Waiting For Coordinators

WOR

Well it looks like waiting for Quinn will no longer be a problem.

But with that we will have to wait 3 weeks to hire coordinators as well, won't we? What coordinator is going to wait for another month when they can be hired right now?

That worries me. If we wait for Quinn we will be the last coordinator job available I would assume. Thats a lot of risk for coordinators. Guys like Shannahan could decide to go ahead and sign elsewhere.

Would you take Quinn and if-y coordinators over Austin and guys he can hire right now?

Well Quinn should be heavily involved on defense so its ok if we have a dc operating as his assistant in that regard. It's only OC that should be a concern. But if we put a wink wink deal in place I'm sure Quinn can get a commitment. Our offense is very attractive to a good OC.

Well it looks like waiting for Quinn will no longer be a problem.

But with that we will have to wait 3 weeks to hire coordinators as well, won't we? What coordinator is going to wait for another month when they can be hired right now?

That worries me. If we wait for Quinn we will be the last coordinator job available I would assume. Thats a lot of risk for coordinators. Guys like Shannahan could decide to go ahead and sign elsewhere.

Would you take Quinn and if-y coordinators over Austin and guys he can hire right now?

Some coaching hires come in packaged deals. Shanahan's name hasn't really been thrown around much lately so it could be that he's holding out for an ideal position (the most enticing of which is arguably here in ATL). If so, don't be surprised that when we hire Quinn, Shanahan quickly follows as well. Quinn has already expressed interest in working with Shanahan.

Well since rumor has it quinn and austin would bring gase in as a OC if hes available. This makes it even a smarter move to go ahead and interview the man themselves for the OC position.. not very common at all, but given the fact both coaches want him only works in everyones favor.

I keep hearing people say "why don't we get ____ to be our new coordinator. Am I wrong in the assumption that new head coach will have more to say about that than anyone else? I don't think you can put together an "all-star" cast of coaches/coordinators. Isn't the chemistry between coach and coordinator something that is super important. I mean it would sound good to have Quinn as coach with Shanahan and Austin as coordinators but if those guys don't all get along, it could be more harmful than helpful.

Buck Belue is talking about this now.

I swear listening to these radio stations, I think they get half of their material from this place.

LOL........

Bio on Travis Jones and why I think he follows Quinn......

Named to his current position on February 13, 2013, Jones joins Dan Quinn’s staff after spending the previous five seasons as assistant defensive line coach for the New Orleans Saints. He began his NFL career with the Miami Dolphins from 2005-07, where he and Quinn were on the same defensive staff. Jones inherits one of the most versatile lines in the NFL. Chris Clemons, who has 33.5 sacks in 48 games for Seattle, became just the third player in franchise history (Jacob Green, Michael Sinclair) to record double-digit sacks in three consecutive seasons and joins 323-pound Red Bryant as defensive ends. Defensive tackle stalwart Brandon Mebane’s 112 tackles over the past two seasons lead the NFC (3rd NFL).

GM John Schneider strengthened the line in the offseason with free agent additions DE Cliff Avril, DT Tony McDaniel and Michael Bennett, who can play both end and tackle. In 2009 with the Saints, defensive end Will Smith enjoyed his finest season as he ranked fifth in the NFL with 13.0 sacks, while the trio of Sedrick Ellis, Anthony Hargrove and Remi Ayodele provided a solid pass rush on the interior line that played an important role in its Super Bowl XLIV victory over Indianapolis.

Prior to arriving in New Orleans, Jones spent three seasons with the Miami Dolphins, his first year as assistant defensive line coach and his final two seasons tutoring the outside linebackers and defensive ends. During his Dolphins tenure, the line recorded 92.0 sacks. Defensive end Jason Taylor was selected to the Pro Bowl each year and was named the 2007 NFL Defensive Player of the Year. The Dolphins ranked second in the league in sacks in 2005 and third in 2006.

He began his coaching career at his alma mater, Georgia, in 1997 as a graduate assistant/defensive line before moving on to Appalachian State (1998-00), Kansas (2001-02) and LSU (2003-04), where he was the defensive line coach/recruiting coordinator for the Tigers.

At LSU, Jones coached a defensive front that featured defensive tackle Chad Lavalais, a consensus All-American, finalist for the Nagurski and Lombardi Awards and the SEC Defensive Player of the Year. Following the

2003 BCS National Championship season, Lavalais and defensive end Marquise Hill were both selected in the NFL Draft. Defensive End Marcus Spears was also named All-SEC in 2003, a consensus All-American in 2004 and a first-round draft pick by the Dallas Cowboys in 2005.

Jones was a four-year letter-winner for the Bulldogs (1990-92, 94) as a defensive lineman and served as team captain as a senior, playing one season with the Baltimore Stallions of the CFL in 1995 following graduation. He earned his master’s degree in 1998.

Born on June 6, 1972, in Irwinton, Ga., for the last eight years Jones has held a football camp for youngsters in central Georgia that teaches the fundamentals of football, sportsmanship and the importance of goal-setting to serve them on and off the field.

If Quinn is indeed the HC then wouldn't he need permission to bring Seattle assistants with him if they are under contract? Why would Seattle let him take their assistants? To my knowledge, the only job a team can't block interviews for is for a HC position

If a coach wants to leave most teams either let them walk or promote them....... Hawks very well could make him their DC but we'll see.......