Falcons Messed Up Badly In The Coaching Search

It dawned on me last night that the Falcons have taken a major step back this offseason. Hiring Quinn and Shanahan will be a downgrade in all likelihood. Neither guy has proven anything relevant to them being able to help our team.

Quinn is able to manage the most talented defense in the league. That won't help him here. We'll need a total talent overhaul, and Quinn had absolutely nothing to do with finding the awesome diamonds in the rough that Seattle has all over its defense. Quinn's vanilla scheme (basically just running Carrol's defense) otherwise will not work here.

Shanahan has yet to field a competent offense in my opinion. He's bounced around the league with lots of hype and no real production. He wants to go to zone blocking, but we don't have the players for that. Plus, last time we were a zone blocking team we couldn't pass block for ****. Matt Ryan is ONLY productive with excellent pass protection. Zone blocking teams are generally better at run blocking than pass blocking.

Don't forget that this is the same front office that fired Dan Reeves to hire Mora Jr., and then fired him to hire Coach Petrino. We have more misses than hits at the HC position. That's why I think we really messed up by not just bringing Rex Ryan in here. With Rex, at least you knew what you're getting, but with Quinn and Shanahan you just don't.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Im thinking waffles for breakfast

It's a good day for waffles.

I didn't realize I had some in the freezer until I had already had my bowl of cereal.

Dayum!

It dawned on me last night that the Falcons have taken a major step back this offseason. Hiring Quinn and Shanahan will be a downgrade in all likelihood. Neither guy has proven anything relevant to them being able to help our team.

Quinn is able to manage the most talented defense in the league. That won't help him here. We'll need a total talent overhaul, and Quinn had absolutely nothing to do with finding the awesome diamonds in the rough that Seattle has all over its defense. Quinn's vanilla scheme (basically just running Carrol's defense) otherwise will not work here.

Shanahan has yet to field a competent offense in my opinion. He's bounced around the league with lots of hype and no real production. He wants to go to zone blocking, but we don't have the players for that. Plus, last time we were a zone blocking team we couldn't pass block for ****. Matt Ryan is ONLY productive with excellent pass protection. Zone blocking teams are generally better at run blocking than pass blocking.

Don't forget that this is the same front office that fired Dan Reeves to hire Mora Jr., and then fired him to hire Coach Petrino. We have more misses than hits at the HC position. That's why I think we really messed up by not just bringing Rex Ryan in here. With Rex, at least you knew what you're getting, but with Quinn and Shanahan you just don't.

I'll be positive and give it a chance but I'm pretty skeptical as well.

Guest facelessman07

Taking a step back this offseason would've been contingent on retaining Smitty, and that did not happen

I could walk into Victoria's Secret, grab the hottest chick and put a headset on her, and our team would still do better this year than last

I can understand being wary of any changes the Falcons might make, given their history, but to already claim that Quinn is going to be a failure before he has even been hired is nihilistic defeatism.

We needed experience not hopes and dreams with nothing to base those hopes and dreams on...show me proof Quinn is nothing more than a manager of a product he didn't create and an offense that Shanahan fielded that was better than our current offensive production.

Guest facelessman07

We needed experience not hopes and dreams with nothing to base those hopes and dreams on...show me proof Quinn is nothing more than a manager of a product he didn't create and an offense that Shanahan fielded that was better than our current offensive production.

Watch the 2015 season

Rex would have been about ego and instant results. Quinn is about long term progress and carrying over the consistency what Mike Smith was able to bring. It's going to take time though for Quinn to get his guys in and rebuild this defense. Thing is we are in prime years of Ryan and Julio and now a rebuilt defense. Rex would have given Falcons best chance for instant gratification and best chance to get to Super Bowl quickly . Quinn gives us best chance for long term success and possible Super Bowl down road

Forget the Rex Ryan thing. I fear there will just be a new train of excuses(although not really new) for why the defense doesn't improve. Talent/TD blah blah blah. We'll see if Quinn really can coach players up since that is what has been shoved in everyone's face since the lobbying for him began. Some of the people making predictions for him are the same people that have made some horrible predictions here in the past. They're also some of the last to jump off of the Mike Smith bandwagon.

We'll see.

That's how I feel about it.This will be the 4th straight hire based on hopes and dreams instead of experience.

I just don't understand why some feel that Rex Ryan was the answer to our problems. Sure he's been a HC and has pretty much always had a good defense but that doesn't make him the best fit for our team. No matter who our next HC is, they'll have to prove themselves regardless of their previous position. Right now it looks as if Dan Quinn will be our next HC, who is probably the best candidate at this point. Three years or so from now we'll even be saying he was a great hirer or there will be some of us saying I told you he wasn't the right guy but that goes for who ever would've gotten the job. The FO has made their decision as fans we have to live it but not like it but at least give the guy a chance to before we deem him a failure.

I feel the hiring of Quinn is awesome...... the hiring of Shanahan is amazing can you name one time the falcons had some legitimate coaches on board..... this is our year to turn everything from these last two seasons and start fresh no dwelling in the past let it be its time to be optimistic cause these will be our coaches heading into the future and at the new stadium..... this is coming from a die hard

No, the Falcons needed a defensive-oriented head coach who listens to his players and puts them in the best position for them to succeed.

It looks like that's exactly what they're going to get in Dan Quinn.

The last thing the Falcons needed was a retread.

First off, it's way too early to say they messed up badly. The HC hasn't even been hired yet so to say it isn't going to work is simply opinion.

Second, we had the worst defense in the league last year and were one of the worst ten teams in the NFL. It is highly unlikely that we get any worse.

Shanahan has fielded several offenses that were more than competent, and he hasn't worked with a QB as good as Ryan. I think his qualifications far exceed those of Koetter at the time Koetter was hired. Very unlikely he would be a downgrade.

Quinn is a bit of a question mark, but it's hard for me to see him being any less effective coaching the team than Mike Smith has been in the last two years. So I think it is kind of silly to say he is a downgrade in all likelihood.

Mike Smith as a very good head coach but he lost the team. It happens.