A Shanahan Falcons Offense, Zbs-Style

http://www.thefalcoholic.com/2015/1/19/7816207/atlanta-falcons-hire-kyle-shanahan-offensive-coordinator-zone-blocking-scheme

Pretty good read here on Kyle's ZBS scheme and how it can quickly work on the Falcons and showing results in the past with 30-something year old RBs. Not saying we should keep S-Jax, but seemingly the others aren't the kind of fit for this system.

I do find some of this article a bit entertaining calling Konz a "Power Blocker" that probably wouldn't fit the scheme as most of us know he wouldn't fit any scheme so it seems.

We all know we haven't had any decent running game since the first couple of years when we had Turner blasting his way through the lines and it really gave Ryan a lot of play-action ability that he seemed to do well with. Getting a productive running game on this team should be priority number 2 (behind getting the defense straightened out). Not much mentioned about TE here but we know that's got to be dealt with as well.

Amazing, just this morning I was talking on here about all the late round RB draft picks who excelled under Shanahans father in Denver under the ZBS.

I think Freeman could beast in the ZBS. He's got outstanding vision and is exceptionally decisive and explosive when he finds the hole. I think he would be better than Warrick Dunn was in it.

Nice read.

Anyone have any idea how a big power-run guard like Mike Iupati would work in Shanahan's ZBS? He was on my FA wishlist before Shanahan as OC became official but now I'm curious as to whether he'd fit in with what Shanahan is going to do. You know since the mantra is "smaller athletic linemen" and Iupati's bread and butter is as a big pulling guard in a power-run scheme.

Any opinions?

Edited by CTann

Amazing, just this morning I was talking on here about all the late round RB draft picks who excelled under Shanahans father in Denver under the ZBS.

I think Freeman could beast in the ZBS. He's got outstanding vision and is exceptionally decisive and explosive when he finds the hole. I think he would be better than Warrick Dunn was in it.

I like to think so too. He did show some good vision and found a few holes that unfortunately closed down on him pretty quickly given the 'talent' on the power scheme that was run. I'd like to think that Smith would be a pretty RB in this system too but still think we do need to get a couple of extras, maybe an FA with experience in the ZBS system and draft a decent RB that can provide good depth. But Dunn was good in it, except for those plays that blew up and he ended up in the fetal position...

Nice read.

Anyone have any idea how a big power-run guard like Mike Iupati would work in Shanahan's ZBS? He was on my FA wishlist before Shanahan as OC became official but now I'm curious as to whether he'd fit in with what Shanahan is going to do. You know since the mantra is "smaller athletic linemen" and Iupati's bread and butter is as a big pulling guard in a power-run scheme.

Any opinions?

I still like the big, bad 'power' guys who can pull double duty when it comes down to it. Making defenses guess which scheme we're going to run could pay huge dividends with huge guys!

The zone blocking will be great for the young RBs we have and the ones we're going to draft. One thing I noticed during the last couple of years is that our RBs rarely cut back to a different hole. I believe they were told to hit the designed hole exclusively. Freeman should flourish around this system.

The zone blocking will be great for the young RBs we have and the ones we're going to draft. One thing I noticed during the last couple of years is that our RBs rarely cut back to a different hole. I believe they were told to hit the designed hole exclusively. Freeman should flourish around this system.

I'm pretty sure we've been a one hit hole since Smitty came on board. Having a powerful back like Turner made hitting those types of holes easier to play that simplified scheme but as the 'power' on the line kind of went away, it turned into a 'let's throw it' game. In ZBS, you have to have a RB with a good eye, sometimes patience and a very quick burst to the gaps/holes that can come open. I think Freeman has the tools to make it work but we will need more depth.

It just keeps cracking me up how everybody is realizing how much talent we have and just how poorly it all was being used.

Too busy trying to be a man blocking, power run team with ZBS fit OL and an old and slow RB. Imagine Antone in a ZBS scheme.

It just keeps cracking me up how everybody is realizing how much talent we have and just how poorly it all was being used.

Too busy trying to be a man blocking, power run team with ZBS fit OL and an old and slow RB. Imagine Antone in a ZBS scheme.

Its like we spoke of two years ago. It really depends on what you are trying to accomplish. I have always been told, it depends on who the HC was. The most important position on a football team.

