Pg Post-Championship Weekend Mock Offseason

We still don't have a head coach but with Quinn basically having the job in all but having the ink on the contract and Shanahan, his rumored preferred OC, already hired we can have a good feel for how the offseason may play out. At any rate...

Cap situation:

Expected cap: $140,000,000

Starting salaries: $113,578,316

Cap Rollover: $6,402,599

Starting cap space: $32,824,283

Cuts:

Jonathan Babineaux, DT ($2.333,332 cap savings)

Steven Jackson, RB ($3,750,000 cap savings)

Sam Baker, OT [$1,900,000 cap hit, worth absorbing)

Peter Konz, C/G ($616,881 cap savings)

Lamar Holmes, T ($546,600 cap savings)

Justin Blalock, G [June 1st cut] ($1,590,000 cap savings)

Cap savings: $6,936,813

8th overall draft fun: -$7,500,000

$32,261,096

Extensions/Re-sign:

Matt Bosher, P [Already done]

Josh Harris, LS [Already done]

Julio Jones, WR [Give him something around 5 years, $20-25 million guarantee/$50-60 million overall. Kicks in for the 2016 season.]

Matt Bryant, K [3 years, $8,550,000 overall, $3,350,000 guaranteed, $1,700,000 cap hit first year. Based on Steven Hauschka's contract]

Antone Smith, RB [1 year, $1 million]

Josh Wilson, CB [1 year, $1 million]

Free Agency:

Byron Maxwell, CB, Seahawks

5 years, $25,550,000 overall, $10,300,000 guaranteed, $2,250,000 cap hit first year. Based on Keenan Lewis' contract.

Follows Dan Quinn. The Seahawks can probably afford him but he isn't on Sherman's level and they have a track record of coaching up CBs so why bother? A physical corner and a solid #2. He would be a great complement for Trufant and would push Alford to NB, where he's best suited anyway.

Orlando Franklin, G, Broncos

5 years, $36,000,000 overall, $15,900,000 guaranteed, $2,700,000 cap hit first year. Based on Ben Grubbs' contract.

The Broncos have a slew of key players about to hit free agency and Franklin will be a likely casualty due to it. He moved to LG last season where he excelled, giving up only a single sack and being a dominant run blocker. He has the movement skills to fit in a ZBS.

Jerry Hughes, DE, Bills

4 years, $28,500,000 overall, $16,000,000 guaranteed, $4,000,000 cap hit first year. Based on Cliff Avril's contract.

He moved to a scheme somewhat similar to what the Seahawks run and did very well there due to his good speed rush. Despite that production he's likely on the outs in Buffalo due to Rex Ryan's arrival and his poor fit in the 3-4.

Jabaal Sheard, DE, Browns

2 years, $10,000,000 overall, $4,350,000 guaranteed, $5,000,000 cap hit first year. Based on Justin Tuck's contract.

I'm not his biggest fan, as many on here will know, but he can be very useful in Quinn's scheme. We can buy low on him this offseason which is a plus. He's at his best defending the run and setting the edge but he can contribute to the pass rush. He can fill the Bennett role.

Jermaine Gresham, TE, Bengals

2 years, $6,000,000 overall, $1,000,000 guaranteed. $3,887,500 cap hit first year. Based on Zach Miller's contract.

The TE draft class this year is abysmal so it is preferable to give someone like Gresham a prove it deal. Some will ask why not bring in Jordan Cameron since he played for Shanahan and the answer to that is that he was largely just a product of Norv Turner and can't block to save his life.

Brian Hoyer, QB, Browns

1 year, $1,750,000

Veteran backup for Ryan who knows Shanahan's system.

Pat Sims, DT/NT, Raiders

1 year, $1,500,000

Excellent interior run stuffer but adds nothing to the pass rush. Will rotate with Soliai.

Jeron Johnson, S, Seahawks

1 year, $1,500,000

Special teamer. Knows Quinn's system.

$5,973,596 left over cap space for emergency signings.

Draft:

1. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Jameis Winston, QB, Florida State

I think he'll bust (Ryan Leaf 3.0, Manziel being 2.0) but he's more pro ready, which Lovie Smith will prefer, plus he has the in state star power the team needs.

2. Tennessee Titans - Leonard Williams, DT/DE, Southern California

Most expect them to take a QB but Whisenhunt has a lengthy history of trying to coach up mid to low round picks into starting QBs and he's got one already in Mettenberger. Meanwhile, their defense needs all the help they can get.

3. Jacksonville Jaguars - Landon Collins, S, Alabama

Their biggest needs on offense are the O-line and RB, but they'll likely spend heavily in free agency to fix the O-line. Meanwhile, they need a good complement for Cyprien at S.

