Quinn + Shanahan: What I Like Best

JDaveG

I think both hires represent the fastest path to getting this team turned around. I was in favor of Rex Ryan, then Bowles, but the more I look at what we're getting, the more I'm convinced this is the right play to get us back in the hunt fast.

Quinn's system will require fewer pieces to get up and running. We have most of what he needs for the d-line. We're missing a LEO, and we need youth behind our starters at the other 3 positions. We need LBers, but we'd need 4 of them to run a 3-4 effectively. Now we need 2, and they don't have to be world beaters. CB depth and safety help, and the defense is on point.

Offensively, Shanahan can make use of the o-linemen and RBs we have now. He really only needs a mid-round mauler at RB and a good TE, and maybe another piece or two on the o-line. Again, role players, not necessarily world beaters. And his system is picture perfect for our QB. Shanahan has never had a QB like Matt Ryan, and Matt ran a WCO in college so the concepts will be very familiar to him. Plus Shanahan is an innovator who will play to the strengths of his players. In Washington, that meant a lot of pistol and read option looks. Here, it will mean more shotgun and no huddle. But the base system is perfect for our personnel.

With these two, we can turn it around in one off-season and be back in the playoff hunt. Two seasons and we should be in the discussion to go deep in the playoffs. I'm on board with this.

Same here. Couldnt be much happier with our situation. Shanny is far and away the best offensive mind we've had in a while and I think quinn will run whatever D fits our personnel the best. Interested to see who we get as a DC, but after that its going to be up to Pioli and Dimitroff to get us some **** pass rushers and backers.

Just really hope we can pry maxwell and smith away from seattle. Think we have a pretty good shot at them.

Lol But seriously what is a LEO?

http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2013/1/19/3890928/gus-bradley-defense-leo-position

"The Leo isn't particularly unique in and of itself. Most defenses have some kind of unique name for their weakside edge player (Buck/Whip/Jack), but Carroll plays him in a particularly loose alignment, and he's the one player along the front who isn't concerned with getting one-yard upfield and anchoring in this defense. He can line up standing up or with his hand in the ground, and sole focus is to be the primary pass rusher and wreak havoc in the backfield. Ultimately, what makes Carroll's defense unique is how the huge gap between the Leo and the next defensive lineman along the scrimmage is defended."

4-3_Over_2_medium.JPG

I also felt Ryan was the best fit for us, but I can understand going after Dan Quinn and he fits the mold of what I wanted for the Falcons post-Smith. He is the head of the best defense in the NFL, he is a master at putting players in a position to win. At the press conference last night, he was a man totally at ease with the press, extremely upbeat, candid, confident, and quick to deflect credit to the players and the other coaches. I'm behind Dan Quinn and look forward to seeing the team undergo a total transformation under his leadership.

My prediction is this team will be above .500 in Quinn's first season. Depending on free agency and the draft, we might be considerably above .500. Play-offs? Play-offs??!? Yeah, it's very possible. We just have to go 6-0 in our division next season instead of 5-1 and we're there. Anybody believe that's not doable with a better HC, OC, DC, better players and all our injured guys back at full strength? I'm not one to guzzle the homer kool-aide, but clearly, some moderate kool-aide guzzling is in order given the changes at Flowery Branch.

If they hire Shanahan I quit. HE HAS DONE NOTHING!!!! AT ALL!!!! FAILED EVERYWHERE!!! IMMENSELY!!! RUINS QBs!!! If they hire him the FALCONS are DOOMEDsadwave.001.gif - If I was Matt Ryan, I would take a look at Shanahans track record of the QBs and offenses hes worked with- Other than RGIII breakout year as a rookie (before he could "Mold Him") it has been horrible. His stats as an OC has been below average at best every year except the RGII rookie season 2012. His teams ranked on average in the low 20s in all offensive statistical categories - not good if the are only 32 spots to rank in the league. So welcome to continued Mediocrity FALCONS - I thought that was why everyone was fired?

If they hire Shanahan I quit. HE HAS DONE NOTHING!!!! AT ALL!!!! FAILED EVERYWHERE!!! IMMENSELY!!! RUINS QBs!!! If they hire him the FALCONS are DOOMEDsadwave.001.gif - If I was Matt Ryan, I would take a look at Shanahans track record of the QBs and offenses hes worked with- Other than RGIII breakout year as a rookie (before he could "Mold Him") it has been horrible. His stats as an OC has been below average at best every year except the RGII rookie season 2012. His teams ranked on average in the low 20s in all offensive statistical categories - not good if the are only 32 spots to rank in the league. So welcome to continued Mediocrity FALCONS - I thought that was why everyone was fired?

Leaving so soon? You just got here? Ah well, bye!

Bai

Offensively, Shanahan can make use of the o-linemen and RBs we have now. He really only needs a mid-round mauler at RB and a good TE, and maybe another piece or two on the o-line.

Another piece or two on the O Line?

Incase you forgot, the Panties exposed our O Line for the Trash that it is.

and you can thank Dimitroff for that.

We need LG, C,RG and RT..

Or did you just casually want to shift Matthews over to RT and put Baker back at LT?

Our O Line is a Mess and to casually suggest one or two players is all we need is,

over optomistic.

Another piece or two on the O Line?

Incase you forgot, the Panties exposed our O Line for the Trash that it is.

and you can thank Dimitroff for that.

We need LG, C,RG and RT..

Or did you just casually want to shift Matthews over to RT and put Baker back at LT?

Our O Line is a Mess and to casually suggest one or two players is all we need is,

over optomistic.

Yes. Because that was our starting o-line that we expected when the season started.

Go home. You're drunk.