Its like we spoke of two years ago. It really depends on what you are trying to accomplish. I have always been told, it depends on who the HC was. The most important position on a football team.

THE most important. But it's hard to realize because it's not quantifiable outside of the record, and even then it's not the full story.

It takes understanding football to see the worth of a good coach most times. It will be fun to finally see defensive players developed, a scheme that makes sense, and players that fit that scheme and are played where they fit in the scheme.

Spent a little time visiting competitor's boards tonight (Saints and Panties). Although some posts were kind of positive about the Shanahan hiring, most say that we don't have the talent needed to pull it off. Not to mention the descriptions given to almost all of the defense and the miracle it would take to turn that around. Naturally, most on both boards seem to agree that they'll "Own" us next year. This alone makes me hope that these guys get here and get what is needed to get the job done and shut those cocky fans up!

THE most important. But it's hard to realize because it's not quantifiable outside of the record, and even then it's not the full story.

It takes understanding football to see the worth of a good coach most times. It will be fun to finally see defensive players developed, a scheme that makes sense, and players that fit that scheme and are played where they fit in the scheme.

You really can't look at a record. Its not even all X's and O's. Its a lot of different things. He's your teacher, your boss, the guy who gets it all going. The guy has to hate losing with a passion and have the ability to lead players, his GM, his assistants. YES!!! I said his GM. the GM has to be able to work with the coach and the best coaches can even have the gall to tell a GM what he needs and give honest player evals.

More than that, a coach has to be able to RUN the whole team. He's the true face of the franchise...

Spent a little time visiting competitor's boards tonight (Saints and Panties). Although some posts were kind of positive about the Shanahan hiring, most say that we don't have the talent needed to pull it off. Not to mention the descriptions given to almost all of the defense and the miracle it would take to turn that around. Naturally, most on both boards seem to agree that they'll "Own" us next year. This alone makes me hope that these guys get here and get what is needed to get the job done and shut those cocky fans up!

We need a RB, TE, and WR on offense. We need a pass rusher, LB, and a DB on defense. We have 7 picks as of now and the possibility to get two splash FA's and two need FA's and still have $$$ left over. Too soon for them to talk smack.

OL is decent in the ZBS.

Been saying this since 2010. During that packer's playoff game I realized that smitty wasn't going to take us any farther than he already had. Other than discipline and respectability, Smitty didn't bring anything to this team. When we were losing to teams we never adjusted and sometimes even played scared to attack.

I've also been saying that TD isn't as bad as people here like to make him seem. It's Smitty's confused schemes and lack of player development that's caused most problems with personnel. I believe we're about to see a different team this year.

I won't take their stock on anything. Only a knowledgable Falcons fan would know the players and their skill set unlike media heads and fans from other teams.

They were saying the same during the 08 offseason.

You really can't look at a record. Its not even all X's and O's. Its a lot of different things. He's your teacher, your boss, the guy who gets it all going. The guy has to hate losing with a passion and have the ability to lead players, his GM, his assistants. YES!!! I said his GM. the GM has to be able to work with the coach and the best coaches can even have the gall to tell a GM what he needs and give honest player evals.

More than that, a coach has to be able to RUN the whole team. He's the true face of the franchise...

We need a RB, TE, and WR on offense. We need a pass rusher, LB, and a DB on defense. We have 7 picks as of now and the possibility to get two splash FA's and two need FA's and still have $$$ left over. Too soon for them to talk smack.

OL is decent in the ZBS.

I agree KOG. I think we're in much better shape than many give us credit for. Most of those defensive needs are available in FA and maybe pull in another top need there with our first pick. As for the offense, I think that #2 pick should be the best TE available and take those other two in the third-fifth rounds. Let 'em talk their smack for now and wonder what in the h-e-double hockey sticks happened next year.

Man the bold is exactly why I went cold on Smitty back in 2011. The man didn't hate losing with a passion. He feared it. There is a difference. Never saw him as a strong leader after 2009 either. More like a manager. Having played, I would have walked all over a guy like Smitty because he was too nice and buddy buddy. Just find a way to get in his favorites group and you're good.