4. Oakland Raiders - Randy Gregory, DE, Nebraska

They may want to get Cooper but considering how bad and old their defense is and with Del Rio now the head coach they'll probably instead go for defense.

5. Washington Redskins - Brandon Scherff, OT, Iowa

They may be tempted to get rid of RGIII but they'll probably give him one last chance, especially considering how much they gave up to get him. Instead they'll probably move to give him as much protection as possible.

6. New York Jets - Marcus Mariota, QB, Oregon

They may move up to make sure they don't get jumped to get him but either way there is no way they're getting out of the first day of the draft without either Winston or Mariota. He'll need a good deal of work but he may actually do pretty well in Gailey's system.

7. Alvin Dupree, DE, Kentucky

Fox will be almost entirely focused on fixing that defense, especially the pass rush. Dupree isn't one of the top edge rushers left but he's the DE who best fits Fox's mold.

---

1st - Vic Beasley, DE/OLB, Clemson

With Hughes filling the Leo role Beasley will be brought in to fill the Sam role, which can be reworked into a similar fashion as how the Broncos use Von Miller. He's the edge rush equivalent of Aaron Donald, who was my draft crush last year, due to his fantastic first step, anticipation, being a backfield nightmare, and being undersized so he'll be mostly overlooked early on. He has great bend and hand usage as well and the athleticism to cover.

2nd - Paul Dawson, OLB, TCU

Rangy, instinctive, and explosive. He is also very good in coverage and has great blocking shedding abilities. He is ideal for the Will backer role in a Leo 4-3 defense which covers the vulnerability against the run over the Leo. Also, as can be implied from before, he is a very good blitzer which will be useful under Quinn because he likes to dial them up.

3rd - Ty Montgomery, WR, Stanford

This WR class isn't as good as last year's class but it is loaded with players with 1st and 2nd round grades which will mean at least a few will fall out of that range. Montgomery will likely be one who falls due to his shoulder injury but that just means we can get him here in the 3rd. He's an ideally built WR who is physical and has good hands, but he does need to smooth out his route running and recover from his shoulder injury.

4th - David Cobb, RB, Minnesota

Freeman is the only RB on the roster currently under contract who isn't a lock to get cut (Jackson). Antone is re-signed in this scenario but they still need to get another one. Considering they're moving to a ZBS Cobb would be the perfect pick considering his style of play and how well he'd complement Freeman. A smash and dash duo.

5th - Austin Shepherd, OT, Alabama

6th - Miles Dieffenbach, G, Penn State

7th - Trayion Durham, FB, Kent State

7th (Rams) - Jeff Luc, LB, Cincinnati

Roster:

QB: Matt Ryan, Brian Hoyer, Sean Renfree

RB: Devonta Freeman, David Cobb, Antone Smith

FB: Trayion Durham

WR: Julio Jones, Roddy White, Harry Douglas, Ty Montgomery, Devin Hester, Freddie Martino

TE: Jermaine Gresham, Levine Toilolo, Kyle Miller

LT: Jake Matthews, Ryan Schraeder

LG: Orlando Franklin, Miles Dieffenbach

C: Joe Hawley, James Stone

RG: Jon Asamoah, Harland Gunn

RT: Ryan Schraeder, Austin Shepherd

Leo DE: Jerry Hughes, Jonathan Massaquoi, Stansly Maponga

DT: Ra'Shede Hageman, Tyson Jackson

NT: Paul Soliai, Pat Sims

5T-DE: Jabaal Sheard, Malliciah Goodman

Will: Paul Dawson, Joplo Bartu

MLB: Prince Shembo, Paul Worrilow, Marquis Spruill

Sam: Vic Beasley, Joplo Bartu, Jeff Luc

CB: Desmond Trufant, Byron Maxwell, Robert Alford, Josh Wilson, Ricardo Allen

FS: Kemal Ishmael, Jeron Johnson

SS: William Moore, Dezmen Southward

K: Matt Bryant

P: Matt Bosher

LS: Josh Harris

I would be all for Maxwell coming here, but in no way is Alford best suited for NB. Not sure why anyone would even think that. He never has even played NB. McClain did and even Trufant did against the Bucs, but i don't recall Alford every playing NB.

Not a fan of cutting Holmes for such little cap savings unless it was an injury settlement.

Not a fan of cutting Konz since we are probably changing to a ZBS. He at least deserves a chance in that offense since he does not save much cap anyways.

Like the draft a lot. Really like David Cobb as a RB.

Like the Jermaine Gresham pick up. PFF's best blocking TE and an underrated receiver as well.

I quite like everything except for the stuff I'm about to ask you about.

