ya_boi_j

****** Official Gaming Thread ******

1,830 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, AF89 said:

That soundtrack makes me nostalgic as fuq

Even the duller songs more routine songs are nostalgic 

1 hour ago, AF89 said:

FF9 was always my personal favorite for some reason

(I think I just really like the way they did the world building for that one)

That soundtrack is good too. Ff9 was truly for the fans. Return to classic mysticism 

AF89 likes this

26 minutes ago, VTCrunkler said:

That soundtrack is good too. Ff9 was truly for the fans. Return to classic mysticism 

Everybody in your party had a rigid role which just made everything feel more natural too.

In 7 and 8 literally everybody was a warrior/summoner/magic user many of the differences tended to be more ascetic. 

But 9 not only set each character on a specialized role but it was worked heavily into the story. being able to summon demi gods by only 2 characters for instance was treated as a big deal.

The writing was stronger than your typical JRPG imo as well. (Tho I haven't played it in years to be fair)

Carter and VTCrunkler like this

4 hours ago, AF89 said:

Everybody in your party had a rigid role which just made everything feel more natural too.

In 7 and 8 literally everybody was a warrior/summoner/magic user many of the differences tended to be more ascetic. 

But 9 not only set each character on a specialized role but it was worked heavily into the story. being able to summon demi gods by only 2 characters for instance was treated as a big deal.

The writing was stronger than your typical JRPG imo as well. (Tho I haven't played it in years to be fair)

I 9 did have a pretty good story. I also liked the defined character role. In a way the battle system was simplified, not more complicated.  8 was just s mess for me. 

AF89 likes this

8 hours ago, AF89 said:

FF9 was always my personal favorite for some reason

(I think I just really like the way they did the world building for that one)

I'm an old school FF player.

I never played any after FF7.

That said FF4 is my favorite, particularly the DS version where they stepped it up a notch.  

I never liked the futuristic turn they made with FF6 and FF7.  

Love the job system in 3 and 5 as well.  

AF89 likes this

On 7/18/2019 at 2:24 PM, The Legendary SB said:

I'm an old school FF player.

I never played any after FF7.

That said FF4 is my favorite, particularly the DS version where they stepped it up a notch.  

I never liked the futuristic turn they made with FF6 and FF7.  

Love the job system in 3 and 5 as well.  

I played FF 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 and 15? 

VTCrunkler likes this

28 minutes ago, Nereek said:

Lot of book material in that trailer that might be unfamiliar to people who only played the games including lumpy hunchback Yennifer

28 minutes ago, AF89 said:

Lot of book material in that trailer that might be unfamiliar to people who only played the games including lumpy hunchback Yennifer

Yeah, but I think the biggest issue would be fans comparing this to game of thrones. Speaking of the series, I do think Netflix screwed up with yen casting. I think Katie Mcgarth was the perfect choice for Yen imo.

1 minute ago, Nereek said:

Yeah, but I think the biggest issue would be fans comparing this to game of thrones. Speaking of the series, I do think Netflix screwed up with yen casting. I think Katie Mcgarth was the perfect choice for Yen imo.

I wonder how similarly thier allowed to go near the games? I think the books and games are two distinct copyrighted entities since CD Project and the author had a falling out and he sued

1 hour ago, AF89 said:

I wonder how similarly thier allowed to go near the games? I think the books and games are two distinct copyrighted entities since CD Project and the author had a falling out and he sued

Probably wont have many at all, like 2 swords on the back via game. A friend already asked me after watching the trailer "he has 2 swords, where is the other sword" and I tell him he doesn't carry 2 swords at a time on his back, that's just for the video game adaptation and in the novel, the silver sword was on roach. Which I think he rarely uses.

But I do hope we get a bearded Gearlt later on in the series though.

Similarly between game of thrones and the witch would be medieval setting with drama, monsters and fantasy.

Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 is fun. It's pretty much what the other UA games were, so really it won't be something everyone enjoys. It's kinda mindless like an old Dynasty Warriors game, corridor crawling button masher... with leveling up aspects and a gear/loot mechanic in the form of Iso-8 stones that give specific boosts.

The camera is god awful in couch co-op. Heroic camera is far better but it doesn't work in couch co-op. Very very poor camera execution in way too many situations though. I dunno if they can patch that, I hope so. It's not game breaking but it is pretty terrible sometimes.

