Atlanta Hawks - Mid Season Report

FalconFanSince1970

Well folks 41 games are in the books and who'd a thunk it? Look at our Atlanta Hawks:

-33-8 record

-1st in the Southeast Division

-1st in the Eastern Conference

-2nd in the NBA (only 1/2 game behind Golden State)

-1st in 3pt FG%

-1st in fewest personal fouls committed

-1st in percentage of FGs made on assists

-1st in points allowed

-2nd in assists per game

-2nd in point differential

-3rd in opponents FTs made

-3rd in opponents FTs attempted

-4th in FG%

-5th in 3pt FGs made

-5th in opponents FGs made

-5th in opponents FG%

-6th in steals

-6th in points scored

-7th in opponents 3pt FG%

-8th in turnovers forced

-9th in 3pt FG attempts

-9th in FT%

-9th in fewest steals by opponents

-10th in personal fouls drawn

They currently are on a 12 game winning streak and are 28-3 in their last 31 games. That also includes a 12 game road winning streak. They are 10-2 against western conference teams and have a nine game winning streak against the west. Everybody knew they could pass and shoot but not many expected them to lead the league in defense. They are getting it done with team ball. Eight different players have been the high scorer. About the only thing they could improve on is rebounding and blocking shots. If they stay healthy they could make some noise in the post season. They tip off the second half of the season in about five minutes against a hot Piston team. Let's go Hawks!

Hawks had a rough game and still won by eight. It is an 82 game season and you cannot be your best every game - sometimes success is winning when you are not at your best. Hawks have not been at their best @ Chi and home vs Det. but we won them both.

nice!

Hawks had a rough game and still won by eight. It is an 82 game season and you cannot be your best every game - sometimes success is winning when you are not at your best. Hawks have not been at their best @ Chi and home vs Det. but we won them both.

nice!

Yea man, Teague was awful today and it seemed like we did not get an O board till the 4th, but still win....bad teams can not get away with chit like that....

nice!

Excellent point Dawg. Not to mention they have beat all of the good teams and blown half of em out. How bout resting starters against scrub teams and still wiping em? This could be a good year bro.

Good to see you and Free over here in Hawk Central. Yall boys are like me. Love all teams Georgia. Except I like both UGA and Tech. Something I'm sure you struggle with. Go Hawks.

Excellent point Dawg. Not to mention they have beat all of the good teams and blown half of em out. How bout resting starters against scrub teams and still wiping em? This could be a good year bro.

Good to see you and Free over here in Hawk Central. Yall boys are like me. Love all teams Georgia. Except I like both UGA and Tech. Something I'm sure you struggle with. Go Hawks.

UGA was #1 with me, but got love for Tech too ....as a pup used to ride Marta to the Varsity, pig out and scalp a ticket to the Tech games ....good times....

One thing y'all got to realize about this team think Nique/Rathbun said it, but Bud doesn't want them going after OREB's because he wants them in transition defense almost instantly. Which is what helps us create the Turnovers.

One thing y'all got to realize about this team think Nique/Rathbun said it, but Bud doesn't want them going after OREB's because he wants them in transition defense almost instantly. Which is what helps us create the Turnovers.

Transition defense didn't have much to do with the as beatin Monroe and Drummond put on em today. Cleaning up boards and stickin the ball in the hole while we were trying to defend on their end of the court. To me that is the only type of player we're missing.

I just hope they carry this into playoffs in a few months. No reason why this team can't make it to at least the Eastern conference finals. I hope this is the start of something great. Like how the Spurs started producing back in the late 90s. Congrats Hawks on the first half of the season!

We have a good shot in the playoffs.

We beat good teams on the road, we are not dependent on a single super star, our defense is smart and tough to scheme against, our offense can spark at nearly any time, we have a ton of confidence, we have played really well in long back to back game stretches. Thier is nothing fluky or smoke and mirrors about this team that would be exposed in a playoff series.

I'd be hard pressed to think of any single team that could beat us 4 out of 7 games.

Edited by MAD597

nice!

Defense. That's where it all starts.

We talk about our Top 4 guys/5 Teague/Korver/Carroll/Millsap/Horford, but we need to stop forgetting our bench guys.

