Football Discussion: What Do We Have At The Safety Position?

MSalmon

Can willymo stay healthy? Or is time to move on?

I like Lowrey as a solid vet..but he's no stud

Ishmael imo is a keeper at SS...I watched many ucf games in person (I lived outside Orlando) and the kid just makes plays

What do we have on Southward? A big cb? A third safety? A starting FS?

Is adding a Landon Collins a real possibility in draft? Or even courting McCourty?

Discuss

Safety is one of our more intriguing units. While experience is always valued highly in the secondary, I don't think there is enough of a drop off from WillyMo to Ish to justify Mo's price tag..

The role of Southward appears to still be in development.. I'd expect to see 3 safety looks fairly often. Also Lowery had a great season, no reason he shouldn't start at FS for us

hopefully we keep lowery. with him, moore, southward, ish and godfrey, we should be pretty good at safety. give ish and southward some time to learn under willy and lowery and in a few years they should be good to go when it is time to move on from the injury plagued moore.

If we didn't have southward, keeping lowery on board more than 1 yr would be a no brainer but...I believe he has value for us for one more year while southward develops, if anything it gives us freedom to experiment with south who can hybrid...I would want lowery back in the starting role, he can play single high effectively...plus cheap

I like Ishmael as a young up and comer. Quite frankly, Motta was making a few plays before his neck injury....not saying he's ever going to be more than STs and depth, but I recall watching between his mental mistakes a good few plays. I recall being disappointed when he went down.

With Safeties and CBs , there can be extremely athletic talented ones who play terrible because of the scheme they are in and what is being asked from them. Over the decades I've watched many secondary defenders revive their careers after switching schemes and being utilized differently. This is one reason I'm so high on Quinn, I think we have much more talent in our secondary and on our DL than it showed last year.

The draft is loaded and deep with pass rushers, I think if we use the 8th on and end and possibly even our second round pick on another LB/pass rusher, this defense under Quinn could make a quantum leap.

William Moore is an awesome player when on the field. I'd REALLY like to see what he can do in a better/more aggressive defensive system. I think Ishmael is a beast, and the sky is the limit for Southward.

Why is nobody talking about moving on from Motta?

Ish/Lowery/Moore are a great safety trio... Motta is def on his way out

William Moore is an awesome player when on the field. I'd REALLY like to see what he can do in a better/more aggressive defensive system. I think Ishmael is a beast, and the sky is the limit for Southward.

Why is nobody talking about moving on from Motta?

Motta is forgotten, and with the neck injury, yeah its time to move on

I like Ishmael as a young up and comer. Quite frankly, Motta was making a few plays before his neck injury....not saying he's ever going to be more than STs and depth, but I recall watching between his mental mistakes a good few plays. I recall being disappointed when he went down.

I agree...if healthy I'd keep him as just that STs and depth

Im not sure I see Willy as a 5 million dollar upgrade over kemal.

If we could get any kind of draft pick I think that money would be better served in the LB corp or maybe a TE

I'm the same on willymo...now Landon Collins I'd consider..other than humid probably get a mid round or mid FA type

I like Landon Collins as well. Big safety and could be our version of Earl Thomas.

Landon would be enticing..guess it depends on FA as far as pass rush.

Collins and Ishmael wouldn't be a bad start and rotate Lowrey and or southward in as the third safety

I kinda like southward as a big cb..,fast guy with good skills...could be a Brandon browner type cb if we got Quinn and push Alford to the nickel/slot guy

We are so used to looking at mediocrity-this is what I like about the possible Quinn hire. Quinn is used to looking at GREAT DB play. He will know what good CB's and S look like. Our guys are Okay when healthy. But if we REALLY want to be a SB Contender we will have to stop settling for mediocrity. Most around the NFL feel we have very few defensive players who can start on a NFL Contending team.

With Safeties and CBs , there can be extremely athletic talented ones who play terrible because of the scheme they are in and what is being asked from them. Over the decades I've watched many secondary defenders revive their careers after switching schemes and being utilized differently. This is one reason I'm so high on Quinn, I think we have much more talent in our secondary and on our DL than it showed last year.

The draft is loaded and deep with pass rushers, I think if we use the 8th on and end and possibly even our second round pick on another LB/pass rusher, this defense under Quinn could make a quantum leap.

I agree with your first statement. Cam Chancellor is a perfect example of how Quinn adjusts his defensive scheme to the talents of his players. CC is huge (LB-sized) and is fast. But, he really does not cover well. Instead of making him patrol the field and become the last level of defense, Quinn uses Chancellor as a first or second level defender. In other words, he uses CC's strength and speed to make plays behind or close to the LOS. By close to the LOS, I mean tackling receivers or RB's before they can reach first down markers. Of course, CC is asked to handle deeper responsibilities, form time to time, but that is done more to mix up coverages.

Chancellor is now one of the most respected Safeties in the league. Had he ended up in Atlanta, Nolan would be talking about hiding his deficiencies rather than exploiting his strengths.

I am very optimistic that Quinn will find ways to exploit the under-used talents of Southward, Ishmael, Alford, Massaquoi and Maponga.

With regards to your second statement. I agree that our defense can potentially make a quantum leap, but I don't think that depending on two rookie pass rushers is the best way to go about it. I look for us to sign a pass rusher in free agency: someone like Hughes or Graham.

Edited by etherdome

We are so used to looking at mediocrity-this is what I like about the possible Quinn hire. Quinn is used to looking at GREAT DB play. He will know what good CB's and S look like. Our guys are Okay when healthy. But if we REALLY want to be a SB Contender we will have to stop settling for mediocrity. Most around the NFL feel we have very few defensive players who can start on a NFL Contending team.

That said outside of Thomas no other Seahawk secondary personnel was considered elite...they were schematically sound and fit the system.

I'm not really a fan of the Falcons safeties. I think Landon Collins would be great. I think there is a chance that Collins is there.

Moore is solid when healthy, but he'll also be 30 this year.

I was fine with taking Clinton-Dix last year, and I'm fine if we take Collins if he's available this year. We need as many coverage guys as we can get. Maybe we can actually cover a TE.