Quinn Wanted Mike Smith In Ny

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/48672/weekly-mailbag-did-jets-err-by-not-waiting-for-dan-quinn

"Quinn was targeting Kyle Shanahan and Mike Smith as his coordinators, and there's no guarantee they'd still be available when Quinn was eligible to be hired."

I want Teryl Austin. Until it's 100% official, I will be hoping for it.

It makes sense for Quinn being a first time HC to want HC experience to lean on as one of his coordinators. Being a HC is more than just X and O. How to keep the locker room in balance or how to prepare your team are just as important if not more. Smith is highly respected in the coaching circle. You don't get voted as sporting news coach of the years 3 times(2008, 2010, and 2012) by your peers without being respected.

Yeah, no way Smith was taking the D-coordinator job here. Not because he hates Atlanta or because Blank wouldn't hire him. I genuinely think firing Mike was hard for Blank.

But him coming here effectively fires Nolan and he hired the guy. Also, I think Smith fell out of love with being a head coach. He's not going to come back to the team that fired him.

Yeah, no way Smith was taking the D-coordinator job here. Not because he hates Atlanta or because Blank wouldn't hire him. I genuinely think firing Mike was hard for Blank.

But him coming here effectively fires Nolan and he hired the guy. Also, I think Smith fell out of love with being a head coach. He's not going to come back to the team that fired him.

Yeah, but that's pretty much the tip of the iceberg why Smitty will not be back. It makes no sense on all sides, not to mention the PR nightmare of the media and fans going all TATF on their as$es.

Clearly Quinn knew that going to Atlanta meant that Smitty wasn't coming too.

Edited by B3TD