When all else fails like yesterday Korver/Teague never got it going, but along came this guy name Mike Scott out of nowhere.

Same with that 2nd Cleveland game out of nowhere here comes Shelvin Mack at random, and sooner or later other people same thing like even Pero has had a few Hero games as I'll call it for now.

These guys all 13/14 that we do play I know the 15th guy is in D-league(Jenkins), but these guys all of them can kill you any night.

While James Harden gets his 40 buckets what about the other guys? We get like 3 players each night that happen to step up and kill them for 60 pts a piece vs. James Harden one man show. Just using him as an example why I love this brand of basketball far more now then I did say a few years ago.

We talk about our Top 4 guys/5 Teague/Korver/Carroll/Millsap/Horford, but we need to stop forgetting our bench guys.

When all else fails like yesterday Korver/Teague never got it going, but along came this guy name Mike Scott out of nowhere.

Same with that 2nd Cleveland game out of nowhere here comes Shelvin Mack at random, and sooner or later other people same thing like even Pero has had a few Hero games as I'll call it for now.

These guys all 13/14 that we do play I know the 15th guy is in D-league(Jenkins), but these guys all of them can kill you any night.

While James Harden gets his 40 buckets what about the other guys? We get like 3 players each night that happen to step up and kill them for 60 pts a piece vs. James Harden one man show. Just using him as an example why I love this brand of basketball far more now then I did say a few years ago.

Good points. And to think that Jenkins, Payne and Tavares can't even scratch the active list is encouraging. Ferry stepped on his weenie with his African comments, but before he got shut down he assembled one helluva roster. When he added guys like Bazemore, Sefalosha and Carroll I was like WTF? Now I get it. Find players that can shoot, run, handle and play defense and together they will beat az as a team. Still not a fan of Pero and would like to see someone like a Greg Monroe type player knock him off the roster because we need a defensive rebounder that can block shots and wreak havoc inside. Maybe Payne or Tavares can. Good job Danny! Dimi should be taking notes.

Pero makes $1.2m ($1.5m next season), while Monroe could very well be offered a max contract. He's not remotely close to a prolific shot blocker, so not sure why you would use his name as a contender for that area. He doesn't really provide anything we don't already get out of Horford or Millsap, who are both much better players.

Tavares on the other hand is an interesting prospect. Hard to find guys with his type of size (7'2, 7'9 wingspan), but remains to be seen if he will ever amount to anything after he leaves Spain.

All Monroe brings is size. His midrange game is lacking, and we may as well not even talk about his perimeter shooting. Until he develops those he's useless in Budenholzer's system. Monroe can't play in space. Against the Pistons we were outrebounded by 20 and still won because we have big men that can hit midrange shots consistently.

Not necessarily Monroe but a Monroe type player. By that I mean a guy that can clean up the defensive boards. We don't have that now. Our best rebounder is probably Milsap and he is undersized. I'm talking about a guy that can cut down on our opponents getting a ton of offensive rebounds. We're like 21st in offensive rebounds allowed right now. That's gonna hurt us eventually. I heard coach Bud in a recent post game interview saying it's the number one thing we need to get better at. The last decent defensive rebounder we had was probably ZaZa. Guy doesn't have to be a prolific scorer or three point shooter. Just a rebounder that can play defense. If he can shoot, pass or run that's just a bonus.

Not necessarily Monroe but a Monroe type player. By that I mean a guy that can clean up the defensive boards. We don't have that now. Our best rebounder is probably Milsap and he is undersized. I'm talking about a guy that can cut down on our opponents getting a ton of offensive rebounds. We're like 21st in offensive rebounds allowed right now. That's gonna hurt us eventually. I heard coach Bud in a recent post game interview saying it's the number one thing we need to get better at. The last decent defensive rebounder we had was probably ZaZa. Guy doesn't have to be a prolific scorer or three point shooter. Just a rebounder that can play defense. If he can shoot, pass or run that's just a bonus.

As Bud pointed out he prefers that the players get back and set the defense than worrying about getting an offensive rebound. You look for offensive rebounds you can easily get beat in transition.

My concern is about the Hawks giving up offensive rebounds to teams, They have got to take care of that issue by having the guards help more.