you haven’t already. Not since the days of Ovie Mughelli have Falcons fans been able to fully support their Fullback and say “This guy will truly make a difference.” Enter Jalston Fowler who has pro-ready fullback written all over him. A guy with soft hands but evil intentions, Fowler is just as likely to catch a pass coming out of the backfield as he is plowing open a hole for our improving RB group. The combination of Davis and Fowler would vastly improve our ability to run the ball, making our offense more dangerous than ever. Shanahan is the type of offensive mind that can really put this kid’s abilities to use, making him an excellent addition to the red and black.
Round 6, Pick 169 - Michael Dyer, RB, Louisville

Height: 5’9” Weight: 215 lbs.

• Remember Isaiah Crowell’s situation last year? Well here’s the 2015 version. As posted in DFA forum, Kyle Shanahan offenses have often featured multiple running backs so it shouldn’t come as a surprise to see a third pick used on the backfield as Shanahan and Quinn work to shape the roster in their liking. With Shanahan, snap counts are not seniority-based, as more often than not it seems that rookies are leading the team in carries, yards, and touchdowns. Michael Dyer and Cam Newton combined for 2,500 yards when they ran all over people at Auburn but character issues have bounced Dyer around the college world since then and now it’s time for him to go pro. Dyer is strong, a relentless rusher, and possess some of the best vision in the class to find holes and cutback lanes. It’s not often that he is brought down one-on-one which makes him a very worthy candidate to outplay his draft position in this offense. The interviews will be the biggest issue for Dyer in this process, and he will have to prove himself worth a draft pick or risk becoming an UDFA.
Round 7 , Pick 200 - Julian Wilson, CB, Oklahoma

Height: 6’2” Weight: 201 lbs.

• The Falcons are entering a slight revolving door at the cornerback position, and while the top positions seemed to be locked in there are a few opportunities for late-rounders and camp bodies to make an impression while trying to earn the fifth spot behind Trufant, Alford, Maxwell, and Allen. Julian Wilson is coming off a hand injury at the end of the season, but that shouldn’t stop him from being able to work out at the Oklahoma pro day. The biggest thing that will stand out to scouts is his size and length, which we know is coveted in the Seattle defensive style that should soon be popping up in the dirty dirty. Wilson also has some experience as both a receiver and a kick returner, which serves as testament enough to his athletic ability and ball skills.
Round 7, Pick 223 - Kasen Williams, WR, Washington

Height: 6’2” Weight: 211 lbs.

• Kasen Williams will not be on an NFL roster in 2015, but that doesn’t mean that he doesn’t have any business being a drafted player. A long lean frame that lends a lot of speed and strength, Williams also sports a pair of huge hands - all good things when looking at a receiver. With room to grow, some scouts are saying that Williams should be able to get up to around 225 without sacrificing any of his abilities, while also possessing the tools to develop into a special passcatcher in the mold of Dez Bryant. What will make him stand out in the early stages of his career though is his tenacity, competitiveness, and his willingness to do whatever is asked of him. There are few receivers in this draft that pose as a bigger blocking threat than Williams, who is very aggressive in his playstyle. With more consistent catching and a cutback of wasted movement (both of which will come with pro coaching that someone like Robiskie can offer) Williams could be a breakout candidate as soon as 2016 and could emerge as the true compliment to Julio Jones that we are starting to look for.

Offense

QB: Matt Ryan, Sean Renfree

RB: Mike Davis, Devonta Freeman, Michael Dyer

FB: Jalston Fowler

WR: Julio Jones, Harry Douglas, Devin Hester

WR: Roddy White, Darius Heyward-Bey, Bernard Reedy

TE: Jeff Heuerman, Levine Toilolo

LT: Jake Matthews, Lamar Holmes

LG: Sean Hickey, Harland Gunn

C: Joe Hawley, James Stone

RG: Jon Asamoah, Gabe Carimi

RT: Ryan Schraeder, Reid Fragel

Defense

DE: Pernell McPhee, Tyson Jackson

NT: Paul Soliai, Corey Peters

DT: RaShede Hageman, Jonathan Babineaux, Malliciah Goodman

LEO: Brandon Graham, Vic Beasley, Jonathan Massaquoi

SLB: Kroy Biermann, Prince Shembo

MLB: Jerrell Freeman, Bernardrick McKinney

WLB: Sean Weatherspoon, Joplo Bartu, Marcus Spruill

CB: Desmond Trufant, Ricardo Allen, Julian Wilson

FS: Dwight Lowery, Dezmen Southward

SS: William Moore, Kemal Ishmael

CB: Byron Maxwell, Robert Alford

Special Teams

K: Matt Bryant

P: Matt Bosher

LS: Josh Harris

Guest King Jigsaw

And before anything else is said, I just want to send out a special thanks to Kayoh for his help in putting together this mock. He truly understands his stuff and has really helped me to learn some things regarding our new schemes that are being employed in this mock. I hope he approves of what I've done using his teachings.

Thanks again, brother.

On the rbs I want to roast you, but you picked Davis who I love...not a bad idea to pick Dyer either, as Quizz is probably a goner, and a late round risk/reward pick is never bad. I love the first two picks. I'll repeat the same thing I've said from day one..don't be surprised if McKinney sneaks in first round..I'd just slot Dawson in that pick if that happened.