Fully agree on the GM tip too. HC has to see the talent too. GMs are nothing but hired hitmen when it comes to getting talent. You listen to the HC and do what you're told. But when your HC has no clue what he needs, you have no direction. But your HC also has to know how to develop talent and use the talent correctly. Can't be so naive to think a 6'7 OT can play guard effectively. Can't find the best use for a player with 4.35 speed is to be a gunner on the punt team. Can't be so jaded by contracts or seniority of players to ignore their bad play because you fear mistakes from younger players.

Been saying this since 2010. During that packer's playoff game I realized that smitty wasn't going to take us any farther than he already had. Other than discipline and respectability, Smitty didn't bring anything to this team. When we were losing to teams we never adjusted and sometimes even played scared to attack.

I've also been saying that TD isn't as bad as people here like to make him seem. It's Smitty's confused schemes and lack of player development that's caused most problems with personnel. I believe we're about to see a different team this year.

Anything! And most people here thought I was being irrational every time I said it but couldn't give me anything other than "We are the least penalized team under Smitty".

The team will be different. GMs draft on potential. Can't reach that potential without development. How many players did we draft that were as good as they were in their last year of college as they were years into their NFL career? Think about if TD drafted Sherman. Smitty would have seen an ex-WR that has played CB only one year. Sherman would have been a ST player here, no matter how much he flashed in PS and TC.

I actually thought we had something in 2012. The offense was getting it done, the defense just barely and then the playoffs hit and we had no defense. That 'missed call' on Roddy hurt against the Niners should have never got to that point. That game by any decent defensive standards, should've been over with at halftime.

I agree KOG. I think we're in much better shape than many give us credit for. Most of those defensive needs are available in FA and maybe pull in another top need there with our first pick. As for the offense, I think that #2 pick should be the best TE available and take those other two in the third-fifth rounds. Let 'em talk their smack for now and wonder what in the h-e-double hockey sticks happened next year.

Man the bold is exactly why I went cold on Smitty back in 2011. The man didn't hate losing with a passion. He feared it. There is a difference. Never saw him as a strong leader after 2009 either. More like a manager. Having played, I would have walked all over a guy like Smitty because he was too nice and buddy buddy. Just find a way to get in his favorites group and you're good.

Fully agree on the GM tip too. HC has to see the talent too. GMs are nothing but hired hitmen when it comes to getting talent. You listen to the HC and do what you're told. But when your HC has no clue what he needs, you have no direction. But your HC also has to know how to develop talent and use the talent correctly. Can't be so naive to think a 6'7 OT can play guard effectively. Can't find the best use for a player with 4.35 speed is to be a gunner on the punt team. Can't be so jaded by contracts or seniority of players to ignore their bad play because you fear mistakes from younger players.

My dudes. If we look at FA and draft the way we are MEANT to. We can fix everything this year and go on a run. So much depth and talent. I can drum up some depth on UDFA no problem this year. I think we have a great combo in Quinn and Shanahan. I think Quinn makes me a liar on TD and Pioli will listen. He always has, just dude is paranoid.

Vel, everything you said is 100% spot on.

Agree, and think Quizz could be a good back up for him. They're actually pretty similar RB's IMO I just think Quizz might be a bit more elusive and Freeman might be a bit faster. Antone might be fine too if he's still here next year.

My dudes. If we look at FA and draft the way we are MEANT to. We can fix everything this year and go on a run. So much depth and talent. I can drum up some depth on UDFA no problem this year. I think we have a great combo in Quinn and Shanahan. I think Quinn makes me a liar on TD and Pioli will listen. He always has, just dude is paranoid.

Vel, everything you said is 100% spot on.

Truly. I think we fix majority of it this year and finish off the offense next year. Prime position to turn this around fast, barring injury again.

I'm excited about TD and Pioli working with Quinn and Shanahan. I think TD and Pioli can be an All Star pair, given Pioli's strength being TD's "weakness". But, Quinn and Shanahan both have schemes they know and know what they will need, making it easy for TD and Pioli.

Shanahan has more of a cupboard, so Quinn gets dibs, but even he doesn't need much. Just some true pass rushers and a LB or two. The only thing I hope happens is we put Hageman at the 3T more than the 5T in this under front. That man could wreak havoc there if they let him. Simplify his responsibilities and let him just lash out.