Didn't We Try Zone Blocking In The Past And Come To The Conclusion That...

raumin

1) it's not effective on 3rd -1

2) it's not effective on the goal line situations

3) We get out maned when we face bigger and more stout defensive lineman.

I know the OC we hired is one of the young bright coaches coming up, but I remember our running game when we ran zone blocking worked until we really needed it, and terrorized Ryan (who's a statue back there) when our under 300 pound linemen couldn't handel bigger guys.

I don't know how I feel about it.

We quit running Zone when Mora got fired and Vick got arrested.

Matt gets rid of the ball. Vick held on to the ball way to long always looking for a run.

I think Matt will thrive, especially with a more talented OL. We have Matthews and Asomoah, so it shoild be a better OL than the Gibbs line.

We quit running Zone when Mora got fired and Vick got arrested.

Matt gets rid of the ball. Vick held on to the ball way to long always looking for a run.

I think Matt will thrive, especially with a more talented OL. We have Matthews and Asomoah, so it shoild be a better OL than the Gibbs line.

Not to ruffle your feathers...but Matt holds on to the ball alot. It drives me crazy sometimes.

So we DIDNT run zone blocking with Matt. For some reason early on I thought we did when we had Harvey.

We did run zbs when turner was here. We went away from it in 2011. That's when his production started going down. We suffered in 3rd and 1 later but between 08 and 10 we were one of the best short yardage teams.

So we DIDNT run zone blocking with Matt. For some reason early on I thought we did when we had Harvey.

Maybe in some sets, but it wasn't our OL philosophy. It was more of a smash mouth Steeler type scheme.

The problem was we still had undersized OL more suited for Zone when Mularkey was here.

We did run zbs when turner was here. We went away from it in 2011. That's when his production started going down. We suffered in 3rd and 1 later but between 08 and 10 we were one of the best short yardage teams.

Everybody runs it to a point, but it wasn't anything like what we had with Mora. Every scheme has elements of others.

Everybody runs it to a point, but it wasn't anything like what we had with Mora. Every scheme has elements of others.

Youre right it wasn't because mora kept them undersized and faster. When Smitty first got here the lineman were playing back at their normal playing weights but we still emphasized zbs with power thrown in. If you recall turner always had the one cut and go. When we went straight power in 2011 his production went down because we weren't a power blocking line. Too weak for it. No road graders. Also why they got pushed back into turner a lot. Edited by TheFatboi

We need some HOGS on the line and FB and TE that can catch and block.

Not to run a zbs. We just need athletic lineman that can pass block. We're heavy enough on the line just not strong like a power blocking line. We have zbs lineman. So we're right on par if shanahan is coming. Even konz will be playing better because it's what he did at Wisconsin. Zone blocked.

No it wasn't because mora kept them undersized and faster. When Smitty first got here the lineman were playing back at their normal playing weights but we still emphasized zbs with power thrown in. If you recall turner always had the one cut and go. When we went straight power in 2011 his production went down because we weren't a power blocking line. Too weak for it. No road graders. Also why they got pushed back into turner a lot.

True, you're right. It did have a lot of Zone, but it seemed primarily power from my recollection. McClure and Blalock were the leftovers, but they did gain weight.

But I don't think it will be nearly as much as we will see with Shanahan. Imagine Antone and Freeman in this system.

Not to run a zbs. We just need athletic lineman that can pass block. We're heavy enough on the line just not strong like a power blocking line. We have zbs lineman. So we're right on par if shanahan is coming. Even konz will be playing better because it's what he did at Wisconsin. Zone blocked.

I'll watch it all play out. I'm in favor for anything that's gonna give Ryan all the time he needs for us to extend drives and score TDs.

1) it's not effective on 3rd -1

2) it's not effective on the goal line situations

3) We get out maned when we face bigger and more stout defensive lineman.

I know the OC we hired is one of the young bright coaches coming up, but I remember our running game when we ran zone blocking worked until we really needed it, and terrorized Ryan (who's a statue back there) when our under 300 pound linemen couldn't handel bigger guys.

I don't know how I feel about it

Nope that about covers it but it might have had more to do with Gibbs preference for smaller more athletic lower round guys.

Our current group of o-linemen may not fit that scheme

True, you're right. It did have a lot of Zone, but it seemed primarily power from my recollection. McClure and Blalock were the leftovers, but they did gain weight.

But I don't think it will be nearly as much as we will see with Shanahan. Imagine Antone and Freeman in this system.

Absolutley. I think shanahan will live and die by it. Freeman and Antone will both be dogs in a zbs. I'm getting a little excited for next season already. I think Quinn will bring that toughness and edge we've been missing.

I'll watch it all play out. I'm in favor for anything that's gonna give Ryan all the time he needs for us to extend drives and score TDs.

Yep. That'll be getting more balanced. That will help a bunch. Shanahan approach is already with short to intermediate passes that can go the distance. Kinda like GB's offensive philosophy.

This is what I was thinking.

Yeah, here we go.....

Bradley said his defensive unit had a tackling plan session on Wednesday to handle Atlanta’s bowling ball of a runner Michael Turner.

Turner has 234 yards a touchdown this season, with a long of 61 yards. He’s averaging 5.6 yards per carry. Turner ran for 82 yards against Seattle last year.

“This guy’s big, he’s strong,” Bradley said. “He’ll get to the outside. He’s broken a couple long runs already this year, and so we’ve addressed that with our guys. He’s a downhill runner, but they’re a big zone blocking team and try to create leverage issues. So it’s not downhill Iso so much, it’s more of a zone scheme where they’re trying to get you confused on some things and create seams that way.

Link to article: http://blog.thenewstribune.com/seahawks/2011/09/29/bradley-defense-has-tackling-plan-for-turner/