Falcons Hiring Kyle Shanahan As Oc

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think there is any reasoning at all involved here. Shanahan was not under contract and could be hired at any time.

Even if Quinn told the Falcons to hire Shanahan as an OC, how does that in any way violate the spirit of the rule?

I was asking what is, 'the spirit of the rule?' To me it is either the rule or not. I think Shanahan is a great coordinator either way and this will offer Quinn more of an incentive to leave Seattle. I am just hoping he won't back out.

Nope, we will get back to playaction passing with bootlegs!!

I do hope he won't fall into the Mularkey trap of running boots and cutting the field in half for Ryan all the time. I do want to see them run, because they work well in a WCO, but Mularkey was always cutting the field in half and playing against Ryan's strengths as a passer. We should bootleg to get misdirection, especially in the red zone and on 3rd down. But I don't want to see every other play be a naked boot or some sort of rollout.

He won't be running what he ran in Washington. I seriously doubt we'll run a lot of pistol and read option plays.

I wouldn't mind some pistol looks. You can run more effectively from the pistol than shotgun, the RB isn't to the side of the QB and basically forced to run to the opposite side on a run play. I think you're spot on Matt won't be running read options, though he's athletic enough to break off a few runs.

I do hope he won't fall into the Mularkey trap of running boots and cutting the field in half for Ryan all the time. I do want to see them run, because they work well in a WCO, but Mularkey was always cutting the field in half and playing against Ryan's strengths as a passer. We should bootleg to get misdirection, especially in the red zone and on 3rd down. But I don't want to see every other play be a naked boot or some sort of rollout.

Really don't think that'll be a problem, both MM and Koetter had favorite plays they overused, doesn't seem to be a problem Shanahan has.

But one could admit the plays that Mike Mularkey and Dirk Koetter ran were perfected by Matt Ryan so I am expecting Kyle Shanahan to throw in some wrinkles/elements of verticals and WCO. I wasn't alluding to running bootlegs ALL of the time, I can recall MR being decent when running out to the right and throwing the ball 15 yards. It will be nice to see that again.

who even knows who the starting rb will be next season....it might be sjax.....we just dont know

I doubt it but even if it's him he'll benefit from a zbs too. My guess is he won't even be here. Especially with the kind of backs shanahan likes. He doesn't fit. Just another example of how we had the wrong pkayers for what we we're trying to do but if he is it'll help. There will be cut back lanes that will help him get extra yards. One cut and go.

I doubt it but even if it's him he'll benefit from a zbs too. My guess is he won't even be here. Especially with the kind of backs shanahan likes. He doesn't fit. Just another example of how we had the wrong pkayers for what we we're trying to do but if he is it'll help. There will be cut back lanes that will help him get extra yards. One cut and go.

He could still have some juice if used right,, he was not terrible this past year,, The fact he had 7 rushing td's when we gave up on the run so much is pretty remarkable.

He was good when he could just hit the hole and go... when he had to stop his feet and restart that is when he struggled....... if we can get the ZB working he will have more of a chance to indeed come down hill.

I would be interested in seeing what he could do in that style of offense.

He would need to take a pay cut, but I would not be opposed to bringing him back.

He could still have some juice if used right,, he was not terrible this past year,, The fact he had 7 rushing td's when we gave up on the run so much is pretty remarkable.

He was good when he could just hit the hole and go... when he had to stop his feet and restart that is when he struggled....... if we can get the ZB working he will have more of a chance to indeed come down hill.

He would need to take a pay cut, but I would not be opposed to bringing him back.

Absolutely. I think he still has a little left and a zbs can preserve a little of it. I'm not opposed to it either but I'm speaking from perspective of the the type of backs shanahan likes. SJ did well last season. I think we were a little too pass heavy for him to really get going like he could have had he had games with 25+ carries.

Man I don't understand why we kept trying to use SJax like he could read holes and burst when it opened. Like you said, as soon as his feet slowed down, the play was over. We need to just move on.

Man I don't understand why we kept trying to use SJax like he could read holes and burst when it opened. Like you said, as soon as his feet slowed down, the play was over. We need to just move on.

Well he could read holes............. the issue was he did not have the burst to restart.

When he could read the hole and just hit it with no hesitation he was a beast.... watch the cards game.

He hit that first hole like a freight train.... in a ZBS he would have more opportunities to do that.