Analysis Of Kyle Shanahan's Zone Blocking Scheme

How quickly some fans forget, it seems.

The zone blocking scheme is not new to Atlanta. We started running it on 2004 when we hired Alex Gibbs as our OL coach - the same Alex Gibbs that created and perfected the system along with Mike Shanahan in the 80s and 90s. It's the system we were running when our OL gained the reputation of being the dirtiest in the NFL due to the cut-blocking schemes it often employs.

I'm personally not a fan. It was actually the Smith regime that moved us away from the ZBS and installed a more man-blocking hybrid scheme that allowed Turner to run all over the NFL while he was here.

The zone blocking scheme is not new to Atlanta. We started running it on 2004 when we hired Alex Gibbs as our OL coach - the same Alex Gibbs that created and perfected the system along with Mike Shanahan in the 80s and 90s. It's the system we were running when our OL gained the reputation of being the dirtiest in the NFL due to the cut-blocking schemes it often employs.

I'm personally not a fan. It was actually the Smith regime that moved us away from the ZBS and installed a more man-blocking hybrid scheme that allowed Turner to run all over the NFL while he was here.

Yeah everyone seems to forget that when we ran the ZBS short yardage became a HUGE problem.

We're still going to need an o-line coach and might need some new personnel along the o-line if we go ZBS.

Then, we proceeded to draft and develop OL's with quick feet and very little sand in their pants. The result was an OL that could not push anyone off the LOS.

The ZBS may not be ideal, but it will should make the best use of our OL's quickness.

I wrote this in the other thread, but it was on page ten.

Think it is funny how all you hairless apes have not brought up all this stuff

Steve-Slaton.jpg

Kyle Made Steve Slaton amazing his rookie year. And the Steve started being stupid. After Kyle, Steve went on to be horrible in the NFL and eventually retired after a few seasons without Kyle.

Andre-Johnson.jpg

Only 3 times has Andre Johnson had over 1500 yards in a season. Two of those were with Kyle.

matt-schaub-texans-qb-pro-bowl-mvp-8b3c0

2008 Schaub looked decent, but there was two quaterbacks at play. Which those two they ranked 4th in passing in the NFL.

2009 Schaub won the MVP at the Pro Bowl.

alfred-morris-td-vs-cowboys-game-17-2013

Alfred Morris put up an astonishing 1600+ yards rushing in the first year with Kyle. While after Kyle, Alfred was barley breaking 1,000 yards

griffining.jpg

Griffin with his two seasons with Kyle had 3200+ passing yards each season. With one season rushing for 800+ and the other almost being 500 (and he was injured).

While After Kyle, Griffin looks nothing more then a guy who will never be again.

2008 Houston Texans total Offense. Ranked 3 Overall

2009 Houton Texans. ranked 4 Overall

2010 Washington Redskins ranked 17 overall

2011 Washington Redskins ranked 16 overall

2012 Washington Redskins. Ranked 5 overall.

2013 Washington Redskins. Ranked 9 Overall.

2014 Clevland Browns. Ranked 23 Overall

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=true&conference=null&role=TM&offensiveStatisticCategory=GAME_STATS&defensiveStatisticCategory=null&season=2009&seasonType=REG&tabSeq=2&qualified=false&Submit=Go <<<---- Just for you hairless apes that want to see the proof in the pudding for yourself.

2008 Houston Texans Rushing. Ranked 13 overall.

2012 Washington Redskins rushing. Ranked #1 Overall

and those were guys who were not that great after Kyle. Slaton sure as heck was not.

There is people in here who think Kyle sucks. But I feel they do not know the history of Kyle. Kyle has done great great things. The ceiling really is the limit with what he will do with elite Quarterback for once in his career. Or having Running backs who can actually do something.

Last two things,

1. Every year under Kyle his lines have looked good. 2008/2009 Offensive line were amazing. Would love to have that coach here with him. But John Benton is probably in a contract with Miami right now.

2. Dog pound fans were asking prior to 2014 season, "Who the freak is Hoyer". They are now saying, "Man if only Cameron stayed healthy".

Edited by munky

i was gonna post the same thing a week ago, but knew it wouldnt fly over well.

For some reason I remember pass protection being a huge problem. Of course that was Vick at the helm, but I still believe this is weakness of the scheme? I know we're desperate for a run game around here, but not at the expense of our aerial attack.

It's because Vick can't read defenses, coordinate an O-line, or make quick passes to save his life regardless of the scheme.

^^ Truth