Let's Discuss This Notion That Players Were Played Out Of Position

I agree players like Soliai and TJax had absolutely no business playing in a 4-3 or 4-2, however, I think this was done out of necessity, not because Smitty and Nolan woke up one day and said hey let's get cute. Think back on it folks, Smitty and Nolan told Dimi to go find three big nasties and some backers cause they wanted to run a 3-4 in 2014. In fact, the day training camp opened up, Nolan shouted out, OK line up in the base defense. We quickly lined up in a 3-4 base. Not even a week later we started hearing Smitty saying we're not a 3-4, we're multiple. When the season started we were all baffled when we were dam near exclusively in a 4-2-5 nickel base.

Here's what I believe happened. We were absolutely planning on converting to a 3-4 defense in 2014. Dimi did a decent job finding the DLinemen to support the shift when he brought in Soliai and TJax who had recent success in a 3-4. Same with Hageman who has the size and strength to be a good 3-4 DLineman. He also had Goodman bulk up to 3-4 DE size. My guess is when practices started we quickly realized we didn't have one 3-4 backer. Dimi tried by drafting four backers but none were worth a dam. Plus Spoon was on the training table, Beer had a bad wheel, Osi was over the hill, Worrilow couldn't cover, neither could Joplo, Mass got injured, then got in a doghouse running his mouth.

Dimi and his roster building tactics are why players got played out of position. Not because Smitty and Nolan were being stubborn or trying to experiment. Face it folks, Dimi is a coach killa. He got a head coach, two coordinators and several position coaches either fired or run off. Many other decent coaches will be without jobs in another week or two. The man cannot find a pass rusher, run blocking Oline or LB corps to save his life. He is only good for finding offensive skill players and an occasional DB. He should have been fired a year ago after the 2013 debacle. The only person being played out of position is Dimi. He should be a bicycle salesman.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, they can play in a 4-3 under and fit nicely. The ones I had an issue with was Babineaux at DE and/or Goodman often times instead of Mass and Osi. Further, going 3 man rush with no hopes of a pass rush on 3rd and long.

I know you can't stand TD but there's no doubt in my mind that TD got exactly who Nolan and Smitty wanted for that defense this offseason. It just blew up in their faces...

Lol @ the GM being the reason players were played out of position.

Even without decent 3-4 backers, the Falcons would have been better off playing to an ex-probowler's (Soliai), top run defender's (Jackson) and a budding star's (Hageman) strengths as opposed to a couple UDFA LBers.

If the Falcons ran a true 3-4 at least the best players on the D would have been comfortable.

I don't remember anyone ever saying officially we were 3 4. There were tons of speculation and reports that sprung up due to the moves we were making.

I think the plan was to be multiple all along. I think they concocted this big four big nickel Frankenstein monster in an attempt at innovation to battle the high flying offenses while not being vulnerable to run heavy teams.

And obviously it was a disaster. That's just my take on it

I agree players like Soliai and TJax had absolutely no business playing in a 4-3 or 4-2, however, I think this was done out of necessity, not because Smitty and Nolan woke up one day and said hey let's get cute. Think back on it folks, Smitty and Nolan told Dimi to go find three big nasties and some backers cause they wanted to run a 3-4 in 2014. In fact, the day training camp opened up, Nolan shouted out, OK line up in the base defense. We quickly lined up in a 3-4 base. Not even a week later we started hearing Smitty saying we're not a 3-4, we're multiple. When the season started we were all baffled when we were dam near exclusively in a 4-2-5 nickel base.

Here's what I believe happened. We were absolutely planning on converting to a 3-4 defense in 2014. Dimi did a decent job finding the DLinemen to support the shift when he brought in Soliai and TJax who had recent success in a 3-4. Same with Hageman who has the size and strength to be a good 3-4 DLineman. He also had Goodman bulk up to 3-4 DE size. My guess is when practices started we quickly realized we didn't have one 3-4 backer. Dimi tried by drafting four backers but none were worth a dam. Plus Spoon was on the training table, Beer had a bad wheel, Osi was over the hill, Worrilow couldn't cover, neither could Joplo, Mass got injured, then got in a doghouse running his mouth.

Dimi and his roster building tactics are why players got played out of position. Not because Smitty and Nolan were being stubborn or trying to experiment. Face it folks, Dimi is a coach killa. He got a head coach, two coordinators and several position coaches either fired or run off. Many other decent coaches will be without jobs in another week or two. The man cannot find a pass rusher, run blocking Oline or LB corps to save his life. He is only good for finding offensive skill players and an occasional DB. He should have been fired a year ago after the 2013 debacle. The only person being played out of position is Dimi. He should be a bicycle salesman.

