It's Not Td And Pioli, It's Banner's Hands All Over This Hiring Process

paulitik

There's been a citywide meltdown on the boards and talk radio about the lack of urgency on the hiring process and missing out on Rex Ryan and Todd Bowles. A lot of people have used this perception of a lack of urgency to vilify our GM and personnel guy as if they are pulling Arthur Blank's strings.

It's believed on the boards they sabotaged the Rex Ryan hire, and ultimately get Josh McDaniels to create a Patriots South. Personally, I think that's nonsense. Arthur Blank's presser tells us, TD is on the hotseat, and I think he's still here because Blank wants continuity going into the next hire, and his favorite candidate might not be available until after Feburary.

There's a lot that we do know that a lot can be extrapolated from.

Blank hired Joe Banner to assist with the FO and the Stadium Issues.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/12/24/falcons-using-joe-banner-as-a-consultant/

Last year, Joe Banner and the Cleveland Browns used Korn Ferry to assist in their HC search, they hired Mike Pettine after Dan Quinn decided not to interview until after the Super Bowl. It was reported Banner really wanted Quinn.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000323714/article/dan-quinn-i-wouldve-been-interested-in-browns-job

4 days after th Banner hire it was leaked that Arthur hired Korn Ferry

http://fantasynews.cbssports.com/fantasyfootball/update/24919540/report-falcons-hire-korn-ferry-firm-to-aid-in-possible-coaching-search

After the loss to Carolina, we fire Mike Smith, and Thomas Dimitroff's role is marginalized. Blank says he will make the decision of who to hire. (Somehow TATF believes Dimitroff has somehow sabotaged hiring process and conspired with Pioli to bring Josh McDaniels)

After the first round of interviews, it is rumored that Quinn was really impressive. The day after the Rex Ryan interview we reshuffle the FO duties, giving Pioli more personnel power, and the new HC autonomy from the GM, but reporting directly to Arthur.

Rex and Bowles get passed on, they go to the 2 most desperate teams in the NFL.

It's pretty obvious now that they weren't offered anything by the Falcons, and that Qunn has been the target the whole time.

I think Banner has been Arthur's go to guy. If you want to blame someone, he looks the the one behind this offseason.

I think TD gets a year to prove himself, but don't be surpirsed if he's just being used to keep operations going until we get our new HC after the Super Bowl. You might see him leave like Banner left Cleveland a few weeks after their hire of Pettine.

The hairy ape says everything will be fine. TD has been moved to being the payroll/accountant. That's like getting rid of your GM in a way. Yet you keep him away from going to other teams to tell them what guys you are looking at. Plus Thomas knows how to do contacts. Thomas had never had us cap strapped. We always have money too spend and get to keep all of our toys that are hitting free agency that we want to keep.

But, one thing to note by the hairy ape, "these new falcons are not going to be like your daddies falcons of just a few years ago." Things will be changed drastically. Smith/freeman might be looking like the old Steven Jackson and the old Adrian Peterson.

Guest facelessman07

Banner regrets not taking Quinn the last time.............

Although I'm sure he doesn't regret it as much now since Quinn won't have to deal with management telling him to start Manziel and he can come to a better organization

Banner and Lombardi were joined at the hip, and McDaniels was the "Apple of lombardi's eye", until McDaniels pulled out.

And yet Banner has repeatedly said to anyone who will listen that not getting that 2nd interview with Quinn was "one of the hardest decisions Ive ever made."

There's been a citywide meltdown on the boards and talk radio about the lack of urgency on the hiring process and missing out on Rex Ryan and Todd Bowles. A lot of people have used this perception of a lack of urgency to vilify our GM and personnel guy as if they are pulling Arthur Blank's strings.

It's believed on the boards they sabotaged the Rex Ryan hire, and ultimately get Josh McDaniels to create a Patriots South. Personally, I think that's nonsense. Arthur Blank's presser tells us, TD is on the hotseat, and I think he's still here because Blank wants continuity going into the next hire, and his favorite candidate might not be available until after Feburary.

There's a lot that we do know that a lot can be extrapolated from.