On 7/18/2019 at 6:34 AM, AF89 said:

This is probably what I liked the most about 9 (and I loved pretty much everything about 9). FF7 and 8 it was purely aesthetic, other than Aerith who was pretty much only good for magic/healing. Especially in 8 though, a game I didn't even bother beating because it was so lame and the characters other than Squall and Rinoa were so forgettable. Any character could be anything you equipped them to be. The Draw system itemizing skills and magic was garbage.

When 9 came out and it had hard set job roles for each character I was so stoked. I still think 9 is the most under appreciated FF game. It was honestly a bold move to make that game what it was after the success they had with 7 and 8 going in a totally different direction... and it was a lot better than both imo.

I am still hoping to see Square Enix put out a classic style FF game that is just visually polished and stays true to the old school formula, maybe with some clever modernization. They need to bring back the true turn based battle style or at least the Chrono Trigger ATB style. Dragon Quest XI doesn't have the great characters of some of the FF games but it is a surprisingly great JRPG. FF7Remake looks pretty legit even if it's not in the same vein I'm talking about here. I know they have the creative minds to do it.

AF89 and VTCrunkler like this

7 minutes ago, Carter said:

This is probably what I liked the most about 9 (and I loved pretty much everything about 9). FF7 and 8 it was purely aesthetic, other than Aerith who was pretty much only good for magic/healing. Especially in 8 though, a game I didn't even bother beating because it was so lame and the characters other than Squall and Rinoa were so forgettable. Any character could be anything you equipped them to be. The Draw system itemizing skills and magic was garbage.

When 9 came out and it had hard set job roles for each character I was so stoked. I still think 9 is the most under appreciated FF game. It was honestly a bold move to make that game what it was after the success they had with 7 and 8 going in a totally different direction... and it was a lot better than both imo.

I am still hoping to see Square Enix put out a classic style FF game that is just visually polished and stays true to the old school formula, maybe with some clever modernization. They need to bring back the true turn based battle style or at least the Chrono Trigger ATB style. Dragon Quest XI doesn't have the great characters of some of the FF games but it is a surprisingly great JRPG. FF7Remake looks pretty legit even if it's not in the same vein I'm talking about here. I know they have the creative minds to do it.

Yeah and even with Aerith I mean you lose her midway through the game (er...spoiler?) and it's not really some scramble to replace her, anybody else can play the white mage role albiet to a lesser extent

contrast to that I remember when the story would contrive to take Dagger away at certain points and it made you rework your entire strategy (usually around potions and keeping Vivi alive)

I kinda agree with Steve tho,  the medieval/steampunk fantasy FFs are more my cup of tea (obviously if you ever see what books I talk about) storywise than the utopian/dystopian sci fi ones tho when I first got my PS2 and popped in X that opening sequence did blow me away

6 will always be my favorite FF though. It was everything that 4 was, just turned up a few notches. One of my favorite gaming memories is waking up in the new world and checking the world map and being like “ohhh ****”

VTCrunkler likes this

On 7/20/2019 at 0:15 AM, Carter said:

9 was an homage to the fans...it brought back all the things you mentioned-  nostalgia, easy, polished, true to classic form.  i never got into 8- battle system too complicated for the graphics (i played it a couple years ago and graphics didnt really stand up and it wasnt worth it to me).  some lists 9 as one of the best rated ones.  

i played and beat dragon quest VIII.  good game nice cartoonish graphics and gameplay, but it was a GRIND.

Carter likes this

On 7/20/2019 at 10:08 AM, Carter said:

6 will always be my favorite FF though. It was everything that 4 was, just turned up a few notches. One of my favorite gaming memories is waking up in the new world and checking the world map and being like “ohhh ****”

6 is a solid choice.  for me, my fav is 4

Carter likes this

On 7/19/2019 at 8:23 PM, AF89 said:

Yall made me buy FF9 for the Xbox to play this weekend.  This is on you guys

and the result?

9 minutes ago, VTCrunkler said:

and the result?

^_^ Very nostalgic catharsis

My only complaint is they could have done a better job repixelating the environment. I've seen PC mods on youtube for FF9 that look amazing

VTCrunkler likes this

1 hour ago, AF89 said:

^_^ Very nostalgic catharsis

My only complaint is they could have done a better job repixelating the environment. I've seen PC mods on youtube for FF9 that look amazing

Very good. Very good. Did you beat it?