It's not 3-4 or 4-3 man, it's completely different. We could have played with the same personnel we actually played with, but still changed the front 4 to a 2-gap system instead of trying to make Soliai and TJax shoot their gaps and run down RB's in the backfield in a 1-gap. There's no excuse for that. We did it more often towards the end of the year and our defense advanced by leagues.

Dimi was strong about going after pass rushers and smith and Nolan wanted to bulk up the interior first and foremost, which was a right thing to do, but the playing out of position still had nothing to do with any of that. They could've run a 4-3 under to give a 3-4 effect which they did in a few games and the defense player exceptional. The problem was they were a little too multiple and outsmarted themselves too much. They could've still player with 3 or 4 linebackers. They trotted a 4-2 front out in most games because many of the teams we play start the game with 3 wr's. Instead of just staying with a base defense to start each game they let the offense we were playing dictate how we would start the game on defense. Running team we can out in 4-3. Passing team we came out 4-2. Conversly the better games we played we were 4-3 most of the game so it was most def Smitty and nolans schemes.

Everything you said makes a whole lot of sense but given what you said how could we blame Dimi. He spent the money to get to get the 3-4 players in free agency. Wor and Bart had played decently the year before and the idea was at least one of them (Wor) would be serviceable.

The other serviceable option would be Spoon but he got injured. We picked up a bunch of LBS and they either got hurt or didn't pan out or wasn't ready yet (Shembo)

If what you said is true, then I wouldn't blame anybody. It was all circumstances. Spoon's injury and Wor lack of progress messed up more than we may have thought.

Actually, they can play in a 4-3 under and fit nicely. The ones I had an issue with was Babineaux at DE and/or Goodman often times instead of Mass and Osi. Further, going 3 man rush with no hopes of a pass rush on 3rd and long.

I know you can't stand TD but there's no doubt in my mind that TD got exactly who Nolan and Smitty wanted for that defense this offseason. It just blew up in their faces...

And that is def a Smitty/Nolan call. Trying to say that mass can't play the run so Babs started there. Abe wasn't a huge run stopper but he was decent. So is mass. Just leave a guy in the game and trust your pkayers to get an offense a 3rd and long and let the so called "bad run defender" rush the passer which is his strength. I hated how much they rotated. Let some guys get hot.

Thomas has said he was ultimately responsible and admitted making mistakes. He made several.

None of which were the playing of players out of position.

We were having 340 pound Paul Solali shoot his gap and rush up field towards the QB instead of sitting back and devouring the run game. That is why our run defense was terrible.

Soliai and TJax excel more and fit better in a 3-4.

Babineaux, Peters, Osi and Beirmann logged the most pass rush snaps. I know you're probably pssd Mass didn't get more time. But he got injured and then when he came back he btchd about playing time. Don't forget Nolan saying he was getting his as handed to him in practice. And you already know I'm the VP of the Mass Transit Club.

It's not that I can't stand Dimi. I like a few of his moves. But I hate at least four times as many. He just can't build the foundation of a real football team. An Oline and front seven.

Lol @ the GM being the reason players were played out of position.

Even without decent 3-4 backers, the Falcons would have been better off playing to an ex-probowler's (Soliai), top run defender's (Jackson) and a budding star's (Hageman) strengths as opposed to a couple UDFA LBers.

If the Falcons ran a true 3-4 at least the best players on the D would have been comfortable.

The strength of those DLinemen is the 3-4. You need four LBs to run a 3-4. We didn't have one. The two we played in our 4-2 got lit up on a regular basis. And Dimi drafted four LBs.

you're focusing too much on alignment, and not what the players were actually told to do...whether he's told to do it from a 2 point stance or a 3 point, a good speed rusher is gonna rush the passer if he's told to bend around the corner on a tackle...now you tell that same guy to rush an A gap and he won't have the same impact regardless of the alignment...that's playing out of position. not some silly alignment war that's started on here for whatever reason.

I don't remember anyone ever saying officially we were 3 4. There were tons of speculation and reports that sprung up due to the moves we were making.

I think the plan was to be multiple all along. I think they concocted this big four big nickel Frankenstein monster in an attempt at innovation to battle the high flying offenses while not being vulnerable to run heavy teams.

And obviously it was a disaster. That's just my take on it

I remember hearing Blank, Dimi, Nolan and several players saying we were going 3-4. Something happened. What do you think happened?

It's not 3-4 or 4-3 man, it's completely different. We could have played with the same personnel we actually played with, but still changed the front 4 to a 2-gap system instead of trying to make Soliai and TJax shoot their gaps and run down RB's in the backfield in a 1-gap. There's no excuse for that. We did it more often towards the end of the year and our defense advanced by leagues.

It is 4-3 or 3-4 man. Two different types of rosters. Dimi was told to build a 3-4 roster. He built some sort of 4-2 multiple thingy.