Everything You Need To Know About Dan Quinn's Defense

Rings

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually Gus Bradley is the one that would play Tyson Jackson at LDE. He signed Red Bryant away to play LDE for him when he went to Jax. Quinn gladly let him go signing 6-4, 274# Michael Bennett from the Bucs who had 9 sacks in contract year and a penchant for being a great run defender. If Quinn comes here he would likely use Jackson at 1T behind Soliai making him a bad contract to unload. Goodman is a good run defender and the right size for Quinn at LDE but is best suited to back up as he has not developed as a pass rusher. Maybe Quinn could have same influence on Goodman developing him as pass rusher. We need a starter there though and while Hageman fits the bill as a pass rusher who has made flashy plays in the run, Hageman may be better off as a one gap responsibility relying on him to start. That makes Babinaux a cap casualty to sign a Leo. Tysons 5 mil kills us at LDE since that is what Seatle gave Bennett annually for 15.5 sacks the past two years. I wonder if Brandon Graham could start at LDE for Quinn? Justin Houston would be great as Leo with Osi and Kroy departing to allocate their funds to new Leo and LDE. Add Babinaux's money to that as well as Peters and maybe Tysons if they can trade him because they sure cant cut him. He is about to be a very expensive back up. Seatle has notable starters and unknowns for depth.

If Quinn is the hire I fully expect our 1st round pick to be either Vic Beasley or Shane Ray, both being quick twitch speed rushers who would be perfect in the LEO DE role, and to get someone like Pernell McPhee to be his new Michael Bennett. Who would fill the Sam LB role is a bigger question.

Don't discount Dante Fowler. Quinn recruited him to Florida and knows him very well. Lots of mutual respect between those two and Fowler knows the system...

Best quote from this article, and one I've seen a version of with every Quinn article:

"It also doesn't mean Quinn is married to this scheme. He is known for adjusting his scheme to fit his players and putting players where they can succeed."

That would be such a nice change from Smith, BVG & Nolan.

Y'all care WAY too much about 4-3 and 3-4, as if there's not several schemes that differ from each other even though they may be ran out of a similar formation. See that original picture with the player titled the "LEO?" Okay, stand him up... BAM! Now you have a 3-4. Now stop worrying about it.

I'm so exhausted...

Y'all care WAY too much about 4-3 and 3-4, as if there's not several schemes that differ from each other even though they may be ran out of a similar formation. See that original picture with the player titled "LEO?" Okay, stand him up... BAM! Now you have a 3-4. Now stop worrying about it.

Sure. And when that happens, you end up with Massaquai covering the flat. A 3-4 LB typically has to do different things than a 4-3 end. No, not always, but generally speaking.

I'm actually not a big fan of the 4-3 under at all. It's extremely predictable.

I like Seattle's defense - but you can run "predictable" when you are that talented. For Falcons, I doubt they can fill all their needs in 1 offseason - it might take 3 offseasons to get all the personnel on defense that Quinn would want. Until then, we are going to have to run a lot of deception.

Again. Its a very simple system to run, but it is FAR from predictable. Even harder to stop.

LEO = pass rusher

NT = takea double teama

DE = 2 gap responsibility

Cover 3 soft zones

Extremely easy to game plan against such defined roles.

A press man 3-4 like Rex runs has an incredible amount of options and differing responsibilities play to play.

I like Seattle's defense - but you can run "predictable" when you are that talented. For Falcons, I doubt they can fill all their needs in 1 offseason - it might take 3 offseasons to get all the personnel on defense that Quinn would want. Until then, we are going to have to run a lot of deception.

Perfectly said

Exactly, a lot of deception/ smoke & mirrors is needed when the unit is devoid of talent. When you have talent, it's about hat on a hat, executing your assignment and winning your battle.

LEO = pass rusher

NT = takea double teama

Cover 3 soft zones

A press man 3-4 like Rex runs has an incredible amount of options and differing responsibilities play to play.

What? No. What? This has to be an agenda man, that makes no sense at all.

Cover 3 and Zone = More eyes on the ball and Running QBs = More Turnovers. I feel our corners are play best when they can break on the ball. I really like Quinn being a good D-line guy in the past, I think we will see approved development from this position which struggled heavily under Smith.

LEO = pass rusher

NT = takea double teama

Cover 3 soft zones

If it was so easy then why is Seattle's defense the best in the league?

If Mike Smith had Kam Chancellor, Earl Thomas, Richard Sherman, Cliff Averil, Kevin Williams and Michael Bennet on his defense he would have had a Superbowl right now and still be head coach, those players will make any coach look good in a 4-3, 3-4, 46 whatever.

If hips and nuts were cherries and butts we'd all have a Merry Christmas...

Guest facelessman07

If Mike Smith had Kam Chancellor, Earl Thomas, Richard Sherman, Cliff Averil, Kevin Williams and Michael Bennet on his defense he would have had a Superbowl right now and still be head coach, those players will make any coach look good in a 4-3, 3-4, 46 whatever.

No, most of those players wouldn't even be starting for Smith

They'd be rotting on the bench