****** Official Gaming Thread ******

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

@Ovie_Lover @JD dirtybird21 @blkbigdog35 already told @blkbigdog35 that I’m not supporting EA anymore. This is huge news for me. I know 2k isn’t perfect but it can’t be much worse than anything E

My 8 year old sassy daughter won't play her PS3 unless she gets to play online. I use to let her play online until I noticed 20 friend request in her mailbox from God knows who. I told her that I play

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...
19 hours ago, Scrunchomarx said:

hooked up my PS4 again. anything I should be playing? no RPGs doe

Just bought Tony Hawk Pro Skater 1+2 remake and it’s awesome. Been playing that one a lot lately.

If you haven’t played Horizon:Zero Dawn or God of War yet, those are both great. Been wanting to pick up Ghost of Tsushima too

What kind of games do you like?

51 minutes ago, Carter said:

Just bought Tony Hawk Pro Skater 1+2 remake and it’s awesome. Been playing that one a lot lately.

If you haven’t played Horizon:Zero Dawn or God of War yet, those are both great. Been wanting to pick up Ghost of Tsushima too

What kind of games do you like?

I forgot about the ghost game. im a try that. racing and GTA are really the only games I get into. and metal gear. most games lose my attention pretty quick, but its been so long since I actually spent time on anything that was a Forza game. and that's been pretty recent!

On 9/15/2020 at 12:06 PM, Scrunchomarx said:

I forgot about the ghost game. im a try that. racing and GTA are really the only games I get into. and metal gear. most games lose my attention pretty quick, but its been so long since I actually spent time on anything that was a Forza game. and that's been pretty recent!

If you enjoy GTA you may also like Red Dead Redemption 2.  It is made by the same folks who made GTA.

• 2 weeks later...

So I just got the Oculus Quest 2 and I have to say that it’s a major improvement.  There is still a small “screen door” effect, but it’s very small compared to the original Quest.  The only way that I notice it now is if I concentrate on areas with a lot of white.  The overwhelming majority of the time I don’t notice it at all, which was not the case with the original.  So that part is a huge improvement alone.  But the headset itself is noticeably smaller and lighter.  Holding the new and the old version side by side, you can’t really see much of a difference in size or weight.  But when it’s on my head, I absolutely notice that the Quest 2 is lighter and smaller.  

Weirdly, that makes the device feel a little cheaper and more like a toy.  Maybe the shift to white plastic and stretch bands contributes to that perception, but this device definitely feels less “serious” than the original.  And I know that’s unfair because in almost every other way the new Quest is a lot better than the original one.  The biggest surprise, unfortunately, was that load times don’t seem all that quicker.  Games might load a little quicker, but it’s not as noticeable as I would have thought given the processor upgrade.  That might be because all of that processing power is going to better resolution and graphics.  

Overall, I’m glad that I upgraded from the original for the better resolution alone.  I’m apparently part of a minority of people for whom the screen door effect is very irritating and noticeable.  That was my biggest complaint with the original Quest and they took a huge step forward in addressing that problem.  

My PS4 suddenly started overheating.  It is catastrophic in that the machine gives me 3 beeps then shuts down with no other warning.  I just took the thing apart down to the heat sink.  Going to get a can of air and try blowing it out, but the eye test doesn't look like there is that much dust in there.  Anyone have experience with this issue?  The PS4 has been running flawlessly where it sits since I bought it a good 7ish years ago.  I am OCD about keeping the side vents clear of dust clogs. This issue just started suddenly yesterday.  Fan appears to be spinning when the unit is on.  Has it just gone to PS4 heaven, or am I missing something?

On 10/17/2020 at 5:49 AM, Googlywoogly said:

My PS4 suddenly started overheating.  It is catastrophic in that the machine gives me 3 beeps then shuts down with no other warning.  I just took the thing apart down to the heat sink.  Going to get a can of air and try blowing it out, but the eye test doesn't look like there is that much dust in there.  Anyone have experience with this issue?  The PS4 has been running flawlessly where it sits since I bought it a good 7ish years ago.  I am OCD about keeping the side vents clear of dust clogs. This issue just started suddenly yesterday.  Fan appears to be spinning when the unit is on.  Has it just gone to PS4 heaven, or am I missing something?

Haven’t heard of that before. The PS4 has always been loud though, it wouldn’t surprise me if they have overheating problems. I’ve had the same one since 2014 and only had to change out the hard drive because it started corrupting and forcing a full reinstall of the system.

Think that’s why they designed the PS5 so freaking big, for the cooling technology to be more effective. That sucker has a huge fan and Sony said it will be continually tweaked with software updates too. 

After much research I think my issue is it needs new thermal paste.  Apparently Sony used cheap product that breaks down easier than good product.  Replacing the paste requires completely disassembling the device all the way down to the motherboard.  That was something I wasn't comfortable doing so I took it to a place that works on computers.  I may need a new fan too.  I couldn't tell if it was working correctly or not.  I took the bottom off and exposed the power supply and fan.  I put the ps4 on its side propped up by books and put a big window box fan next to it on high.  It would operate, more or less, without shutting down due to overheating with the big box fan blowing on it.