4 hours ago, VTCrunkler said:

9 was an homage to the fans...it brought back all the things you mentioned-  nostalgia, easy, polished, true to classic form.  i never got into 8- battle system too complicated for the graphics (i played it a couple years ago and graphics didnt really stand up and it wasnt worth it to me).  some lists 9 as one of the best rated ones.  

i played and beat dragon quest VIII.  good game nice cartoonish graphics and gameplay, but it was a GRIND.

Dragon Quest XI is definitely a grind. The music sucks but it's a great JRPG grind though. It's also another example of how DQ just doesn't sell very well outside of Japan no matter how good it is. I still haven't beaten it lol but I'm a crappy gamer these days, I don't really stick to the games like I used to. The number of games I've started and not beaten or even gotten halfway through in the last 10 years is pretty crazy.

Square is basically afraid to develop a new Final Fantasy game with an old school style battle system though. Back to at least 13 they have consistently commented on pushing an action style battle system because of the technology and common screen sizes now. Basically they think people would get very bored very quickly without the combat being simplified to a few repetitive button presses, essentially running on auto pilot and giving the gamer a bunch of cool HD particle effects to look at.

I don't get it. 7 and 10 are still the highest grossing main line FF games by a wide margin... and I think 8 and 6 are the next ones. All turn based/ATB style. 

7Remake at least looks like it tries to reinject the strategy elements of turn based with the action style controls... along with making long range attack characters situationally relevant. Feels like the decision to do episodic releases is a big fail, even if each one is a fully fleshed out feature length game. People aren't going to pay $60+ 3+ times for the full FF7 remake. Not to mention the fact that it will bleed across console generations and that will further cannibalize their earnings.

VTCrunkler likes this

Me and my roommate back in college did a FF7 run one summer we were taking extra classes and campus was pretty much deserted. (Did it up big too,  even drove from Statesboro to Atlanta and back in one day to grab all my old ps2 stuff)

I will say it's funny/jarring tackling some of these older RPGs and seeing how fast I can actually go through them now. My memories of most of these older FF games were these 100+ hour epics that took me literal years of coming home from school and trying to squeeze in a few hours between homework and baseball practice.

These were also sorta the early Internet days and also I was like 7 or 8 so sometimes I could get stuck on a boss for awhile cause I probably wasn't at my peak strategically (or even worse when my disc had a smudge on it or something and would continuely freeze up at a specific spot)

You know I had never actually seen the full ending FMV for FF9 until Youtube became a thing years later. It always froze on me.

On 7/24/2019 at 1:57 AM, Carter said:

Dragon Quest XI is definitely a grind. The music sucks but it's a great JRPG grind though. It's also another example of how DQ just doesn't sell very well outside of Japan no matter how good it is. I still haven't beaten it lol but I'm a crappy gamer these days, I don't really stick to the games like I used to. The number of games I've started and not beaten or even gotten halfway through in the last 10 years is pretty crazy.

Square is basically afraid to develop a new Final Fantasy game with an old school style battle system though. Back to at least 13 they have consistently commented on pushing an action style battle system because of the technology and common screen sizes now. Basically they think people would get very bored very quickly without the combat being simplified to a few repetitive button presses, essentially running on auto pilot and giving the gamer a bunch of cool HD particle effects to look at.

I don't get it. 7 and 10 are still the highest grossing main line FF games by a wide margin... and I think 8 and 6 are the next ones. All turn based/ATB style. 

7Remake at least looks like it tries to reinject the strategy elements of turn based with the action style controls... along with making long range attack characters situationally relevant. Feels like the decision to do episodic releases is a big fail, even if each one is a fully fleshed out feature length game. People aren't going to pay $60+ 3+ times for the full FF7 remake. Not to mention the fact that it will bleed across console generations and that will further cannibalize their earnings.

Started looking back on 15, the other day, and came to a horrifying thought that with the general popularity of how 7 has aged combined with how well at least this first installment is likely to sell...

I'm sorta now expecting some the cringeist product placements ever known to mankind as Cloud, Aerith and Tifa spend an entire cut scene waxing enthusiastically about how much they enjoy Pepsi products and you make party member changes on you AT&T 2020 model Galaxy smart phone. :lol:

Barrett;: Nothing worth fighting for was ever won without sacrifice...#$#$% I sure could go for Bud light...are you listening to me Cloud!!!

Carter likes this