Hickey is a great pick..I think I got Harrison in my mock. But a mid round guy that either could unseat blalock this year or the next is not a bad strategy. I think his place is LG.

Overall great mock and well thought out.

I do hate Brandon Graham though lol but that's my personal preference...

Its been reported up here in Seattle that Kris Richards is the heir apparent to Quinn's DC position when he leaves. So you might have to settle for someone else as DC realistically.

Jerell Freeman is a RFA and will likely get tagged with a draft pick clause.

Just let Heyward Bay retire, if he can't put it together with Luck and Roethlisberger, what makes him any good here. Just no.

Everything else is pretty good, nicely done :)

I love everything about this mock save for two little things. First off is the trade. I'm not a fan of mocks that simulate trade downs. Not because I don't want it to happen, but because given our current front office's history, it's INCREDIBLY unlikely to happen, and there's almost literally ZERO precedent for it.

The other thing I'm not a fan of is the fact that you spent a 3rd round pick on a RB. We have Freeman. We're almost definitely re-signing either Smith or Quizz, if not both. We're transitioning into a Shanahan ZBS. If we didn't need to invest early in a RB before, we DEFINITELY don't need to now.

Honestly, if you'd take away the trade back and just restructure it so that the 3rd rd pick we got from the trade back goes away with the Mike Davis pick, this would be a perfect mock imo.

This is just my opinion

Just No to Bierman and Carimi move on!!

I like the Mcphee signing but don't care for the Graham signing, Freeman is a RFA, and Bey just sucks!!

Don't like trades in Mock's

I like the Hickey pick, and would love to get Beasley at 8, but you have him sitting behind Graham, no way Mckinney will be there at our 2nd.

why are you drafting a 3rd RB only to say he won't be playing!!

You've done much better mocks

I think Graham could play the LEO role. Just rush him more with his hand in the ground.

McPhee could be the Falcons Michael Bennett.

Wouldn't mind having Beasley at SLB(I think he would be a monster coming off the edge from that position) with McKinney at MLB and Spoon at WLB.

I would love for Quinn to bring the NASCAR nickel package to the Falcons.

Beasley, Mass(or someone else), McPhee, and Graham would be a nasty front 4 in a NASCAR nickel package.

Guest King Jigsaw

Awesome draft! My only issue would be selecting Mckinney in the 2nd to be a backup. Love the Hickey pick.

This problem is lacking serious starting power and depth. We can't go into this season trying to make a scheme work that only the starters legitimately fit in. Getting starters in FA and drafting players that could also start is not only smart, but mandatory. What happens if we try to use a LEO with only one guy that actually play the position and he gets hurt? We'd be screwed.

This is just my opinion

Just No to Bierman and Carimi move on!!

I like the Mcphee signing but don't care for the Graham signing, Freeman is a RFA, and Bey just sucks!!

Don't like trades in Mock's

I like the Hickey pick, and would love to get Beasley at 8, but you have him sitting behind Graham, no way Mckinney will be there at our 2nd.

why are you drafting a 3rd RB only to say he won't be playing!!

You've done much better mocks

Neither Biermann nor Carimi will cost a lot money and both have fits on the roster, so what's the issue with singing them?

To each their own on the FA signings, just trying to address needs with players that fit.

Who said the players I drafted wouldn't be playing? The depth chart is just listing the players we would have at each position. Everyone's going to get snaps - especially the running backs.

Sorry to disappoint you. Maybe you'll like the next one more.

Guest King Jigsaw

Very nice. My only gripe to add is bringing back Biermann. I just don't see any point of the move if you're also signing Graham and McPhee and drafting Beasley.

Should add that signing Graham, McPhee, and Maxwell would be my exact plan of attack as well. Love all those signings.

As Kayoh has explained beautifully a few times before, Biermann is an ideal fit as a Sam in this new scheme. His versatility, ability to cover tight ends, and intelligence make him a worthwhile starter that could really thrive at the position. I'm not ready to hand the reigns over to Shembo. It makes no sense to complain about Biermann because of signing Graham, McPhee, and Beasley as they all play different positions than Biermann. Graham and Beasley would be the LEO's (while Beasley could see some snaps at Sam as well) while McPhee would play base end.

I'd keep Osi over Kroy but would rather Part ways with both. Like others not a fan of the graham signing. It's past time we splurged on a defensive stud. If houston, Suh or hardy (assuming he beats his case) hit the market we have to sign one if them. Nobody is gonna fear graham

Isn't Osi retiring? I don't see him as a fit here anymore and would rather he try to latch on elsewhere. Graham has been productive in limited snaps despite playing out of position. It's time someone gives him a chance to shine. He could be the next defensive stud but without the 'splurge' needed. Houston won't hit. Suh will be incredibly expensive for a position we have Hageman to play anyway. Hardy may not play another down in the NFL, and I doubt the 'Filter' will allow him here anyway.

The LEO is a 4-3 variation.

Right, seems like people keep referring to drafting guys like Fowler as a OLB...

Wouldn't he play end in Quinn's scheme?

Doesn't end become critical draft need? Jackson and Hageman are too big so really the only person we have is Goodman if we let bierman and osi go.