Is Shane Ray Worth Moving Up For?

cb743f

Could you imagine having Willy Mo, Weatherspoon, and Ray on Defense? Ray is a guy coaches will have to game plan for. I definitely like the swagger he brings. With that many Mizzou players on D, if healthy I think they all will play hard. That will help us an develop identity. Most mocks having him going higher than 8th. It looks like he is a day 1 starter on the end in a 4-3 defense. He is very disruptive on the line.

Do you guys think we should move up to get him?

Guest Mr Plow

We have WAY too many needs and holes to fill to even think about moving up. It's not about moving up. The key is to hit on our top picks instead of consistently missing as we've done in the recent past. At the very minimum our first three picks need to be solid hits. Giving up much needed picks would be disastrous. How many threads did we read last year about trading up to get Clowney?

We have WAY too many needs and holes to fill to even think about moving up. It's not about moving up. The key is to hit on our top picks instead of consistently missing as we've done in the recent past. At the very minimum our first three picks need to be solid hits. Giving up much needed picks would be disastrous. How many threads did we read last year about trading up to get Clowney?

The knock on Clowney was his work ethic. I understand what you mean about having too many holes. Me personally I don't like the idea of filling all of the holes on your team via the draft. If we can have a good offseason, why not pick a stud DE. We had holes on our team when we traded away our 1st round pick for Abraham.

The knock on Clowney was his work ethic. I understand what you mean about having too many holes. Me personally I don't like the idea of filling all of the holes on your team via the draft. If we can have a good offseason, why not pick a stud DE. We had holes on our team when we traded away our 1st round pick for Abraham.

Guest Mr Plow

I would much rather trade down in the later part of the first round and obtain an extra second round pick. This would at least give us a shot to take two strong defensive players and Todd Gurley. How freaking awesome would that be?

I would much rather trade down in the later part of the first round and obtain an extra second round pick. This would at least give us a shot to take two strong defensive players and Todd Gurley. How freaking awesome would that be?

For what reason would any team bother to trade up with us? What player would they be targeting that they fear the Giants will take? What player are they so deadset on they can't risk losing him any longer?

Guest Mr Plow

For what reason would any team bother to trade up with us? What player would they be targeting that they fear the Giants will take? What player are they so deadset on they can't risk losing him any longer?

There is always a team that has a certain player targeted and fearing that he will be taken if they don't move up. It happens every year. If we traded down from 8 to 12-16 or so for an extra second round pick, we would have three picks in the first two rounds. That gives us lots of options, but the one I like most is two strong pass rushers and Todd Gurley.

Guest Mr Plow

It depends on how quickly two of the three top edge rushers are taken.

I do think that is true, but I still think staying put or trading down is a FAR better option than trading up.

I feel he would be. At Mizzou, he was one of the top edge rushers in the league on pure athleticism alone. He had next to no pass rush moves and relied on his speed and tenacity to get those 14 1/2 sacks. Imagine if our new coach, most likely Quinn gets ahold of him and is able to mold him into a true nightmare. If the other top edge rushers are gone and there's a strong possibility someone like the Giants or Bears are considering him, I'd definitely hope we consider trading up.

Guest Mr Plow

I feel he would be. At Mizzou, he was one of the top edge rushers in the league on pure athleticism alone. He had next to no pass rush moves and relied on his speed and tenacity to get those 14 1/2 sacks. Imagine if our new coach, most likely Quinn gets ahold of him and is able to mold him into a true nightmare. If the other top edge rushers are gone and there's a strong possibility someone like the Giants or Bears are considering him, I'd definitely hope we consider trading up.

At minimum this would cost us our second round pick, and probably more. Do you really think we could afford that?

At minimum this would cost us our second round pick, and probably more. Do you really think we could afford that?

You know, actually. After thinking about it, it might not be the best idea. If Williams, Gregory and Ray are gone by 8 than maybe consider trading down. I've seen Vic Beasley and Dante Fowler moving further and further down the mock draft. If a team wants to take our pick I'd have no problem with it if it meant an extra second and maybe a third. I'd love to be able to grab a linebacker in the second as well as that tight end from minnesota Maxx Williams. Assuming he makes it to the second.