Blank hired Joe Banner to assist with the FO and the Stadium Issues.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/12/24/falcons-using-joe-banner-as-a-consultant/

Last year, Joe Banner and the Cleveland Browns used Korn Ferry to assist in their HC search, they hired Mike Pettine after Dan Quinn decided not to interview until after the Super Bowl. It was reported Banner really wanted Quinn.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000323714/article/dan-quinn-i-wouldve-been-interested-in-browns-job

4 days after th Banner hire it was leaked that Arthur hired Korn Ferry

http://fantasynews.cbssports.com/fantasyfootball/update/24919540/report-falcons-hire-korn-ferry-firm-to-aid-in-possible-coaching-search

After the loss to Carolina, we fire Mike Smith, and Thomas Dimitroff's role is marginalized. Blank says he will make the decision of who to hire. (Somehow TATF believes Dimitroff has somehow sabotaged hiring process and conspired with Pioli to bring Josh McDaniels)

After the first round of interviews, it is rumored that Quinn was really impressive. The day after the Rex Ryan interview we reshuffle the FO duties, giving Pioli more personnel power, and the new HC autonomy from the GM, but reporting directly to Arthur.

Rex and Bowles get passed on, they go to the 2 most desperate teams in the NFL.

It's pretty obvious now that they weren't offered anything by the Falcons, and that Qunn has been the target the whole time.

I think Banner has been Arthur's go to guy. If you want to blame someone, he looks the the one behind this offseason.

I think TD gets a year to prove himself, but don't be surpirsed if he's just being used to keep operations going until we get our new HC after the Super Bowl. You might see him leave like Banner left Cleveland a few weeks after their hire of Pettine.

In the link you used as far as Banner helping the Falcons;

"Banner’s apparently talking to owner Arthur Blank about stadium and business issues, rather than football."

As for TD and Pioli, they are there helping with the interview process. Did we not just hear a couple of days ago Pioli commenting on Austin in the interview? Also was it not TD and Piolio championing McDaniels also? Call me crazy but I thought GM's job is to hire coaches.

Give us one source where Banner has any influence on Mike Smith being fired or helping with who will be the next head coach for the Falcons?

In the link you used as far as Banner helping the Falcons;

"Banners apparently talking to owner Arthur Blank about stadium and business issues, rather than football."

As for TD and Pioli, they are there helping with the interview process. Did we not just hear a couple of days ago Pioli commenting on Austin in the interview? Also was it not TD and Piolio championing McDaniels also? Call me crazy but I thought GM's job is to hire coaches.

Give us one source where Banner has any influence on Mike Smith being fired or helping with who will be the next head coach for the Falcons?

Of course TD and Pioli are involved in interviews with a HC they are going to work with And yes, they are going to have input. I never said they didn't. Blank is making the decision. He's not going to let his GM make it for him.

The point of this thread was that Banner had more influence on Blank, because he's the new set of eyes, the fresh voice. My point is that the people having a hissyfit about TD ruining everything in this coaching hire are mistaken.

Of course TD and Pioli are involved in interviews with a HC they are going to work with And yes, they are going to have input. I never said they didn't. Blank is making the decision. He's not going to let his GM make it for him.

The point of this thread was that Banner had more influence on Blank, because he's the new set of eyes, the fresh voice. My point is that the people having a hissyfit about TD ruining everything in this coaching hire are mistaken.

No. You said that people were wrong about TD ruining everything BECAUSE you said "I think Banner has been Arthur's go to guy. If you want to blame someone, he looks the the one behind this off-season."

In your link it said Banner was not used for football reasons but business reasons related to the new stadium. Also even if AB is doing the hiring, TD is there in the interview room to help with the hiring at the very least. If TD or Pioli had nothing to do with the hiring there would be no reason for them to be in the interview room at all. Also it makes no sense to champion McDaniels at all if neither of them are going to be involved with the hiring either.

Edited by Intellectually Honest

No. You said that people were wrong about TD ruining everything BECAUSE you said "I think Banner has been Arthur's go to guy. If you want to blame someone, he looks the the one behind this off-season."

In your link it said Banner was not used for football reasons but business reasons related to the new stadium. Also even if AB is doing the hiring, TD is there in the interview room to help with the hiring at the very least. If TD or Pioli had nothing to do with the hiring there would be no reason for them to be in the interview room at all. Also it makes no sense to champion McDaniels at all if neither of them are going to be involved with the hiring either.

Dude, Arthur is making the ultimate decision, and I'm sure he's going to take what TD and Pioli advise and consider it, but they're are not making the decision. If you think someone with the experience of Joe Banner is coming in just for "business reasons", you're kidding yourself. Sometimes business and football decisions are the same thing. Banner was hired when we were on a playoff run. Arthur was pissed about the Korn Ferry leak. He's not going to announce to the press that he hired someone to help him find a new coach, possibly a new GM, especially when we still had a chance to win the division.

I'm sure it's just a huge coincedence that we hired Banner, then used the same company he hired the year before, and are targeting his favorite coaching candidate from the coaching search he was involved in with his previous team.