1. Why not bother re-signing Spoon to a one year "prove it" deal?

2. I'm really not a fan of the Sheard signing. Would prefer McPhee to play the Bennett role or Graham as a second LEO/potential Sam candidate

3. I'm a huge fan of Beasley but if Shane Ray is available at 8 we HAVE to take him. His upside is TREMENDOUS and Quinn is a DL wizard.

4. More of a personal thing since I like the idea of going WR-RB in round 3-4, but I'm not a fan of Montgomery or Cobb.

Like I said though, other than that, I absolutely LOVE this mock.

I quite like everything except for the stuff I'm about to ask you about.

1. Why not bother re-signing Spoon to a one year "prove it" deal?

2. I'm really not a fan of the Sheard signing. Would prefer McPhee to play the Bennett role or Graham as a second LEO/potential Sam candidate

3. I'm a huge fan of Beasley but if Shane Ray is available at 8 we HAVE to take him. His upside is TREMENDOUS and Quinn is a DL wizard.

4. More of a personal thing since I like the idea of going WR-RB in round 3-4, but I'm not a fan of Montgomery or Cobb.

Like I said though, other than that, I absolutely LOVE this mock.

1. I don't have confidence in Spoon not winding up on IR and would prefer to spend money elsewhere.

2. I also prefer McPhee but he'll also cost a good deal more than Sheard, who I think can be effective in the Bennett role. You also know my opinion on Graham.

3. When it comes to Beasley and Ray I view them as about equal but I like Beasley just a little bit more. I'd be glad with either at any rate.

4. I'm still looking over the WRs, Montgomery is just the one that makes the most sense in that slot right now. As for Cobb, I am a fan of him. I think he'll be perfect in Shanahan's offense and a great complement for Freeman.

Naturally, I don't see the point in cutting Konz and Holmes, especially with us changing up the blocking scheme. I also don't really see the point in signing Hoyer.

Garbage is garbage no matter what it is in. It'll be better to move on from those two and get prospects with some potential. I'm also not a fan of Renfree. I don't see him as anything more than a #3 QB. Hoyer is a pretty good backup QB and knows Shanahan's system.

It's really good. Only things I don't like is Sheard at 5-T and FS is a major weakness. Like Kayoh said, McPhee would be the better signing, and I think he'll come for around $6M per although on a longer deal. I'm also in agreement with him with re-signing Spoon.

Everything else is good. That's a good team.

lol at Landon Collins going number 3 over all. I very much dislike the Jerry Hughes signing, I honestly believe his production is directly tied to the players he is playing next to. I see him flopping as soon as he get's to a new team. Jermaine Gresham, just eww.

I don't care who you are no one is going to sell me on Vic Beasley, I see tweener bust written all over him. He is the next Barkevious Mingo. But if he is your guy and your sold on him then I can't fault you for taking him. Picks 2-4 I like a lot.

Not your best mock pg , jmo. I respect your opinion the most on here.

Really tho, Collins at 3?

I'm willing to bet thats about half what Jerry Hughes will earn, contract wise.

If some team jumps on him in the first few days of free agency then I wouldn't be surprised if he does get that much. Players always get overpaid in that phase. I think he's actually worth somewhere around what Avril got.

lol at Landon Collins going number 3 over all. I very much dislike the Jerry Hughes signing, I honestly believe his production is directly tied to the players he is playing next to. I see him flopping as soon as he get's to a new team. Jermaine Gresham, just eww.

I don't care who you are no one is going to sell me on Vic Beasley, I see tweener bust written all over him. He is the next Barkevious Mingo. But if he is your guy and your sold on him then I can't fault you for taking him. Picks 2-4 I like a lot.

Not your best mock pg , jmo. I respect your opinion the most on here.

Really tho, Collins at 3?

Collins comes off as an ideal player for Bradley given their needs and his scheme. I think they'll likely trade down before grabbing him but I'm not doing trades yet. It's the same reason I have us taking Beasley at #8 here since I think he'll fall a bit due to his size, same reason as Donald.

Great mock. Period. End of story...fantastic mock..I'm not as high on Cobras you..I got mike Davis in the fourth, but cobb is a legit candidate in the fourth round

Beasley and Dawson would complete our LB and pass rush makeover

You manning the middle with Shembo or Worrilow in this scenario?

Those knocking Collins have obviously not seen him play. He's a 220 lb heat seeking middle that can cover. I wouldn't be upset if we drafted him

If some team jumps on him in the first few days of free agency then I wouldn't be surprised if he does get that much. Players always get overpaid in that phase. I think he's actually worth somewhere around what Avril got.

he is currently ranked as the second best available pass rusher, so odds of him not being gone day 1-2 are fairly slim IMO. We will have to overpay for anyone worth wile. Thats just how free agency works.